Welcome Welcome Luke Jackson!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I do get confused by people who thought Gawn and Jackson was the best ruck combo in the league, but somehow he can't play in the same team as Darcy

And Gawn had such a good finals series that year because he wasn’t knackered from being the solo ruck for the whole season.

The combo should lift both of their games. Darcy has more of a spell during the year and Jackson doesn’t get beaten up by the gorilla rucks

Exceptional around the ground, but he was pretty soundly beaten in the ruck by Xerri. He needs to learn how to nullify superior ruckmen, although perhaps the onus is on the midfield group to learn how to shark from other ruckmen. But maybe this is just the argument for why the Darcy/Jackson combo is better than one on their own.

I want to make this very clear - I'm still very much in favour of the Jackson/Darcy combo.

But we've been sold a unicorn with this recruitment and at this point in time I don't think we've even tried to use him in such a manner this season except for a few minutes in the first half against Richmond before Darcy went down.

Because if all we are getting is a back-up ruck and 3rd KPF we've wildly over-spent.

I really want to see more midfield minutes for LJ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to make this very clear - I'm still very much in favour of the Jackson/Darcy combo.

But we've been sold a unicorn with this recruitment and at this point in time I don't think we've even tried to use him in such a manner this season except for a few minutes in the first half against Richmond before Darcy went down.

Because if all we are getting is a back-up ruck and 3rd KPF we've wildly over-spent.

Yep, completely agree.

Getting wasted big time at the moment.

Might be something that gets established over the off season. Right now body wise it seems like he's too small to play a sustained run of games as main ruck (takes too much out of him), but also might not be able to fully run out games as that complete unicorn. Jackson has come into both his seasons at Freo with JL saying the plan for him was fwd-ruck, so you'd assume his training regimen was in line with that goal.

With Jackson's presence in the fwd line being valuable but less vital as Amiss and Treacy continue to develop, hopefully he gets a full pre-season where he trains to be more involved up the ground.

People were talking Jackson up as a player with the potential to win a Brownlow one day but on current form he is no where near it. He is only 22 so has time on his hands but we are about to enter our premiership window so sooner rather then later would be better Jacko!

If this guy can take his game to the next level he will be a literal game winner for us. He needs a huge preseason to get stronger and get back the contested marking potential he has. Hopefully, they also trial Jackson in the midfield because I don't think we are getting the most out of him atm. Would be a great way to cover Fyfe as well.

People were talking Jackson up as a player with the potential to win a Brownlow one day but on current form he is no where near it. He is only 22 so has time on his hands but we are about to enter our premiership window so sooner rather then later would be better Jacko!

If this guy can take his game to the next level he will be a literal game winner for us. He needs a huge preseason to get stronger and get back the contested marking potential he has. Hopefully, they also trial Jackson in the midfield because I don't think we are getting the most out of him atm. Would be a great way to cover Fyfe as well.
All he has to do is hold his marks. He gets that aspect right and he's a ruck/mid/def/40+goal a year forward. Can he get that right? No idea, but watch out if he does.

he is not as on fire this season as he was last season, but I agree is young and VERY talented

Totally. It's a dumb take but gets fuelled by the money they are both supposedly on and the general disrespect paid to the ruck role.

Plenty of flags have been won by teams with so-so rucks, but there are more that were won with a big man doing the heavy lifting.

Geebung needed Ottens to get it done.

Keating was parachuted in at the pointy end for the Brions like heavy artillery.

Even Sydney need Jason Ball.

We see all thoughout this season that when Bubba plays, and especially against a team with a good ruckman, that having the best ruckman actually makes a material difference.

And then we have Dogga romping around in the forward line which means we have three bigs who are super mobile. You can't keep them all on the chain.

Totally. It's a dumb take but gets fuelled by the money they are both supposedly on and the general disrespect paid to the ruck role.

Plenty of flags have been won by teams with so-so rucks, but there are more that were won with a big man doing the heavy lifting.

Geebung needed Ottens to get it done.

Keating was parachuted in at the pointy end for the Brions like heavy artillery.

Even Sydney need Jason Ball.

We see all thoughout this season that when Bubba plays, and especially against a team with a good ruckman, that having the best ruckman actually makes a material difference.

And then we have Dogga romping around in the forward line which means we have three bigs who are super mobile. You can't keep them all on the chain.
They way I've always put it is on the on the day you can find some examples of the side with a superior ruck being beaten, even far superior. You're not going to find too many examples, however, of any team with an inferior ruck or ruck combination all season going all the way. They've got to be competitive or it'll cost you too many games.

West Coast won a flag with Lycett and Vardy but if they'd had to ruck the whole season they might not have been there on the last day (Nic Nat went down in round 18 when they were 12 and 4, and 5 of their last 6 matches were against bottom 8 opponents).

Last edited:
He’s been jumping about two business days too early all season. Not sure what’s going on. He even does it in the ruck.
he's so different this year - makes me wonder if someone is coaching him to be different and he isn't playing his natural game

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome Luke Jackson!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back