News Welcome to Carlton Rob Inness - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

I could post this in a number of threads, and it would be relevant

You have 2 vehicles, similar age, type, etc, which you obtained new, 1 durable, 1 a lemon

After a number of years, you are fed up with your mechanic not being able to keep that lemon vehicle on the road, pouring money down the drain

You have had enough, so you change mechanics

A few more years pass and you still can't keep that lemon vehicle on the road, so, once again you blame the mechanic and find a new one and so on and so on

That motto of, let's try this guy, he can't do any worse, is a flawed strategy

Let's give this guy the best possible chance of success, move on the lemons, let's prevent rather than trying to fix
Yeap but also let’s not pay exuberant fees/salaries to the mechanic

I could post this in a number of threads, and it would be relevant

You have 2 vehicles, similar age, type, etc, which you obtained new, 1 durable, 1 a lemon

After a number of years, you are fed up with your mechanic not being able to keep that lemon vehicle on the road, pouring money down the drain

You have had enough, so you change mechanics

A few more years pass and you still can't keep that lemon vehicle on the road, so, once again you blame the mechanic and find a new one and so on and so on

That motto of, let's try this guy, he can't do any worse, is a flawed strategy

Let's give this guy the best possible chance of success, move on the lemons, let's prevent rather than trying to fix

To me if the mechanic keeps telling you the car is a lemon and you ignore them and keep pouring money into it anyway then you are at fault. If the mechanic tells you the car is completely fixed and it should have no more issues before breaking down again it’s reasonable to blame the mechanic.

Whilst the greatest predictor of future injury might be previous injury, what do you do with that insight? Trade every player that ever gets injured? Judd had chronically bad shoulders and osteitis pubis when we traded him in and he is undoubtedly one of our all-time greats. How does anyone predict Marchbank breaking his neck? If we're getting rid of people with a history of injuries, Doc would be the first on the chopping block.

We drafted a young bloke in Matt Carroll who walks in the door and immediately overtrains and misses the season and possibly has his career ended before it begins. Something about Russell's processes failed to assess players and/or manage their loads properly. I think it's fair to suggest someone else may have better methods and can improve the preparation of our players.

We can't enter another season with 10 players missing round one through injury. I hope Inness is the man to get the best out of the list.

To me if the mechanic keeps telling you the car is a lemon and you ignore them and keep pouring money into it anyway then you are at fault.
If the mechanic is sharing the information, the absolutely

If the mechanic tells you the car is completely fixed and it should have no more issues before breaking down again it’s reasonable to blame the mechanic.
Also true, but remember, this lemon has been worked on by a number of mechanics, under different owners

Whilst the greatest predictor of future injury might be previous injury, what do you do with that insight? Trade every player that ever gets injured? Judd had chronically bad shoulders and osteitis pubis when we traded him in and he is undoubtedly one of our all-time greats. How does anyone predict Marchbank breaking his neck? If we're getting rid of people with a history of injuries, Doc would be the first on the chopping block.

We drafted a young bloke in Matt Carroll who walks in the door and immediately overtrains and misses the season and possibly has his career ended before it begins. Something about Russell's processes failed to assess players and/or manage their loads properly. I think it's fair to suggest someone else may have better methods and can improve the preparation of our players.

We can't enter another season with 10 players missing round one through injury. I hope Inness is the man to get the best out of the list.
Contact injuries are one thing, but the likes of Marchbank have been injury prone since he was 16.

Cuners also had injury issues as a junior.

O McDonald, S Durdin, both injured at previous clubs

Freeman at the Pies, and many other players over the last 2 decades

I understand the risk/reward as draftees, but how long do these types stay on a list under multiple different eyes

You can carry 1 or 2 talented players, but we have carried way too many over recent times

Contact injuries are one thing, but the likes of Marchbank have been injury prone since he was 16.

Cuners also had injury issues as a junior.

O McDonald, S Durdin, both injured at previous clubs

Freeman at the Pies, and many other players over the last 2 decades

I understand the risk/reward as draftees, but how long do these types stay on a list under multiple different eyes

You can carry 1 or 2 talented players, but we have carried way too many over recent times

I sometimes feel like clubs get caught up in a bit of hubris as to whether they believe they can "fix" said player.

However reality is there's only a few rare examples ie Jaeger O'Meara would be one who was constantly injured at Gold Coast (knee mainly) but was largely "fixed" by the Hawks (interestingly when Russell was there).

Most seem to carry their history to their next club or bring it with them from juniors.

It appears to have finally dawned on the Blues that the durability piece has to be an important part of the assessment process given recent sound bites, although to be fair I think Voss was talking about this a year ago.

The biggest challenge for the new guy will be saying (Insert Voss favourite player here) cannot return straight into the seniors because they have been off for 6 weeks.

If we still see underdone talented players return straight to the seniors we will know the issue lies with the MC and not Inness.
If they're phyiscally recovered after 6 weeks then it's up to the MC to decide how much touch the player has, will they getting more output from said player than whom they'll be replacing in the line-up. Most often a player out that long should be at least doing full training for a couple of weeks and be introduced via minutes in the VFL.

But, if a players has missed 6 weeks due to a say a broken hand/wrist. They can still maintain cardio fitness (as they can run) which bodes better than someone that does a hammy/ankle who begins to degrade in cardio fitness within 2 weeks (but it does take fit athletes a good 2 weeks to get most of their fitness back if the layoff isn't a considerable amount of time).

So in our final I'd have suggested Doc and Cerra should not have been brought in due to the extensive time missed this season with risk of re-occurence.

Harry, McGov, Williams were worth the risk.

Durdin, although not leg impacted, his shoulders were obviously buggered, hindering him immensely so he should've been ruled out.

The biggest challenge for the new guy will be saying (Insert Voss favourite player here) cannot return straight into the seniors because they have been off for 6 weeks.

If we still see underdone talented players return straight to the seniors we will know the issue lies with the MC and not Inness.
Cough, Cough, Cottrell

If they're phyiscally recovered after 6 weeks then it's up to the MC to decide how much touch the player has, will they getting more output from said player than whom they'll be replacing in the line-up. Most often a player out that long should be at least doing full training for a couple of weeks and be introduced via minutes in the VFL.

But, if a players has missed 6 weeks due to a say a broken hand/wrist. They can still maintain cardio fitness (as they can run) which bodes better than someone that does a hammy/ankle who begins to degrade in cardio fitness within 2 weeks (but it does take fit athletes a good 2 weeks to get most of their fitness back if the layoff isn't a considerable amount of time).

So in our final I'd have suggested Doc and Cerra should not have been brought in due to the extensive time missed this season with risk of re-occurence.

Harry, McGov, Williams were worth the risk.

Durdin, although not leg impacted, his shoulders were obviously buggered, hindering him immensely so he should've been ruled out.

Agree with what you saying, but every now and then you get a freak come through and debunk this. ( TDK-foot and Walsh- Back)

Agree with what you saying, but every now and then you get a freak come through and debunk this. ( TDK-foot and Walsh- Back)
The club admitted that TDK wasnt ready which is why they made him sub and Walsh missed games so he could ensure he had a sufficient training block before returning - so neither case debunks the theory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t really mine too much info, there is an interview on YouTube but deals only in generalities ie yes I get them strong and fit pre/in season
Dane rampe said that he empowers the individual to take more responsibility and the players were feeling refreshed under his approach, buddy franklins injury recovery and reengagement was seen as miraculous late in his career.
There were references to state of the art training equipment/facilities made available under his tenure.
General comments are positive bordering on glowing from both Richmond and swans fans here on big footy and other social media sites.

Hope there is a proactive/professional handover in progress giving him all the injury, biomechanical, individual etc. fitness profiles.
Sounds like there won't be anyone with long term issues left for him to worry about.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Welcome to Carlton Rob Inness - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back