"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

I assume Matthew Stokes, a Larrakia man, is also racist when he writes this in today's Age?

The reality is, whether you like it or not, people are not there to watch Welcome to Country, they are there to watch a game of football ...
To be brutally honest, although it might be good and well for everyone outside the boundary ... you can start to feel uncomfortable during that moment.
And now as an ex-player who listens to Welcome to Country in the same way as most of the population, I feel it is being overdone which dilutes its effect, particularly if the ceremony is used to push agendas.
It all means a debate among Aboriginal people about Welcome to Country ceremonies is legitimate, particularly on how it is delivered.

I look forward to the non-indigenous posters and self-righteous mods telling me how disrespectful of aboriginality this aboriginal man is. And, of course, he must be misinformed to suggest that there is heated debate about whether they are "legitimate". All the while armed with no real understanding of the issue, but plenty of rhetoric and self-righteous indignation and seemingly inexhaustible capacity to be outraged on behalf of others, whether they are offended or not.

I assume Matthew Stokes, a Larrakia man, is also racist when he writes this in today's Age?

The reality is, whether you like it or not, people are not there to watch Welcome to Country, they are there to watch a game of football ...
To be brutally honest, although it might be good and well for everyone outside the boundary ... you can start to feel uncomfortable during that moment.
And now as an ex-player who listens to Welcome to Country in the same way as most of the population, I feel it is being overdone which dilutes its effect, particularly if the ceremony is used to push agendas.
It all means a debate among Aboriginal people about Welcome to Country ceremonies is legitimate, particularly on how it is delivered.

I look forward to the non-indigenous posters and self-righteous mods telling me how disrespectful of aboriginality this aboriginal man is. And, of course, he must be misinformed to suggest that there is heated debate about whether they are "legitimate". All the while armed with no real understanding of the issue, but plenty of rhetoric and self-righteous indignation.
You've quoted the piece and then responded to it by complaining about what you hope other people might say. That's some first rate debating skills there mate.

I look forward to the non-indigenous posters and self-righteous mods telling me how disrespectful of aboriginality this aboriginal man is. And, of course, he must be misinformed to suggest that there is heated debate about whether they are "legitimate". All the while armed with no real understanding of the issue, but plenty of rhetoric and self-righteous indignation and seemingly inexhaustible capacity to be outraged on behalf of others, whether they are offended or not.
Stokes is correct.

It's good for the footy, although maybe could look at limiting it for only big games of the season

Acknowledgement being read out before work meetings are rubbish though and need to go imo. Or even worse just being tacked on somewhere on a company's website.

Many Aboriginal people are disrespectful of their own 'Aboriginality'. Many lack pride, many lack understanding. Stokes is entitled to his opinion but her certainly does not represent the views of the vast majority of Aboriginals.

I wonder if he feels the same about the National Anthem.

What school taught that?

I went to school from 80s onwards, and no one ever taught me anything but that we had displaced aborigines.
There was no cover up or truth untold.

In fact I grew up understanding that Victoria had genocided the aborigines, which was why I never saw any, except when we would drive through st Kilda

That was exaggerated I found out much later

Aboriginal not Aborigines.

Many Aboriginal people are disrespectful of their own 'Aboriginality'. Many lack pride, many lack understanding. Stokes is entitled to his opinion but her certainly does not represent the views of the vast majority of Aboriginals.
Ha ha. So if you aren't involved in the Group Think you are an Uncle Tom. Got it.

You found the Jacinta Price of AFL, well done.
Now constantly quote Stokes and completely discount the other 99% of Indigenous voices that say the opposite.
Honestly, that's one of the dumbest and most offensive takes I can recall. Comparing Stokes to a woman that believes colonisation had a positive impact on Indigenous people is ridiculous.
Here's a link to one of Stokes' previous articles, it's a ripper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh so that's what that pre-game thing is that I skip through to watch the footy.
Because that is what I want to watch you know, FOOTY.
Don't need to be force fed political/racial/ownership/land rights/citizen/ whatever jargon just because there is a stage to do so to make people watch it.

Isn't AFL meant to be a national SPORT to bring people together for enjoyment and excitement because it feels more and more like a platform to push agendas both political and social.

Really doesn't matter anyway as we all know the Tartarians were here first 😂

Oh so that's what that pre-game thing is that I skip through to watch the footy.
Because that is what I want to watch you know, FOOTY.
Don't need to be force fed political/racial/ownership/land rights/citizen/ whatever jargon just because there is a stage to do so to make people watch it.

Isn't AFL meant to be a national SPORT to bring people together for enjoyment and excitement because it feels more and more like a platform to push agendas both political and social.

Do you have an issue with the national anthem played before big games? ANZAC Day games?

Really doesn't matter anyway as we all know the Tartarians were here first 😂
Yes. And they built all those pyramids they found just outside Moe.

Shannon Ruska’s WTC are always great - they’re always slightly different - but always find a balance between speaking to the crowd and engaging with them as part of the WTC.

There’s no right or wrong way to do a WTC of course, but Shannon’s are excellent and get people who would otherwise not be bothered or resistant to participate and think about what he’s saying.

1 I didn't realise it was an argument
2. I am not arguing, I am offering a perspective that you cannot.
3. If someone is racist, I will call them out every time. Perhaps you should try that.
4. I have been to Northen China, several times. Have also been to North Korea and many other Norths.
5. You actually have no idea what you are talking about

Why did you go to North Korea?

So let’s get this right, CC had no agenda coming to Australia? And what happened beyond his arrival had nothing to do with him seeing the country as viable for colonisation?
Captain Cook had two "agendas" on his first voyage. The first was to travel to Tahiti to observe the transit of venus. The second was to find the mythical Great Southern Continent "Terra Australis" and claim that land in the event it was unoccupied for the British. He achieved the first agenda and dispelled the myth of a great southern continent.

He struck New Zealand and made one of the most unbelievable maps of the time. He "discovered" the east coast of what he believed was New Holland. But there was no colonisation agenda. That came later.

Do you have an issue with the national anthem played before big games? ANZAC Day games?

Yes. And they built all those pyramids they found just outside Moe.

Why do we play the national anthem for finals but not every home and away game?

We were invaded in 1788 by the British, they came in took over the land, committed genocide against it's people and that was the norm at the time. What is unforgivable nearly two hundred and fifty years on is for sections of the population to still ignore this fact and refuse to believe the inter generational trauma and inequality that's still happening because of this.
Who ignores this fact? Quite literally no one

I take it you’re not on twitter (or not in the racist echo chamber side of it at least)
I am on it and have said in the past I don't understand people labelling it 'racist', or even 'shit tbh. You follow who you want, just curate it accordingly...

No one in here ignores the fact bad stuff happened, everyone knows that. Invasion was inevitable, none of us were here for it, and the standard of 250, or even 50 years ago, was different to now. What some of the people in here struggle with is people not feeling guilty over history

Remove this Banner Ad

"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back