Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't worry theres a post of mine floating around somewhere saying Lobb, Hogan and McCarthy were the future of our fwd line

I genuinely remember writing some pretty stupid sh**e about other players in the past, just not Young.

I’ve taught myself to only make posts like that mid-week when emotions (both good and bad) are completely out of it.

His interview with Jordan Clark and Emma O'Driscoll shows how much he identified issues with his own ability and the work to resolve that.

Remember after we took him, a few list managers said they rated him 2nd or 3rd in the class. He was a steal at 7.

"Club 4 – Hayden Young
"Hayden Young by the length of the Flemington straight. He might end up the second-best player from this draft, and maybe even the best. He's not just a good kick – he doesn't force the ball into bad areas, ever. He opens up the ground with his disposal. His game in the midfield late in the season saw him compared to Scott Pendlebury and although it was only one game, it was spot on."

"Club 4 – Hayden Young
"Hayden Young by the length of the Flemington straight. He might end up the second-best player from this draft, and maybe even the best. He's not just a good kick – he doesn't force the ball into bad areas, ever. He opens up the ground with his disposal. His game in the midfield late in the season saw him compared to Scott Pendlebury and although it was only one game, it was spot on."
I'm betting Club 4 are happy with their list manager.

What a position to be in.

If there were to be a draft with just Freo mids involved it would be:
1) Young
2) Serong
3) Brayshaw

4) Johnson

And that top 3 could all go 1 pending a teams needs.

Johnson is coming with a bullet too!
Fyfe would be 1 if in the same age bracket. But you'd happily trade down for
  • pick 2 and a deathriding f1
  • any 2 of picks 3, 4 or 5.

Ouch - Won't even bother trying to defend myself here.

Funny thing is I remember being wrong sometimes - I never remember having a negative opinion on Young. I'd be interested to see if there was a game on right when I made this post. Still not an excuse but if I'd been smart enough to put in the game day thread the post would've been lost forever.
He had some horrendous turnovers early on where he tried to center the ball but I think was still operating on U18s pressure. He's adapted since.

Not going to lie, I thought he was overrated in general and especially as a kicker when he played half back. I know he was still pretty young (PTP) but yeah.

Fair to say I think he's underrated if anything now. I get it is dangerous to let Serong do what he wants, but I tend to agree with King about who I'd tag from Freo.

After watching the game on Saturday night, I am beginning to wonder if he has not got the strongest mark in our team. He clunked some beauties during the game and under duress.
A great mark. Strong hands.
In the wet no less. Didn't seem to bother him or Treacy.

In the wet no less. Didn't seem to bother him or Treacy.
Yes both had good hands in the wet,
Treacy has been an amazing player at such a young age. Like many others from Freo, had he been a player at a Melbourne based club he would have been getting huge wraps from the Melbourne media.
I think the female journo got it right with him being the best forward we have had since Pav.He is a much more physical player, take no prisoners types.

Yes both had good hands in the wet,
Treacy has been an amazing player at such a young age. Like many others from Freo, had he been a player at a Melbourne based club he would have been getting huge wraps from the Melbourne media.
I think the female journo got it right with him being the best forward we have had since Pav.He is a much more physical player, take no prisoners types.
Amiss is every bit as good, he's just different and younger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young's hands are outrageous. He marked one in the true CHF position against Sydney, charging out at such speed I thought there was no way he was gloving it, but he just grabbed it out of the sky and it was a fair bullet too. Freddy kicked it from memory.

The hangs are great but that shit is the best mark. So hard to do.

Young's hands are outrageous. He marked one in the true CHF position against Sydney, charging out at such speed I thought there was no way he was gloving it, but he just grabbed it out of the sky and it was a fair bullet too. Freddy kicked it from memory.

His first games for Fremantle he was running back into packs against big bodies and just grabbing everything. Massive belief and confidence.

"Club 4 – Hayden Young
Pick 3? Can't understand why he's being so underrated.

Pick 3? Can't understand why he's being so underrated.
This was on draft night

Gc had basically confirmed they were taking Rowell and Anderson at picks 1 and 2, so it's a best of the rest scenario

Would be interesting if any of these clubs had young at #1 on their whiteboard altho Rowell did seem pretty universal

This was on draft night

Gc had basically confirmed they were taking Rowell and Anderson at picks 1 and 2, so it's a best of the rest scenario

Would be interesting if any of these clubs had young at #1 on their whiteboard altho Rowell did seem pretty universal
Yeah from memory Rowell and Anderson were 1&2 all year. Serong started the year top 5 but slipped from memory because of his athletic profile? Young was always at about pick 7 I think. Everyone said they would have picked him earlier, but no one did.

That was a really good draft in retrospect, and if we land Warner we'll have:
Jackson, Serong, Young, Sharp, Warner and Frederik from that one draft.
Some luck needed, but even without Warner that's the kind of list management and development that wins titles.
As this is a Young thread, he's on track for Brownlow. Such a damaging player - love the QB reference regards his passing to Treacy, got to be shaping up to be the #1 pairing in the game.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah from memory Rowell and Anderson were 1&2 all year. Serong started the year top 5 but slipped from memory because of his athletic profile? Young was always at about pick 7 I think. Everyone said they would have picked him earlier, but no one did.
Credit to Twomey, who rated both Serong and Young very high all year. I think he only moved them down because the mail had clubs taking others first.

It's the defender in him.

Still think we now have the best three from the draft, excluding maybe Warner and Tom Green.

Plus Sharp, plus Freddy.

It was a cracker of a draft though

Still think we now have the best three from the draft, excluding maybe Warner and Tom Green.

Plus Sharp, plus Freddy.

It was a cracker of a draft though
puppet GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Freo Hayden Young – Fremantle’s 1st 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #7]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back