Universal Love Welcome to Freo - Heath Chapman (Pick 14 2020 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to disagree. He’s not a full back. Nothing like Draper or Moose. Odd take tbh.
At the moment he is a nothing player

But he is playing on players that Draper could play on, Draper is mobile enough to take on the Langfords/Sicily types that Chapman keeps getting and failing on

What are we going to do with him?

Can't defend and is an absolute liability on offence

His blunders happen just as frequently as Hughes but atleast Hughes is a decent defender.

Will match committee drop him? Not sure we have anybody below that can take his spot? Maybe Worner?
Does Hughes actually have blunders though?
Chapman missed his destination, went over Clark’s head and instead hit the chest of the opposition.
Not only that, Greasham was his man out of the back of stoppage, loss him inside and he has space out the back for a tap in goal.

He doesn’t belong in defence. There’s a winger/inside mid there.

Hughes is underrated. So many times Pearce and Ryan have said they regard him highly because he allows others to attack knowing he can interpret and go in hard.

Don’t need all these offensive minded defenders- Walker, Clark, Wagner. Chapman either is the interpreter or plays on the wing.

I’ve never seen Fritsch flustered until today. Chapman was a blanket. He dominated him in all aspects of the game. Really rated his game today.

His blunders happen just as frequently as Hughes but atleast Hughes is a decent defender.

Will match committee drop him? Not sure we have anybody below that can take his spot? Maybe Worner?

Yeah nah! I still think he will turn into an A grader. He has shown enough at times this season to show he has it in him. Hasn't played fifty games yet.

Yeah nah! I still think he will turn into an A grader. He has shown enough at times this season to show he has it in him. Hasn't played fifty games yet.
Not sure quoting a game that played out like a training drill is doing anything here

I have already said he was good for like 2 of the last 10, thats simply not enough

I'm also not writing him off completely, still young but I'm interested in what we can do with him in the immediate future because he has been awful.

Not sure quoting a game that played out like a training drill is doing anything here

I have already said he was good for like 2 of the last 10, thats simply not enough

I'm also not writing him off completely, still young but I'm interested in what we can do with him in the immediate future because he has been awful.

Have you read your posts? Hate to see what you say when you are writing off a player.

He hasn't been poor for as long as you are saying. He also had some great games through the middle of the year. Is he down on form at the moment? Yes. Are others down on form as well? Yes.

Have you read your posts? Hate to see what you say when you are writing off a player.

He hasn't been poor for as long as you are saying. He also had some great games through the middle of the year. Is he down on form at the moment? Yes. Are others down on form as well? Yes.
I'd be pretty clear in saying they aren't going to make it

When have I said that with Chapman?

I said what are we going to do with him, (and added immediate context about match committee) how is that writing off? That clearly suggests something needs to be done to change how he is going because honestly he has been ****en shit.

If Hughes was playing like Chapman had the majority of the past 10 games then the whole board would be calling for his head.

Chapman has been a net negative in far too many games over the last few seasons.

I'm not the biggest fan of Chappy so I'm certainly biased in seeing the bad more than the good.

But he can't play in the backline anymore. He has more Cat10 moments than Hughes ever did and rarely gets called out on it.

His kicking has become very erratic. It’s like he stabs at the ball with a lot of uncertainty at the moment. We were out and on the counter attack at one point in the game yesterday and he completely butchered a routine ball to amiss that ended up a boundary throw in when it Should have been a goal (might have been hard to see on TV).

Chapman has been a net negative in far too many games over the last few seasons.

I'm not the biggest fan of Chappy so I'm certainly biased in seeing the bad more than the good.

But he can't play in the backline anymore. He has more Cat10 moments than Hughes ever did and rarely gets called out on it.

Over the last few seasons... This is when you know someone is going hard for the sake of it. how many games has he played in the last three seasons?

I'd be pretty clear in saying they aren't going to make it

When have I said that with Chapman?

I said what are we going to do with him, (and added immediate context about match committee) how is that writing off? That clearly suggests something needs to be done to change how he is going because honestly he has been ****en shit.

If Hughes was playing like Chapman had the majority of the past 10 games then the whole board would be calling for his head.

You have said some very negative things about Chapman - and you can either own that and say you go even harder when you are writing someone off or admit that you went very hard on Chappy.

Don't pretend like you have been going easy on him.

'You said what are we going to do with him' - is that what you said and how you asked it? Or was the commentary added that was critical. You are presenting as that is all you said. You did ask that, but what was it followed with?

At the moment he is a nothing player

But he is playing on players that Draper could play on, Draper is mobile enough to take on the Langfords/Sicily types that Chapman keeps getting and failing on

If someone can't defend (absolute) and is an 'absolute liability on offence' (you literally added the word absolute to your statement made in absolute, just so we knew it was 100% absolute), no wriggle room. He can't do either.

How is that not writing someone off? Or are you retracting your first absolute and your second double absolute?

There are not many serious watchers of footy who dont think Chappy can play.
We know he can play and most of us think he can be or already is, an A grader.
Thats not the question.
The question is what do we do with him?
Option 1: back him in to get back to form by playing him at AFL level despite being under done.
Option 2: rest him for a week or so, he does look cooked
Option 3: have him dominate some spud in the WAFL for two weeks to regain confidence.
Option 4: free him up mentally by playing him further up the ground in a more attacking aggressive position.

There is no Option 5: “ write him off”

If we keep doing the same things, no change, we will get the same results.
Imagine where we wuold be in Young was still in defence.
Try some stuff!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are not many serious watchers of footy who dont think Chappy can play.
We know he can play and most of us think he can be or already is, an A grader.
Thats not the question.
The question is what do we do with him?
Option 1: back him in to get back to form by playing him at AFL level despite being under done.
Option 2: rest him for a week or so, he does look cooked
Option 3: have him dominate some spud in the WAFL for two weeks to regain confidence.
Option 4: free him up mentally by playing him further up the ground in a more attacking aggressive position.

There is no Option 5: “ write him off”

I am all in on these ideas or variations of them.

He is at the point in the season where not having a pre season and fitness base shows. And it is not helped with Pearce out to control the back half. Cox did some great things yesterday but doesn't have the presence yet. Add Clark making some silly mistakes and it wasn't good.

Chapman, at his best is an outstanding footballer. My understanding was that he was recruited primarily as a midfielder. I have always thought that the biggest flaw in his game is that he seems to lack peripheral awareness. The amount of times he is caught holding the ball from the side or from behind is rising. Kicking wise, I think people need to give him a break. He is an attacking player in that sense and takes the game on. Remember, he has probably had to alter his gait and kick to counter his hamstring issues, which hopefully are behind him now. With that is mind I think he can and will only improve but is best suited, with his bigger body in the midfield, perhaps on a wing where he can read the play out wide and be less likely to be caught unawares. I have always been a Hughes fan, guy gives 150 percent, is solid and hard at the ball. To be honest I think he offers more than Chapman does as a defender at this time. My twenty cents worth :)

You have said some very negative things about Chapman - and you can either own that and say you go even harder when you are writing someone off or admit that you went very hard on Chappy.

'You said what are we going to do with him' - is that what you said and how you asked it? Or was the commentary added that was critical. You are presenting as that is all you said. You did ask that, but what was it followed with?

If someone can't defend (absolute) and is an 'absolute liability on offence' (you literally added the word absolute to your statement made in absolute, just so we knew it was 100% absolute), no wriggle room. He can't do either.

How is that not writing someone off? Or are you retracting your first absolute and your second double absolute?
I 100% stand by those comments

They are true right now

I never "pretended" I was going easy on him, he has been absolute crap and I'm calling it out, looking for solutions.

I don't really understand what your point is tbh

It's still clear not writing off? Did I say we should delist or trade him?

This board can't be all positives, if a player is playing crap then we can call it out.

Maybe stop trying to argue some stupid technicality? Start talking about how awful chappy has been playing and what the solution could be.

I 100% stand by those comments

They are true right now

I never "pretended" I was going easy on him, he has been absolute crap and I'm calling it out, looking for solutions.

I don't really understand what your point is tbh

It's still clear not writing off? Did I say we should delist or trade him?

This board can't be all positives, if a player is playing crap then we can call it out.

Maybe stop trying to argue some stupid technicality? Start talking about how awful chappy has been playing and what the solution could be.

You made statements of absolutes and tried to pass it off as if you had only asked what we are going to do with him. If you had done just that I would have said nothing. You made the absolute statements that he cant defend or attack and then try to say that isn't writing him off, all you are doing is asking what we are going to do with him.

You didn't just say he was playing crap you made definitive, absolute statements. So yes, let us discuss form and solutions, as I have welcomed with other posters above, without the dramatic over reactions of your first few posts.

1722833722067.png

You made statements of absolutes and tried to pass it off as if you had only asked what we are going to do with him. If you had done just that I would have said nothing. You made the absolute statements that he cant defend or attack and then try to say that isn't writing him off, all you are doing is asking what we are going to do with him.

You didn't just say he was playing crap you made definitive, absolute statements. So yes, let us discuss form and solutions, as I have welcomed with other posters above, without the dramatic over reactions of your first few posts.
The statements are true mate

He can't defend and can't attack, he is an absolute liability

Keep arguing some little technicality if you want but his formline is atrocious

Hughes and Chapman have a similair amount of CAT10 errors.

The difference is Chapman does it while moving the ball quickly and choosing the risky but damaging central options. Hughes does it while taking ages to just pass the ball to the safest option.

People talk about wanting to be more offensive and score more, while not realising this is gonna come at the cost of riskier attacking play.

Going Chapman to Hughes is the biggest step backwards I can imagine.

Hughes and Chapman have a similair amount of CAT10 errors.

The difference is Chapman does it while moving the ball quickly and choosing the risky but damaging central options. Hughes does it while taking ages to just pass the ball to the safest option.

People talk about wanting to be more offensive and score more, while not realising this is gonna come at the cost of riskier attacking play.

Going Chapman to Hughes is the biggest step backwards I can imagine.
I brought Hughes up as an example of how this board reacts

Worner and draper were the two suggestions that were brought up

We have to do something

I brought Hughes up as an example of how this board reacts

Worner and draper were the two suggestions that were brought up

We have to do something

Sorry Hughes was suggested in a different thread as well.

There are plenty of options. Aish could go back to his half back role he was doing so well with to start the season too.

My preference is to stick it out though. I don't think he has been as bad as people are making out despite the drop in form, and I think an inform Chapman is crucial to us going deep in September.

He hasn't played 50 games yet and has had two injury spells again this season. I think we gotta hold firm with Chapman in the side for a few more weeks and see if he can turn it around.

JL didn't drop Walker when Walker was in fat worse form than Chapman is now so the history is there. People were also suggesting dropping Amiss for Voss which was wild to me lol.

Football and form is a confidence thing and being dropped is a massive hit to the confidence. I don't wanna do that to Chapman yet.

Chappy had a poor game yesterday. He has played some great games and some not so great games.

Part of the problem yesterday was that Cox was just OK at best and Ryan was awful. All in all the backline were down on form so Chappy wasn't the only culprit.

Chappy is a better player than he showed yesterday, however he needs to regain his best form soon to help get our defence back to it's best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Freo - Heath Chapman (Pick 14 2020 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back