Welcome Welcome To Freo Shai Bolton!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

What the actual **** are you talking about, DQ 4ever?

We have won more than twice the amount of flags, four times as many Brownlow medals, have more Sandover medals, more Derby wins. Souths haven't produced a Rising Star, but the East Fremantle Breeding Ground of Champions has produced 4.

Apart from self-delusion, there isn't a single metric South Fremantle outperform East Fremantle in.

Not a one.

And I think you know that.
Remind me which WA AFL team use past history to justify how great they are? :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We've been a better scoring team overall but it's literally been Treacy and Amiss carrying us, with cameo's from midfielders. Also Sam Sturt who made the most of his 13 goals. Less than half a dozen players that can actually manage a goal a game.

Shai makes us so, so much better. And he'll increase the net average of goals across the team - if not then it's other players issue not his.

Best medium to small defender taken from Banfield and placed on Bolton.

Will finally allow Banfield the opportunity to exploit the weaker defenders and not be double teamed.

Banfield could kick 60 but I’ll settle for 40.
Looking forward to 2025. Expecting top four finish and at least 2 games of finals experience

Then...for 2026 when we have Kosy , imagine trying to match up on those two?

Bring it on!!!

The only issue i see is Bolton potentially getting in the way of Tracey and Amiss. He is a greast player but looking at some of his highlights he cuts in front of Richmonds forwards (probbly cause they were not good ), So i jsut hope Bolton becomes more the crumbing forward not the leading forward. (unless our main forwrds are manned up)

Not a major issue, i am sure he can sdjust his game style to suit a team with power forwrds.

With Fyfe almost done we are still a bit off in the midfield. That is where I see the other hole to be filled. No doubt Shai is important but at 25 he has peaked. Thats good in one way, instant quality, experience, top of his game. Its such a knife edge.
He’s peaked at 25? Wut?!

If we don'take finals in 2025 I really hope people sink the boots into us. I hope they do it quite ruthlessly.

Making finals is the 2025 low bar.

If we don't at the very least win a final in 2025 or finish top 4 I would sink the boots in, expectations should be a lot higher than just making finals.

Anything less than top 4 is a failure. We want for nothing talent wise, the age bracket is basically perfect and they've all played a significant number of games together. Absolutely no excuses
I really hope Freo management are aligned in this exact line of thinking because it’s absolutely bang on .

Pre lim wknd should 100% be the expectation, not the exception

Our midfield development is a no excuses zone

Erasmus and O'Driscoll have 3 years of development into them and would be 2 of the most prepared additions to our midfield that we have seen in this rebuild. Best on ground in the WAFL Grand Final

Johnson will be moved to the coalface.

Bolton will rotate through there.

Brodie can't get a game.

He’s peaked at 25? Wut?!
Actually, he is going to be 26 in December and 25-26 is pretty much the accepted peak of AFL footballers 27-30 they can still be very good but if your game is built around athleticism you are losing ground. So we get him at his absolute peak. Then there is the durability issue. Regardless of historic durability 26+ is also a time where injuries can become more of an issue in terms of time out of the game. I understand the logic of this trade, its about how he fits into the team mix and its about NOW. So lets see how it works out.

Last edited:
With Fyfe almost done we are still a bit off in the midfield. That is where I see the other hole to be filled. No doubt Shai is important but at 25 he has peaked. Thats good in one way, instant quality, experience, top of his game. Its such a knife edge.
If players peaked at 25 then the Geelong and Collingwood premiership teams from the past 3 years would never have existed.

The only issue i see is Bolton potentially getting in the way of Tracey and Amiss. He is a greast player but looking at some of his highlights he cuts in front of Richmonds forwards (probbly cause they were not good ), So i jsut hope Bolton becomes more the crumbing forward not the leading forward. (unless our main forwrds are manned up)

Not a major issue, i am sure he can sdjust his game style to suit a team with power forwrds.
In place of Bolton, put Taberner.

I mean really!! Are you serious.
Tabs was blamed for every problem up forward, now we have a star up forward, he is going to get in the way of others.
Really!! I mean really!!!!

Great move, price doesn't matter as it's not taken us out of first round or left us unable to make a move for Kozzie or Warner next year.

As a few have alluded to, biggest impact will be on others, as opposed to individual brilliance (though there will be some of that no doubt). Biggest question for opposition is, who do you tag?

Serong? Drift him forward, put Bolton in the guts for centre clearance, then swap. Young gets off the leash or Bolton runs it out.

Young? Drift forward (or back if necessary, though less preferred), Serong gets a load of it and distributes to better users, or smashes it i50 where Treacy, Amiss & Bolton are big marking threats, Jackson will halve it and we now have an elite crumber in Bolton, and no one paying Switta much attention (think he's going to be a big beneficiary).

Bolton - too mobile to tag well, I'd argue, but then you've got Serong, Young & Brayshaw unfettered.

He also adds a lot more pressure than I gave him credit for, not Schulz level, but decent, plus closing speed of him, Freddie and Switta is going to create some implied pressure too.

Talent-wise we're stacked, team has stayed consistent so expecting improvement from that too. We should expect to be there or there abouts this year. Exciting!

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers m8 , enjoy being early years GWS/GC bad for the next 3 years should be a blast to watch from “afar”
No issue mate we were here ded last when GWS/GC were given all the picks and that ended well with 3 flags
so this should be a walk in the park

I wont deny The quality of Shai Bolton. But It should of been like the Rory lobb trade.

We offer picks 10 and 11, We get pick 14 and Bolton.

I am worried that He doesnt perform as he did at Richmond or he misses half a season next year with injuries.

I am only scared due to past trades. Hogan is one, Harley Bennell is the other.

Bennell being injury prone didnt help the dockers much from 2016 to 2019.
Sorry you'll be having sadtime this preseason maniac.
My " welcome to Flagmantle Shai " party has begun and won't be over for at least a year...
followed by the "Threepeat is on" party !
I need a little rest though.
Oh...and why would the Shai trade be like the Lobb trade?
...they both have first names with 4 letters?

In place of Bolton, put Taberner.

I mean really!! Are you serious.
Tabs was blamed for every problem up forward, now we have a star up forward, he is going to get in the way of others.
Really!! I mean really!!!!

yes i am very serious. Takes work and effort to change a style of play , i dont suggest he cant make that change. But it has been his style for the past few years. especially as Richmond forward line was not strong.

I watched a highlight reel of all his goals in 2024, great efforts . But many are from being the main target in the forward line. Some were great ground ball wins too. What we are after in the Forward line is someone with his PACE and Ground ball skills. Not someone flying for the same marks as Amiss and Treacy are going for. Just stay front and centre to gather those crumbs when ball brough to the ground.

I am sure he will be capable of performing. just takes a readjustment of his current habits.

AS you say, look what happend when TABS thought he was still the main focus and his crossing paths or filling same hole that amiss or Treacy would lead into.

Work for the coach to do and Boltons teammates and Bolton himself to do. Can all be accomplished.

So not sure why you got so upset at my post. was meant to be a postive post about a great player joining us. But might take a few games for him to learn that new role.

yes i am very serious. Takes work and effort to change a style of play , i dont suggest he cant make that change. But it has been his style for the past few years. especially as Richmond forward line was not strong.

I watched a highlight reel of all his goals in 2024, great efforts . But many are from being the main target in the forward line. Some were great ground ball wins too. What we are after in the Forward line is someone with his PACE and Ground ball skills. Not someone flying for the same marks as Amiss and Treacy are going for. Just stay front and centre to gather those crumbs when ball brough to the ground.

I am sure he will be capable of performing. just takes a readjustment of his current habits.

AS you say, look what happend when TABS thought he was still the main focus and his crossing paths or filling same hole that amiss or Treacy would lead into.

Work for the coach to do and Boltons teammates and Bolton himself to do. Can all be accomplished.

So not sure why you got so upset at my post. was meant to be a postive post about a great player joining us. But might take a few games for him to learn that new role.
I find that very bemusing. So every other forward just steps aside when the ball comes into the forward line.
I shake my head.

Yeah I've heard from Tiges supporters that that was the reason he had an off year this season as he was being forced to play the lead up role rather than to his strength as the crumber.

By all accounts, it's believed he should shine in our forward line.

Actually, he is going to be 26 in December and 25-26 is pretty much the accepted peak of AFL footballers 27-30 they can still be very good but if your game is built around athleticism you are losing ground. So we get him at his absolute peak. Then there is the durability issue. Regardless of historic durability 26+ is also a time where injuries can become more of an issue in terms of time out of the game. I understand the logic of this trade, its about how he fits into the team mix and its about NOW. So lets see how it works out.
Dunno, kinda felt like Barra played some of his best footy at 36. Was just so silky smooth. Might have just been me marveling at a 36 year old playing like a 26 year old.

Either way, even if Shai has peaked, we still get peak Shai for at least 4-5 years before he starts to decline. I'm happy with that.

No issue mate we were here ded last when GWS/GC were given all the picks and that ended well with 3 flags
so this should be a walk in the park
You guys will be alright. You should be coming good by the time we start our slow dip.

I may be going out on a limb, but I reckon the Tiges are doing it the right way. Accepted the rebuild and getting stuck into it before a couple of compromised drafts come up.

At least one team in the league should be following suit instead of bandaiding with B/C graders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome To Freo Shai Bolton!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back