List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Ollie Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we really give a * about picks in the late 30s, 40s and 50s?
We've had some pretty good picks over the years in those numbers: Ling, Stewart, Miers. In fact we've had some bloody good rookie picks, so I'm not sure why you'd dismiss players that come from late picks.

Anyway, it is what it is. Hopefully Ollie fulfills his potential.

For what it's worth. I think the trade was pretty fair.
I felt like Bruhn and Henry were both worth about the same, in the area of pick 18. So to come away with 25 and Mitchell, I'd say is good value.
Even giving away 2 pick we weren't going to use.

I think the inequities are over blown. When powerful Melb clubs were making hay no one worried about how problematic trade and draft were. And when we continually failed in finals neither did they care then. Trade and draft are both critical and overstated in importance. We only got Bowes coz he chose us. The others offered more and still. Furthermore, we have a strict payment system which means we continually run the risk of losing players who are offered more money. Few leave the cats though. A lot of nasty stuff has been said this last 10 days but who can believe we paid Joel and Hawk less than 400k? Danger beast gf is also on massive unders now. Atkins close on the rookie list for years for hod sakes. Who else can manage that. But it all starts with v.good administration that makes it clear for everyone what deal is and ours has been running for 20+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You right defend Geelong Football Club. Fair enough. Im defending a players right to choose and was a response to a collingwood supporter question Hernys resilience and hardness etc ..because he choose to leave after two year.. Choose to leave a club he never choose to join in the first place.

You defend the accusations against Geelong. I support you in this Geelong is mainly focusing on a weakness in the system that accentuates its strengths.

I support Henry in his right to move without accusations on his personality or character.

Last edited:
For what it's worth. I think the trade was pretty fair.
I felt like Bruhn and Henry were both worth about the same, in the area of pick 18. So to come away with 25 and Mitchell, I'd say is good value.
Even giving away 2 pick we weren't going to use.

Mitchell is stake knives for a reason... Heck!! Even hawks don't want him...

I think the inequities are over blown. When powerful Melb clubs were making hay no one worried about how problematic trade and draft were. And when we continually failed in finals neither did they care then. Trade and draft are both critical and overstated in importance. We only got Bowes coz he chose us. The others offered more and still. Furthermore, we have a strict payment system which means we continually run the risk of losing players who are offered more money. Few leave the cats though. A lot of nasty stuff has been said this last 10 days but who can believe we paid Joel and Hawk less than 400k? Danger beast gf is also on massive unders now. Atkins close on the rookie list for years for hod sakes. Who else can manage that. But it all starts with v.good administration that makes it clear for everyone what deal is and ours has been running for 20+ years.
It's the continuity of this now that is really enhancing our attractiveness to players (and staff) across the comp. If you're good enough for long enough, it really starts to make a difference in the marginal calls people make about where to invest their futures.

Stay classy, Catters...

#lovethisclub

That is an interesting comment

And i obviously hope he plays very well for the Cats

But re your comment - anyone who lived through the pre draft era - where basically half the teams had no hope - including Geelong

It was basically a 2 team dominating competition - Hawthorn and Carlton ( Ess Rich and Nth Melb also had a period of success ) but it was basically the Blues and the Hawks waxing flags . Like how hard it was for the other clubs -when the Cats finally made a GF in 89 - youd literally mortgage your house to get a ticket - because with the system in place it was like climbing Mt Everest to qualify - i paid $1000 approx re an Ansett -ticket package

Then they brought in the draft and salary cap - and it was fantastic - all teams ( who were well run ) had a chance

Now the draft is basically in tatters - draft night - youd watch some excited kid - being presented with a clubs jumper - with the Senior coach holding up the jumper in the air - which he is presenting to him

But it is now nearly a charade - what did the Nth Melb number 1 pick or whatever last - 12 months was it !!!

When i watch Henrys 1st 4-5 games for the Cats next year - i will be saying to myself - he is a Collingwood player wearing a Geelong jumper

I was a member in 89. There were less than 20k of us from memory. Wasn't that hard to get a ticket.

I was a member in 89. There were less than 20k of us from memory. Wasn't that hard to get a ticket.

It was in Sydney - i wasnt a member - i rang the Swans- and they didnt have any - and they suggested i ring Ansett - which i did

Got 1 of those packaged deal tickets - no change back from $1000 - unbelievable

And if you remember back then - there was that Pilot strike - so there was no planes - thus i had to catch a train down and of course pay for that ticket as well

Its probably rarity if we did not have someone that had not come from another club.
In 2012/2013 was last when we had list that contained no players from other clubs. At the time I am pretty certain that we were the only club with that status and I believe that no other club has since had such an organic list.
But with free agency being introduced at the end of 2012 and as our A-Graders started getting on, we made the call to embrace free agency and use it to our advantage. Other clubs have tried as well, but few, if any, as well as us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No messing about. Straight to the club and into the gym. Nice

I think he needs to develop a more dangerous ground game. At the moment his marking could probably be shut down by a taller defender. A lot to like

Certainly needs to develop his defensive pressure to fit in as a 3rd tall fwd in our system (unless we are going to try him as an intercept defender) but his game has a lot of other elements that i like and hes usually going to get the 3rd/4th best defender so that will help him.

Certainly needs to develop his defensive pressure to fit in as a 3rd tall fwd in our system (unless we are going to try him as an intercept defender) but his game has a lot of other elements that i like and hes usually going to get the 3rd/4th best defender so that will help him.
I read somewhere where CS had said to him he sees him in roles other than necessarily a forward and defender was one. The coach loves flexibility.

Agree the defensive side of his game needs work which is a major reason for him missing ones games during the latter part of the season.

I read somewhere where CS had said to him he sees him in roles other than necessarily a forward and defender was one. The coach loves flexibility.

Agree the defensive side of his game needs work which is a major reason for him missing ones games during the latter part of the season.
Yeah we have Touhy, Smith and Duncan who all play wing, HBF, HFF. Wouldn't surprise me if they give Ollie a chance to develop that kind of versatility on top of what he already has (goal kicker).

Mackie said all that as well. Not being pigeon-holed as only a forward, like many of our players right now are very flexible, adaptable, and willing to play for the team where they are needed.
Mackie himself started with us as a HFF, and ended up as what we all know.
SJ ended up being almost the best mid in the comp for a while, yet started as a troubled HFF.
Ollie is very talented, I think like Menzel, and that is a sheer bonus for us.

Mackie said all that as well. Not being pigeon-holed as only a forward, like many of our players right now are very flexible, adaptable, and willing to play for the team where they are needed.
Mackie himself started with us as a HFF, and ended up as what we all know.
SJ ended up being almost the best mid in the comp for a while, yet started as a troubled HFF.
Ollie is very talented, I think like Menzel, and that is a sheer bonus for us.
Agree he's more your Menzel than a Rohan as someone mentioned before I see no Rohan in him at all a smaller version of Jack Gunston would be nice.

Jumping the gun a little but (subject to fitness and ’showing enough’) I wonder which position Ollie is likely to take.

I assume forward pocket, perhaps the replacement for Rohan - same height, slower than Gary and presumably without the same pressure factor, but possibly better side step and hands (yes Gary can take big grabs - but not sure it would be more than one contested mark a game?). Appears to have a kicking action - again like Rohan. Different but similar. One year left for Gary on his contract? With Gary’s injury history, Ollie might get games quickly.

In defence the only ‘like for like’ I can see is Kolo - taller, stronger but similar speed to Ollie. Kolo only 27? , so more likely for Rohan’s spot.

By the way - while I’ve been a critic of Kolo and Rohan in prior years, both performed important roles in the team and were superb/vital in the finals. Don’t want to wish them away at all.
Rohan is OOC, but so is Hawkins btw.

In 2012/2013 was last when we had list that contained no players from other clubs. At the time I am pretty certain that we were the only club with that status and I believe that no other club has since had such an organic list.
But with free agency being introduced at the end of 2012 and as our A-Graders started getting on, we made the call to embrace free agency and use it to our advantage. Other clubs have tried as well, but few, if any, as well as us.
2012 yes 2013 we had Jarrod Rivers X Melbourne.

Agree he's more your Menzel than a Rohan as someone mentioned before I see no Rohan in him at all a smaller version of Jack Gunston would be nice.

They are very talented players - like Menzel could have been absolutely top class - and his comeback game he did kick 6 goals against Coll

And like Rohan - was a very strong o/h mark - outmarked Shannon Hurt ( who was built like a German tank ) over in Perth - Hurn was in shock

O Henry is a very nice mark - however there was no vendetta at Coll against him - he applied no defensive pressure thus he got dropped

Talk of playing on a hbf - he is only young - but he would have to dramatically improve his fitness and running capability to perform their

Ive allways liked Rohan - i reckon hes got another 2 good years in him - has not lost one inch of pace and still the quickest bloke on the list - and if Rohan performs for the next 2 seasons like this year - then Henry wont take his spot as 3rd tall

They are very talented players - like Menzel could have been absolutely top class - and his comeback game he did kick 6 goals against Coll

And like Rohan - was a very strong o/h mark - outmarked Shannon Hurt ( who was built like a German tank ) over in Perth - Hurn was in shock

O Henry is a very nice mark - however there was no vendetta at Coll against him - he applied no defensive pressure thus he got dropped

Talk of playing on a hbf - he is only young - but he would have to dramatically improve his fitness and running capability to perform their

Ive allways liked Rohan - i reckon hes got another 2 good years in him - has not lost one inch of pace and still the quickest bloke on the list - and if Rohan performs for the next 2 seasons like this year - then Henry wont take his spot as 3rd tall
19/20 year old just simple ran out of stream, talented but lots of hard work ahead of him to be able to get through a season and break into the best 22 not sure he's destined to be a third tall ever at 186cm.

19/20 year old just simple ran out of stream, talented but lots of hard work ahead of him to be able to get through a season and break into the best 22 not sure he's destined to be a third tall ever at 186cm.
189 cm, (and possibly still another cm, but unlikely) and hope we have him for the next 200 games

Rohan is a beauty.
But he is reasonably often injured or managed and that will likely occur more requently than less in his twilight years.
Ollie should get opportunities in 23, and hopefully be a fixture from 24 onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong, Ollie Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back