Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

As Matthew Lloyd said this morning, everything he does is fantastic, Watson has created an issue with his goal kicking, resolves that and we have one of the game's premier small forwards.

Some of his intercept work yesterday was brilliant, although there was one he should have makred (juggling effort) but appeared to chose to punch the ball forward and create a foot race. Lesson. learnt there, AFL players aren't useless u18 hacks.

His kick to Dylan Moore is what shuold be seen as the norm for his ability.

As Matthew Lloyd said this morning, everything he does is fantastic, Watson has created an issue with his goal kicking, resolves that and we have one of the game's premier small forwards.

Some of his intercept work yesterday was brilliant, although there was one he should have makred (juggling effort) but appeared to chose to punch the ball forward and create a foot race. Lesson. learnt there, AFL players aren't useless u18 hacks.

His kick to Dylan Moore is what shuold be seen as the norm for his ability.
Lloyd's plan makes sense. Walk between the cones!

I think he runs off to the side because he can't kick it very far, so he's trying to generate some more power.

When he's kicked goals from around the arc in games (and at training) he's either been on the run already or has played on and run off to the side.

He's quick enough to create some space when he plays on, so I don't think it's too much of an issue when he is 40/50m out. It's the shots from 30m out that he needs to relax and kick it conventionally.

I've come around to thinking that the problem may be the kicking coach given that both Watson and Ginnivan have the same issues when kicking for goal. To the point that neither has any confidence kicking for goal from a set shot. Or maybe there is some juju curse from on both of them. It is mind boggling to me that both players approach to kicking for goal is verging on the ridiculous.

I've come around to thinking that the problem may be the kicking coach given that both Watson and Ginnivan have the same issues when kicking for goal. To the point that neither has any confidence kicking for goal from a set shot. Or maybe there is some juju curse from on both of them. It is mind boggling to me that both players approach to kicking for goal is verging on the ridiculous.
Don't think it's coaching. It's just lads being lads mucking around. They all do this stuff

Watson and Ginnivan are doing a lot more running this season than they've ever done before. Both in distance and intensity. Ginnivan at least has a few more preseasons under his belt. They'll both adjust in time.

Siposs is a development coach not a kicking coach, and even then you're trying to undo the way players have kicked since they were barely able to walk. It's as engrained in their muscles as walking, running, sitting down in a chair.

Watson and Ginnivan are doing a lot more running this season than they've ever done before. Both in distance and intensity. Ginnivan at least has a few more preseasons under his belt. They'll both adjust in time.

I appreciate that they are both working very hard up and down the ground. But I don't think it is fatigue (generally) when I look at how they both appear to lack the mental intent when lining up and in fact, seem to avoid kicking a drop punt at every opportunity. I just hope coaches aren't just telling them to go with what they think is best because that seems to be half the problem. The other half of the problem is that the kicks seem almost careless.

I was SO wrong about Nick Watson pre-draft.

I thought he was just a top small forward prospect.
He could become one of the greatest small forwards of all time.
I had massive concern over his height pre draft. Was all in on Duursma for our pick. I was sold on him after just 2 games.
After Our recruiting over the past 4- 5 years has been exceptional

Siposs is a development coach not a kicking coach, and even then you're trying to undo the way players have kicked since they were barely able to walk. It's as engrained in their muscles as walking, running, sitting down in a chair.

I obviously have no idea how they developed over time but people have pointed out that Watson did not seem to have the same kicking issues at Box Hill and Ginnivan kicked some 40 odd at Collingwood. And I have seen him kick set shots when he was playing for them. So, I don't think it is technique either.

I have said this before. Watson will be a superstar of this comp. Some of the stuff he does even at training are just jaw dropping. Doesn't miss many at training. It's all in his head. He nearly blew that game wide open in a 5 to 10 minute burst a few players have the ability to impact the game like he does. He is an A grader and match winner. It's only a matter of time

I think he runs off to the side because he can't kick it very far, so he's trying to generate some more power.

When he's kicked goals from around the arc in games (and at training) he's either been on the run already or has played on and run off to the side.

He's quick enough to create some space when he plays on, so I don't think it's too much of an issue when he is 40/50m out. It's the shots from 30m out that he needs to relax and kick it conventionally.

Maybe he needs to stay closer to goal

He kicked a goal from around 50 out against the Saints a few weeks back .
Clearly veered right struck it beautifully and nailed it . It's worth another look if you get a chance .

His two misses yesterday close together look similar , but checking back each are a bit different in pace , build up and stride length .
So the routine wasn't quite the same. Probably due to match day heat.

To me this shows he is working on it and is just in the awkward development stage and getting it ingrained for match day.
Routine/technique change takes time .

I'm not worried about it . The guy is electric and keeps generating shots and opportunity.
He will win us a game before the year is out and probably nails 5-6 straight doing it .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have said this before. Watson will be a superstar of this comp. Some of the stuff he does even at training are just jaw dropping. Doesn't miss many at training. It's all in his head. He nearly blew that game wide open in a 5 to 10 minute burst a few players have the ability to impact the game like he does. He is an A grader and match winner. It's only a matter of time
Exactly the same that I see TFP 👍. One of those rare players that does things you can’t teach!

The kid is absolute dynamite.

His: Smother/tackles/marking/spoil/steal/fowardcraft and ball movement were elite yesterday and set shot yips are irrelevant in a first year player
I notice nobody is mentioning his height anymore.

Could easily be better than Cyril.
Lol mate steady on there will never be another Cyril.

The kid is absolute dynamite.

His: Smother/tackles/marking/spoil/steal/fowardcraft and ball movement were elite yesterday and set shot yips are irrelevant in a first year player
I notice nobody is mentioning his height anymore.

Could easily be better than Cyril.
Cyril almost redefined what it meant to be a small forward in his first season. If he can stay fit and avoid the soft tissue injuries Cyril had he might have a better career, but he'll never be a better player imo.

Not another Cyril, but someone could be better. ;)

Let us dream man! Let us dreeeeeaamm!
Yeah look I have seen the wiz in action over multiple pre seasons. I was adamant we would pick him up with our first pick. He will be a great player an A grader and game breaker but no one can do what Cyril did. Lets put it this way Watson is a freak but Cyril was and still is the king of freaks. I still miss him what a player he was.

What has surprised me is how good he is overhead.
And if we put the misses aside, anyone having 6 scoring shots a game is in the elite category.
And he still hasn't played 10 games yet. 😳

Yeah look I have seen the wiz in action over multiple pre seasons. I was adamant we would pick him up with our first pick. He will be a great player an A grader and game breaker but no one can do what Cyril did. Lets put it this way Watson is a freak but Cyril was and still is the king of freaks. I still miss him what a player he was.
No point comparing them at all. Aside from being small forwards, they have different weapons.
Cyril's lateral movement and strength were off the scale.
Wiz has serious speed, and a huge leap. But it's his IQ that sets him apart. Due to his height limitation, he's had to read the game 3 steps ahead. You can see it.
He's viewing a different matrix out there.

Box Office. Will be dragging people to games for years. Just exciting

Game 7, in front of 92k, 19 years old and looked like he was just strolling around in his backyard. Not many kids can feel that comfortable that quickly.
Loved that he keeps up the banter and mongrel. Confidence and self belief. Going to be such a star

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back