Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Larkins is usually a little pessimistic as it gets clicks.

It really just depends on how it settles. Will and the medical staff will be doing everything in their power to help his recovery.
A little pessimistic is being very generous to Larkins. I would say dial-a-quote flog who will say anything to get his name in the paper / head on TV.

He may prove to be correct in this instance, but if so it will be based on a partially educated guess. I have just as much respect for posters in this thread who imply some medical knowledge.

To give an example of Larkins 'expertise' and reliability - years ago Brendan Fevola was playing for Yarrawonga, and in the last home and away round injured his knee. From 300km away Larkins diagnosed that his season was over, no chance of playing finals. Fev kicked 6 goals in the second semi final two weeks later and four or five in the GF two weeks after that.

Ages ago I was working on a Medical IT product related to CT scans. Larkins came in for a demo, didn't seem to add any new info. Mostly killing time and trying to look important. He had a lot more prominent TV role then.

Re: Larkins and co, I have no doubt that Day will still be sore in 3 weeks time and that an ordinary person would not be advised to do activity that might increase the pain like playing footy. But he's a professional athlete and it's finals. If there's no structural risk and it's just pain management, I expect he will be jabbed up and will play.

If I was a betting man I would put money on Will Day lining up if we qualify for finals

If he is still significantly sore wouldn't mind him playing out of a forward pocket and just roaming the ground and playing purely outside.
Use his tank, his marking, and his heart to create extra numbers and scoring opportunities.
Would hate to put him in the guts and have him subjected to the targeting that any opposition will rightfully consider their duty in an attempt to halt us.

If he is still significantly sore wouldn't mind him playing out of a forward pocket and just roaming the ground and playing purely outside.
Use his tank, his marking, and his heart to create extra numbers and scoring opportunities.
Would hate to put him in the guts and have him subjected to the targeting that any opposition will rightfully consider their duty in an attempt to halt us.
He will be playing in the middle.

Last edited:
If he puts his hand up to play in a final he won't be hiding away in the forward pocket.

Quite the opposite. Expect to see him line up for the opening bounce and crack into that first contest with a little extra just to let everyone know.

Don’t get me wrong, I would much, much prefer to have him out there in our (possible) first final, but our midfield is so damn even these days we can cover him. Duke, Worps and Nash will step up, plus possibly Ward and McKenzie, and we can run blokes like Moorey and C-Mac through there and maybe even give Weds a run through the midfield.

As I said elsewhere, the fans dislike the finals bye, but it may work in our favour this time…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will playing in the middle.

:grimacing:
Ok then.
Strap it the **** up Will.
Assassins Creed Loop GIF by Xbox

If he puts his hand up to play in a final he won't be hiding away in the forward pocket.

Quite the opposite. Expect to see him line up for the opening bounce and crack into that first contest with a little extra just to let everyone know.

Well, not sure what I was describing was hiding.....but ok.
Having said that, Sam has experimented in recent games taking him out of the center and playing other roles, whether off the half back or a negating forward.
I think Coach has been trying to protect him from some niggles we're not being clued in on, wish maybe we'd continued last game and tried to nurse him into a better physical space.

Re: Larkins and co, I have no doubt that Day will still be sore in 3 weeks time and that an ordinary person would not be advised to do activity that might increase the pain like playing footy. But he's a professional athlete and it's finals. If there's no structural risk and it's just pain management, I expect he will be jabbed up and will play.
Bit harsh - I’ve come across him a bit through work and he always came across as a reasonable bloke who knew his stuff. There is a reason why orthos ask him to assist in procedures, knows what he is doing

Ps I’m in the camp for please don’t jab him up to play. He’s a future captain and best player, can’t compromise his long term recovery for an elimination final - he has plenty more finals to play in the years coming

Well, not sure what I was describing was hiding.....but ok.
Having said that, Sam has experimented in recent games taking him out of the center and playing other roles, whether off the half back or a negating forward.
I think Coach has been trying to protect him from some niggles we're not being clued in on, wish maybe we'd continued last game and tried to nurse him into a better physical space.
Point is that it will be a final and the contest will be where ever the ball is. If the opposition want to test him then they will test him whether he's in the guts or in a pocket.

Big games are as much a mental battle as it is physical. And I guarantee there will be 22 other Hawthorn players walking taller seeing Day crack in early at the opening bounce compared to seeing him down in the forward pocket minimising contact.

It's the same thing as with Hodge and his ribs in the 08 GF. He could've started on the bench to spare his ribs the frantic opening minutes of a GF but instead he's out on the ground lifting his arm to give Stokes some free swings and just laughing at him.

Arguably that moment won us the game before the opening bounce.

Bit harsh - I’ve come across him a bit through work and he always came across as a reasonable bloke who knew his stuff. There is a reason why orthos ask him to assist in procedures, knows what he is doing

Ps I’m in the camp for please don’t jab him up to play. He’s a future captain and best player, can’t compromise his long term recovery for an elimination final - he has plenty more finals to play in the years coming
What's the actual risk though? If it's anything like an AC joint injury where there is no healing to be done (no possible it doesn't heal, just stays torn forever) 2 weeks or 2 years makes no difference to the function of his body or it hurting again.

It's not like a muscle tear or broken bone where it needs to heal or a ligament surgery like ACL reconstruction that has recovery time and healing.

Not sure about SC joint but AC joint I did a grade 3 tear and it's still a grade 3 tear now 12 years later. My collarbone is completely separated from my shoulder joint but my arm works fine and it doesn't hurt outside of certain movements or directly poking the bone. I had 2 weeks off basketball and 4 off football when I did it. If I was a professional player with pain management, rehab and physio access, plus the strength that comes from being a full time athlete it would have been less than 4 weeks. Also finals on the line you push it a bit.

Point is that it will be a final and the contest will be where ever the ball is. If the opposition want to test him then they will test him whether he's in the guts or in a pocket.

Big games are as much a mental battle as it is physical. And I guarantee there will be 22 other Hawthorn players walking taller seeing Day crack in early at the opening bounce compared to seeing him down in the forward pocket minimising contact.

It's the same thing as with Hodge and his ribs in the 08 GF. He could've started on the bench to spare his ribs the frantic opening minutes of a GF but instead he's out on the ground lifting his arm to give Stokes some free swings and just laughing at him.

Arguably that moment won us the game before the opening bounce.

No worries, we just see it differently.
Every time the ball gets thrown up it's a car crash between at least 3 players trying to win contested ball.
I reckon Day doesn't last being asked to do that role (after this recent shoulder injury), and if the only way Hawthorn players can walk taller is to see him following the ball we're in the shite.
I didn't think that happened last weekend, didn't think they worried when he finished the day early against Carlton, and don't think it would even occur to them in any final.
I believe they see themselves as a whole unit, every player with his weapons. Reckon they'd be stoked to see Day run around and receive on the outside all game and finish with 33 possessions, 8 marks, 3 goals and 5 assists.

Honestly, I love the kid, but if he doesn't play or has to play in a more limited role I don't think were ****ed or anything.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back