Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how difficult he has become to tackle. Deceptively strong for a guy who still looks slim.
Wriggles out of tackles or releases a handball at the last second. He mentioned the other night how much they (core midfield group) love shaking tackles especially drawing in more than 1 tackler to release another player into space. Also mentioned taking pride in sticking tackles defensively!

He was damn clean even in those conditions.

Both he and Massimo must have played with all the grippo the club had, neither fumbled even once.

His ability to ride tackles and dish off to someone is elite. That's if he's not breaking the tackles completely. On the other end his tackling technique is also elite, he drives his body into players and doesn't give away frees.

Wriggles out of tackles or releases a handball at the last second. He mentioned the other night how much they (core midfield group) love shaking tackles especially drawing in more than 1 tackler to release another player into space. Also mentioned taking pride in sticking tackles defensively!
It's very Pendlebury like.

His body positioning and awareness would be top 10 in the league. Always knows how to take advantage of any space he has, and is so smart with how he not only gets the ball, but also makes it hard for oppo players to get to him.

His ability to stand up in tackles and either break the tackle or get out a clean handball is close to the best in the comp. Incredible player.
It's so strange, a lot of the time he doesn't exactly power through the tackles they kinda just fall away from him.

It's so strange, a lot of the time he doesn't exactly power through the tackles they kinda just fall away from him.
He's obviously got an incredibly strong core.

I remember Pendlebury talking many years ago about how he prioritised core strength over anything else because it enabled him to stand up in tackles, keep his arms free and not go to ground. I bet Will is doing the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two things I noticed is that he stays light on his feet so he's able to change direction quickly but also power through when needed, and he's very good at shimmying through a tackle at the moment of contact.

Incredible balance, spatial awareness and core strength.

How did this guy only have 20 touches? He was everywhere and so influential. High impact player but in a different way to wiz.

Spent a fair bit of time on the pine in the last quarter when he could have junked it up.

I’m glad this has not aged well.
Day is such a jet. Love the effort, skill and commitment.
Dug this one out! Day is the reason I no longer complain about who we pick up!

Day single handedly kept us in it during the first quarter. While many of our players (including our midfield) were under performing and the Crows were up and running Day lead from the front kept cracking in keeping us in it. It stood out like a beacon that it was a come follow me boys moment. Big heart ……. no wonder his name is Will!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back