Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dug this one out! Day is the reason I no longer complain about who we pick up!
Awesome post. Such a great way to describe this young man.

We recruited a stick figure, and thought, how's this guy gonna stand the rigours of 200 games of afl footy. He is a walking talking lesson on not judging a book by its cover.

When we first got him, I loved the pick, but not because of the footy, because his grandfather was a premiership player, and that provides heart. Then I saw him and thought, well, at least the injuries will be easy to diagnose, the club doctors won't need x-rays they can just hold him up to the light.

Couple of quiet games in a row. Opposition have worked him out a little maybe? Excited to see him take his game to the next level. Have no doubt that he will.
He was playing down back a tad more yesterday, mainly with CJ's absence

Wasn't an out and out mid yesterday

Now that Weddle is fast becoming a 'must tag' type of player like Day ,it plays right into our swarm forward game plan. Very hard for an opposition to compete if 2 of their players are focused on stopping rather playing attacking football . Also very exhausting on the rest of the opposition team.

Can't remember what footage it was that I saw last week, could've just been the news story from the Father Son training but Day was away from the main group. He's probably carrying something.

Now that Weddle is fast becoming a 'must tag' type of player like Day ,it plays right into our swarm forward game plan. Very hard for an opposition to compete if 2 of their players are focused on stopping rather playing attacking football . Also very exhausting on the rest of the opposition team.

Sides have also put work into Newcombe and Worpel at different times, and discovered there also you can't tag them both.

It's whack a mole. You go over one and the other keeps popping up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was playing down back a tad more yesterday, mainly with CJ's absence

Wasn't an out and out mid yesterday

He had 11 CBA's out of a possible 25, whilst only playing 54% game time. Including a game high 4 centre clearances. That suggests he started in the middle for most of the time he was on the field. Hewett clamped him well after his great first quarter.

He had 11 CBA's out of a possible 25, whilst only playing 54% game time. Including a game high 4 centre clearances. That suggests he started in the middle for most of the time he was on the field. Hewett clamped him well after his great first quarter.
Being at the game

Spent a lot of time down back in the first quarter when Sis was off

Absolutely shattered when I saw him get up from the contest that caused the injury.

We need him so much to inspire and create like he does, and to get the heat off Jai and Worpel.

Fingers crossed that whatever it is can be managed over the next three weeks. Assuming we win this week and make finals, that pre-finals bye is a Godsend for him.

Without having any specific knowledge as to the extent of injuries. If there are no broken bones, then we are talking about bruising. That he had gone to hospital, would rule out internal organ damage because he would have been tested for that as well as for broken bones at the hospital. I’m thinking at worst, bone bruising at best tissue bruising. And depending on the severity they should be able to get him back early if need be by providing some padded protection to the area.

Without having any specific knowledge as to the extent of injuries. If there are no broken bones, then we are talking about bruising. That he had gone to hospital, would rule out internal organ damage because he would have been tested for that as well as for broken bones at the hospital. I’m thinking at worst, bone bruising at best tissue bruising. And depending on the severity they should be able to get him back early if need be by providing some padded protection to the area.
Why would they test for damage to internal organs if they were concerned about his collar bone?

After what occurred with Petracca it sounds like the club are making sure absolutely everything has been checked off.
Speaking of that hit, Nuke's one looked just as bad, if not worse. Knee right in the kidneys. Lucky he didn't cop the same fate! Any of us mortal men would be out for the count.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back