Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the end of 2024, you're talking about the end of 2023, and I'm talking about what we need to be doing in 2025.

In talking about what we need to do be doing in 2025 did you not mention Dusty has not been the same since his kidney injury(late in 2021?) His 2023 season was perfectly in line with all his best seasons bar 2017 when you allow for age and role.

So if he has been carrying a repairable injury and playing out of absolute necessity(given all our other injuries, the desire to get him to 300 games) in 2024, what is best for the club is surely keeping Dusty at the club, providing he is willing to stay. Players of this level just do not grow on trees. With a good run with injuries next year, having Dusty in our team could be the difference of playing finals or not. Something the club should be striving to do.

I am struggling to believe posts I am reading about Dusty from normally sensible posters. He has clearly been playing under duress this year, with some sort of specific injury that would definitely not be terminal decay that commenced with his kidney injury. 2023 has 100% proven that assertion of yours incorrect.

In talking about what we need to do be doing in 2025 did you not mention Dusty has not been the same since his kidney injury(late in 2021?) His 2023 season was perfectly in line with all his best seasons bar 2017 when you allow for age and role.

So if he has been carrying a repairable injury and playing out of absolute necessity(given all our other injuries, the desire to get him to 300 games) in 2024, what is best for the club is surely keeping Dusty at the club, providing he is willing to stay. Players of this level just do not grow on trees. With a good run with injuries next year, having Dusty in our team could be the difference of playing finals or not. Something the club should be striving to do.

I am struggling to believe posts I am reading about Dusty from normally sensible posters. He has clearly been playing under duress this year, with some sort of specific injury that would definitely not be terminal decay that commenced with his kidney injury. 2023 has 100% proven that assertion of yours incorrect.
1722317305450.png

Dusty 2023 v 2024

In every stat he has regressed and while we've been a poor side this year and that can account for some of the problems, you only need to see the way he moves and the constant issues he has had with his body to understand that maybe time has caught up with him. So far this year, he has missed games because of calf issues, that took weeks to get right, then another month now with a back complaint. There are no guarantees that his body improves from where it currently is at, which is why I suggest we need to have those hard conversations with players like Martin and the other over 30s.

Asking the question as to whether it's right for Martin to go on, isn't wrong and you can bet you last dollar that exact question is being asked within the club as we head towards the end of the season and list management decisions will be made.

When you put it like that, it's no surprise to find we look as bad as we do.

Just as players start to settle we're changing their roles and then you have supporters wondering why we struggle to play consistently

the injury list of

Josh Gibcus Dylan Grimes Tylar Young
xx Campbell Gray xx
Jack Ross Jack Graham Marlion Pickett
Dustin Martin Tom Lynch Mykelti Lefau
Liam Fawcett Maurice Rioli jnr Judson Clarke

Toby Nankervis Oliver Hayes-Brown
Mate Colina Sam Naismith.

is not a precondition for a settled team & in fact the ACLs are ****ing up 2025 too

Sacking an assistant coach gives me hope we change the fitness program. Sack Meehan first and foremost.

Backline its been the 2 KPDs coming in for injury. Small and medium backs have played a lot. Balta has played ruck, KPP

Midfield :Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Graham missing a lot of footy. Baker having to play multiple positions is a plus. Rioli reinvented as a HBF.

Fwd line: basket case again. No Lynch. Kosi & Ryan only fair. LeFau injured, no Fawcett. Smalls Mansell, Bolton, Campbell, Green, MRJ have been OK.
I'd rather not see KMac there.

Last edited:

View attachment 2063588

Dusty 2023 v 2024

In every stat he has regressed and while we've been a poor side this year and that can account for some of the problems, you only need to see the way he moves and the constant issues he has had with his body to understand that maybe time has caught up with him. So far this year, he has missed games because of calf issues, that took weeks to get right, then another month now with a back complaint. There are no guarantees that his body improves from where it currently is at, which is why I suggest we need to have those hard conversations with players like Martin and the other over 30s.

Asking the question as to whether it's right for Martin to go on, isn't wrong and you can bet you last dollar that exact question is being asked within the club as we head towards the end of the season and list management decisions will be made.

That type of drop off from 23 to 24 is never going to be the result of old age suddenly catching up with someone. You can easily see the team has largely tried to keep him out of contests. For example, he has been involved in less than a 1/4 of the 1 v 1 contests per match in 2024 compared to 2023. He has been playing injured for 2 very obvious reasons:

1. because the club had so few players available it was better to play a 10% fit Dusty than the 42nd best player on the list, and

2. given we were out of contention early, it was clear they wanted to target that Hawks game for his 300th.

With a few more available and that out of the way, lo and behold he gets a few weeks off to recover. There is very little to suggest he is in terminal decline, though I agree if that was the case he would need to retire as even the very best cannot play at AFL level when they can't move freely. But we have seen more than enough flashes of his brilliance in the early parts of games to see he has lost very little when he can move freely.

He will be in decline like every other 33yo, but if anywhere near fully fit he is still a commanding presence on field. I played footy through all these years up to about 35yo, and you do start to get some calf injuries etc, but you can still play perfectly well if you are fit. What you lose in explosiveness you can often make up for with knowhow. There gets a point where a player just can't compete, but he would be nowhere even near that point.

If he is cooked and knows it I am sure he will retire. I don't think that is very likely.

Dusty is only a distraction to those outside the club.

If he wants to play on at Richmond, given the prognosis on his fitness is ok, the club is 100% compelled to give him the opportunity to do so. You don't cut a player's career short when he is that good. Plenty of other players can be moved aside for youngsters to get games if that is even required.
I don’t think we would be cutting his career short, if he wishes to continue his career he is more than able to finish it off at another club that would probably make better use of his skills and a better position for him to enjoy his last years of footy

We need to make tough calls removed from emotions that are about propelling the club and our next wave forward
Unfortunately I don’t see Dusty playing that role for us anymore

I went through all our games and we’ve actually had 29 very poor quarters and I was being generous. We’ve failed to have really good quarters better than the opposing team is the real issue, but with two wins and an average score of around 60 a game isn’t going to help.
Most of what you said I do agree with, but he will not get to midway in his fourth year if things don’t improve by the end of next year. He will get to a third year , but may not see it out if the status quo continues.
I think it will depend on how you would measure success in this period. I would say that since we are in a rebuilding phase, a quarter where we have a good pressure rating but still lose the quarter would still be counted as a good quarter.

As we rebuild I would mark effort and the attack on the ball as the measures of success. I can forgive turnovers in this period. Unless there is another injury crisis, this will change in 2026.

the injury list of

Josh Gibcus Dylan Grimes Tylar Young
xx Campbell Gray xx
Jack Ross Jack Graham Marlion Pickett
Dustin Martin Tom Lynch Mykelti Lefau
Liam Fawcett Maurice Rioli jnr Judson Clarke

Toby Nankervis Oliver Hayes-Brown
Mate Colina Sam Naismith.

is not a precondition for a settled team & in fact the ACLs are ****ing up 2025 too

Sacking an assistant coach gives me hope we change the fitness program. Sack Meehan first and foremost.

Backline its been the 2 KPDs coming in for injury. Small and medium backs have played a lot. Balta has played ruck, KPP

Midfield :Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Graham missing a lot of footy. Baker having to play multiple positions is a plus. Rioli reinvented as a HBF.

Fwd line: basket case again. No Lynch. Kosi & Ryan only fair. LeFau injured, no Fawcett. Smalls Mansell, Bolton, Campbell, Green, MRJ have been OK.
I'd rather not see KMac there.
Respect your last few posts. Well done.

Of course he should’ve been gone in 2016

No supporter can sit there following the previous 3 seasons and say the bloke should’ve been coach in 2017

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I didn't want him gone, was glad the club made the decision at the time.
After years of watching the club sack coaches the moment things went to shit I was happy for them to give him a chance to change thing and try something else.
If we had gone into 2017 with the same game style etc expecting something different I would have turned on him then.
Also the difference was there was no hint that he a lost the players like previous coaches had. They still wanted to play for him then.
The moment the coach looses the playing group they are dead in the water.

Yep and we had let Butler and Stengle go to have those 2 on the list ... talk about epic fails lol
Butler is a downhill skier that shirks contests and Stengle, really!!! He needed a 3rd chance before he pulled his finger out and not sure he is 100% on the straight and narrow now!

Every player trains to the game plan I would’ve thought. That’s why Collingwood were successful under Fly’s first season to winning a flag in his second. They could bring in any player with their injuries and would fill a role needed.
What you’re confusing is having skilled and AFL quality players to come in. We just don’t have it as well as senior players not delivering as well.
I think it's both. You say the Swans game is an outlier, but in my view it is when our players had played a few games under Yze and it all came together, yes the Swanies were probably a bit off also.
After that it became the on going
injury crises and got beyond the next soldier up. To continue the metaphor we were putting guns in the kids hand and expecting them to do a seasoned soldier's job.
Add to that a lack of decent depth on the list, and too many plodders and it all went to shit.
No we probably wouldn't have made finals even with a dream injury run, but I think we would have been far more competitive.
Blessing in disguise I suppose as it forced the kids to be played and we know a lot more about them than we might have.
Big test is the end of the year and what list changes are made, particularly with the older brigade. I'm sure there will be a few players still on the list most want gone, but we shouldn't expect more than 10 changes to the list.

Unfortunately for Yze, I can see him carrying building the team through our tough times, then the next coach will come in and reap the upward climb
Always going to be tough for a coach when they come in when the team bottoms out. We haven't started our rebuild yet.
The rebuild was already under way at Hawthorn before Mitchell started.
There will need to be positive signs in the 3rd year for Yze to be given an extension I would expect.

84e1d82ed5f30bb18d39880c6874842f.jpg

I posted in the autopsy last week that I’d love to see how many Rebound 50 goals we concede and coincidentally 7AFL have provided it.

Something that needs to be addressed as we let the oppo walk the length of the ground multiple times each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the rumours of players wanting to or being open leaving a sign that they don't really rate Yze?

Don't think it's Yze, it's the shape of our list, they all know we don't have another flag in us for the rest of their careers.

Let's not fool ourselves, players, play footy to win.

Don't think it's Yze, it's the shape of our list, they all know we don't have another flag in us for the rest of their careers.

Let's not fool ourselves, players, play footy to win.

Many of those players were carried to premierships by our greats. Any player that wants to leave can go.

So basically since 2020, Dusty has had a hot "back 9" in 2023 & othewise been injured, unmotivated or unseen the remainder of the time

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back