Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Newman likely the only assistant coach who’d rip into them and get a response out of the playing group

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don’t think Newman is the type either. He’s very balanced and delivers his message with more of a gentle thrust.

VFL/AFL seasons where the side that won the wooden spoon had a win vs the side that won the minor premiership
1904 - stk v fitz
1910 - stk v carl
1922 - sth v coll
1949 - haw v nth
1959 - wbd v melb
1960 - rich v melb
1967 - wbd v rich
1976 - coll v carl
2024 - RICH v SYD

Honourable mentions to Fitzroy in 1980 and 1991.

In 1980, they won the wooden spoon and didn’t beat the minor premier (Geelong) but by kicking nine goals to two in the final quarter of their final round match against Carlton and reducing the margin to four points, they cost the Blues the minor premiership.

In 1991, they got off the bottom of the ladder with a final round win over minor premiers West Coast.

In 1980, they won the wooden spoon and didn’t beat the minor premier (Geelong) but by kicking nine goals to two in the final quarter of their final round match against Carlton and reducing the margin to four points, they cost the Blues the minor premiership.

In 1991, they got off the bottom of the ladder with a final round win over minor premiers West Coast.
That was an awesome season bc Cats finished on top and Carlton second after we lost to South at Lake Oval by about nine goals in the last round and they both won their last round games. We lose top spot in the last round
They then both went out in straight sets in the finals losing their games to both us and Collingwood who we blew away in the GF.

Last edited:
That was an awesome season bc Cats finished on top and Carlton second after we lost to South at Lake Oval by about nine goals in the last round and they both won their last round games. We lose top spot in the last round
They then went out in straight sets in the finals losing their games to both us and Collingwood who we blew away in the GF.

That’s right, I was only seven/eight that season but remember it well. My dad took me to three games - a loss against Geelong and a win over North at the MCG and that Lake Oval game, where my abiding memory is of David Ackerly (quite literally!) sitting on Dale Weightman at one point. 😱

Name me a side that would be strong on field when only one player? Has played every game under any coach let alone a first year, with so many unavailable players. Also when announced as coach we had a CEO only to leave as well.
I agree to a point. Yeah we can make excuses about everything. For me history shows a new coach brings new hope, players lift for them, they also bring there own assistants which he hasn't done. Players unrest shows from the seniors to the VFL where the VFL players week in week out are better than our listed. The other is, does anyone know his gameplan that he says his trying to incorporate? For me how can he lift the club where we still had mature premiership players and so called super stars cant win a game with basically a very young team next season!

They then went out in straight sets in the finals losing their games to both us and Collingwood who we blew away in the GF.
Well known our coach told them to lose that game as he didn't want a break the first week and wanted them match fit. Was weird season think we lost first 4 games and drew with saints in the 5th on going to thrash every team till the last round. Still the best team not just rfc but entire league I have seen.

VFL/AFL seasons where the side that won the wooden spoon had a win vs the side that won the minor premiership
1904 - stk v fitz
1910 - stk v carl
1922 - sth v coll
1949 - haw v nth
1959 - wbd v melb
1960 - rich v melb
1967 - wbd v rich
1976 - coll v carl
2024 - RICH v SYD

We have been involved in 3 of the last 4 occurrences. It is getting to be a habit with us.

I agree to a point. Yeah we can make excuses about everything. For me history shows a new coach brings new hope, players lift for them, they also bring there own assistants which he hasn't done. Players unrest shows from the seniors to the VFL where the VFL players week in week out are better than our listed. The other is, does anyone know his gameplan that he says his trying to incorporate? For me how can he lift the club where we still had mature premiership players and so called super stars cant win a game with basically a very young team next season!

Yze if he sells all the senior players now being mooted is starting to look very Machiavellian.

Having studied the great prince maker to some extent, I note one of his guiding principles in when to apply ruthlessness to anyone who stands in your way of implementing what you want to implement: YOU NEED TO BE RIGHT. In the context of football, what the leader does, no matter how brutal, needs to be for the good of the club.

We should be able to see in time if these decisions were right, and for the good of the club. Or whether they were just to make Yze's life easier.

Well known our coach told them to lose that game as he didn't want a break the first week and wanted them match fit. Was weird season think we lost first 4 games and drew with saints in the 5th on going to thrash every team till the last round. Still the best team not just rfc but entire league I have seen.

We won the first game narrowly v Hawks, then lost the second narrowly to Bombers and drew the third v the Saints. We then won 11 in succession before losing to Fitzroy, Geelong and Carlton within a 5 game stretch. We then won 2 matches before losing the final match to the Swans, by plenty. Swans finished 6th in a 12 team comp with a 13-9 record so they weren't too shabby that year.

In the finals we won by margins of 42, 26 and 81. I don't think there are that many Premiership teams that go undefeated through finals, winning by margins of 4 goals+ in each final. Since the introduction of the final 5 system in 1972 only these teams have done it:

1980 Richmond 3 matches

1985 Essendon 2 matches

1996 North Melbourne 3 matches

1999 North Melbourne 3 matches

2000 Essendon 3 matches

2001 Brisbane 3 matches

2008 Hawthorn 3 matches

2011 Geelong 3 matches

2017 Richmond 3 matches

2021 Melbourne 3 matches

Only done by 10 teams in the last 52 finals series. It is a very strong list of Premiers to by any measure, so only the best teams of their era seem to manage it. Richmond 1980 and Essendon 1985 were the only 2 teams to achieve the feat in the 24 years between 1972 and 1995.

If you change the parameter to Premiership teams that won all their finals by 6 goals+(36 points) that list gets very short.

1985 Essendon
1996 North Melbourne
2000 Essendon
2017 Richmond

2017 Richmond is the only team to do that in the 18 team era, the fully professional era, or the team defence era. And it might be some time before we see that matched or bettered. It is funny to think that the team that had the most dominant finals series in the last 23 years actually started a clear outsider in Grand Final markets.

Last edited:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Fitzroy did have a win against the eventual premier at the Junction Oval. We beat them by 20 goals at the MCG earlier in the year. I sat in the magnificent old southern stand as we kicked 29.25 (199) to completely annihilate the poor old Roys. The Tigers were a scoring machine that year.

not bringing his own assistants you can blame purely on the club. These lazy as have already had success players can pack their bags as well.

No, we won the first game against Hawthorn at Princes Park by 5 points. Then I think we lost to Essendon at the MCG by 7 points, then the draw...then I think we won the next 11 games.

The only other losses we had were Geelong at the MCG (17 points), Fitzroy at Junction Oval, and South at the Lake Oval in the last round. Then we blew away Carlton, Geelong and Collingwood to win the flag.

It was an awesome side. Should have won at least another flag with that list.

Apologies to Meteoric Rise. I just saw your earlier post, lol. And I forgot that Carlton loss at Princes Park. We went years without beating them at their own ground.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Fitzroy did have a win against the eventual premier at the Junction Oval. We beat them by 20 goals at the MCG earlier in the year. I sat in the magnificent old southern stand as we kicked 29.25 (199) to completely annihilate the poor old Roys. The Tigers were a scoring machine that year.

Yep saw it with my own eyes. Guys like Conlan ran rings around us at the beginning and they blew us away in the first quarter.

We came back into it to lose by around 3 goals.

Responded the next week by smashing Saints by 152 points up at SCG

That year is the only year that the bottom side (Fitzroy) scored more points than the minor premier (Geelong)

Yeah it was 5losses and a draw. Magnificent season and my first grand final I attended.

Last edited:
VFL players better than listed players;
sometimes, VFL is a league where Williamstown are very good. And have no AFL club affiliation
Morris has to play Ryan, Cumberland, Coulthard who is not up to VFL level. Other than that Smith, Dow, Sonsie Kmac2 play very well. Jagga went OK one week, but might've struggled the next.
Yze gameplan: he looked at the list and thought it could be competitive. 2 KPFs 3 small fwds. Bolton up fwd.

Taranto, Hopper, Prestia being the midfield mix. Kmac on the wing. Martin, Baker, JGTI half forward.
Martin hit the wall quicker than expected.
Ryan didn't improve but NaismIth did an ACL Kosi's back up ruck wasnt bad.

Don't ask me about tactics. But in a 2 KPF fwd line, the club couldn't get Lynch on the park. Post retirement of Jack R, our most important player.
Balta, Kosi, Ryan, Lefau and Bauer rotating through. 60 forward entries for 10 goals. been a problem for 2 years.

Taranto, Hopper, Prestia all played Ground zero & Round 24 too. great clearances but rubbish kicks. and slow.

Needs some pace there. Needs Lynch playing, AND go after someone better than Kosi.

Lynch might create 4 more goals. Himself, crumbing and drawing defenders away. Bolton will need a replacement. MRJ ain't got the kicking ability.

My beef is not dropping out of form senior players. I hope that changes

Last edited:
VFL players better than listed players;
sometimes, VFL is a league where Williamstown are very good. And have no AFL club affiliation
Morris has to play Ryan, Cumberland, Coulthard who is not up to VFL level. Other than that Smith, Dow, Sonsie Kmac2 play very well. Jagga went OK one week, but might've struggled the next.
Yze gameplan: he looked at the list and thought it could be competitive. 2 KPFs 3 small fwds. Bolton up fwd.

Taranto, Hopper, Prestia being the midfield mix. Kmac on the wing. Martin, Baker, JGTI half forward.
Martin hit the wall quicker than expected.
Ryan didn't improve but NaismIth did an ACL Kosi's back up ruck wasnt bad.

Don't ask me about tactics. But in a 2 KPF fwd line, the club couldn't get Lynch on the park. Post retirement of Jack R, our most important player.
Balta, Kosi, Ryan, Lefau and Bauer rotating through. 60 forward entries for 10 goals. been a problem for 2 years.

Taranto, Hopper, Prestia all played Ground zero & Round 24 too. great clearances but rubbish kicks. and slow.

Needs some pace there. Needs Lynch playing, AND go after someone better than Kosi.

Lynch might create 4 more goals. Himself, crumbing and drawing defenders away. Bolton will need a replacement. MRJ ain't got the kicking ability.

My beef is not dropping out of form senior players. I hope that changes
Agree with all that. I assume team selection is not all Yze and perhaps he even has less influence than others on MC in which case it’s more worrying that the whole club misjudges the list and what we need to do. Have to see different approach to selection next year.

That last round against south was a game I missed as we were traveling back from SA after a national titles soccer tournament , sitting in the bus listening to the game with my Maltese mate saying they will come back they will come back and they never did

No, we won the first game against Hawthorn at Princes Park by 5 points. Then I think we lost to Essendon at the MCG by 7 points, then the draw...then I think we won the next 11 games.

The only other losses we had were Geelong at the MCG (17 points), Fitzroy at Junction Oval, and South at the Lake Oval in the last round. Then we blew away Carlton, Geelong and Collingwood to win the flag.

It was an awesome side. Should have won at least another flag with that list.

Apologies to Meteoric Rise. I just saw your earlier post, lol. And I forgot that Carlton loss at Princes Park. We went years without beating them at their own ground.
Remember the bloke with the sack of peanuts

To Tiger_4_Life Nostradumbass and sante thanks for the kind compliments and likewise as you’re all good citizens and passionate Tigers like myself. Would love to catch up again one day if I can get to the smoke for a game as I have a busy life here. I’m sure if we met most people on here we’d all get on well .
Have also met and been to the races with TI, top guy who's a very passionate Tiger.

Have also met and been to the races with TI, top guy who's a very passionate Tiger.
Good days at the races with you mate and thanks for all your invitations. Remember the 2019 Prelim I bumped into you at HT and you were down and out then you ran off the minute Dusty nailed the goal at the start of the third? lol
I was sitting with Tiger_4_Life and his family and I gave up that night my MCC seat that Phar Ace invited me to as i gave it to the Organizer of the Hume's Blues Club who'd never been to a final. Phar Ace flew down from QLD and flight was delayed bc of a storm and they missed the first. We all celebrated late in the night with family and friends. Awesome night that one.

Last edited:
My old man took me to that last game at lakeside oval. Stood up in the outer.
Was shithouse.
Then took me to the qualifying final and the second semi.
No go for the grand final though.

Was he the same guy at The Western Oval? Those were the days. All the kids used to mock him as he shouted out, " Peanuts, Peanuts, get your Peanuts".
Yep

My old man took me to that last game at lakeside oval. Stood up in the outer.
Was shithouse.
Then took me to the qualifying final and the second semi.
No go for the grand final though.
Went to all three

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back