Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

We won the first game narrowly v Hawks, then lost the second narrowly to Bombers and drew the third v the Saints. We then won 11 in succession before losing to Fitzroy, Geelong and Carlton within a 5 game stretch. We then won 2 matches before losing the final match to the Swans, by plenty. Swans finished 6th in a 12 team comp with a 13-9 record so they weren't too shabby that year.

In the finals we won by margins of 42, 26 and 81. I don't think there are that many Premiership teams that go undefeated through finals, winning by margins of 4 goals+ in each final. Since the introduction of the final 5 system in 1972 only these teams have done it:

1980 Richmond 3 matches

1985 Essendon 2 matches

1996 North Melbourne 3 matches

1999 North Melbourne 3 matches

2000 Essendon 3 matches

2001 Brisbane 3 matches

2008 Hawthorn 3 matches

2011 Geelong 3 matches

2017 Richmond 3 matches

2021 Melbourne 3 matches

Only done by 10 teams in the last 52 finals series. It is a very strong list of Premiers to by any measure, so only the best teams of their era seem to manage it. Richmond 1980 and Essendon 1985 were the only 2 teams to achieve the feat in the 24 years between 1972 and 1995.

If you change the parameter to Premiership teams that won all their finals by 6 goals+(36 points) that list gets very short.

1985 Essendon
1996 North Melbourne
2000 Essendon
2017 Richmond

2017 Richmond is the only team to do that in the 18 team era, the fully professional era, or the team defence era. And it might be some time before we see that matched or bettered. It is funny to think that the team that had the most dominant finals series in the last 23 years actually started a clear outsider in Grand Final markets.
these stats 100% support my everlasting unbiased opinion that Tiger sides of '74,1980 & 2019 along with the Bummers of 1985 as the toughest,most ruthless & most skilled sides ive ever seen run around the park.

Bummers of '85 had TDaniher,VanDer Haar,Salmon & Merret up FWD with Harvey in a pocket
& Watson,Baker,Williams ,SMadden in the guts n a tough uncompromising Neagle on a wing....FAAAAArken

Your best ability is availability (I do dislike agreeing with David king).
Interesting that oakleigh were 3-11, then played their best midfield all together for the first time and destroyed the CTL favourites.
Similarly we see Carlton & Collingwood fall off the cliff on the back of injury.
We had no chance this year - 270 odd games missed thru injury - 100 more than next worst.
We are going to be light on AFL grade talent for a couple of years so critical to get the high performance & development departments in first class order to grow & thrive with the elite young talent we’ll be injecting.
Hopefully Yze can contribute but needs a sh!tload of help

these stats 100% support my everlasting unbiased opinion that Tiger sides of '74,1980 & 2019 along with the Bummers of 1985 as the toughest,most ruthless & most skilled sides ive ever seen run around the park.

Bummers of '85 had TDaniher,VanDer Haar,Salmon & Merret up FWD with Harvey in a pocket
& Watson,Baker,Williams ,SMadden in the guts n a tough uncompromising Neagle on a wing....FAAAAArken

I think our 2017 team is hugely under-rated. That team as they played in the finals would go toe to toe with any team in history imo. Even great teams just wouldn't be able to score fluently against them and then they have to find a way to stop Dusty without leaving other very efficient players running loose on their own. They were playing with more than the usual surplus to the sum of its parts a flag team has. There was 35 years of "Coward of the County" type feelings bottled up inside every player, the coach, every employee, every volunteer, and every supporter of the club that an opposition team would need to overcome. Even Guiseppe Mamone was impossible for an opposition property steward to match. Everything was done with conviction and feeling. I am not sure any team in history would have survived it.

I'd add the Geelong 2007 side to that too.

I'll say this.
The best coach in history, whoever that is, wouldn't have been able to do much this season with our list and injuries.
Clarkson is finding out you are not a coach if you don't have the players. Norf's effort against the Hawks was deadset embarrassing. At least our blokes had a crack.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Yze goes with some new toys in the cot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listened to the interview with Benny on Talking Tigers. He suggested that perhaps Yze had been treading a little too delicately this year trying not to upset the establishment given he was walking into a club that had just come off the back of a lot of success.

I think the off-field moves that are being made now are about Yze taking full control and shaping the club how he envisions it.

Listened to the interview with Benny on Talking Tigers. He suggested that perhaps Yze had been treading a little too delicately this year trying not to upset the establishment given he was walking into a club that had just come off the back of a lot of success.

I think the off-field moves that are being made now are about Yze taking full control and shaping the club how he envisions it.
Good so hopefully the criticism, ends. This offseason is the first time he has really taken full control of the list.

Can people now stop saying all the players love Yze? I don't believe it to be true & it's not what I have heard either.

There were players who hated Dimma too. I doubt he made himself popular early on with all the delistings we did there.

Always going to happen, you're never going to get 40 blokes who love the coach or even eachother. At the end of the day, the coach is there to coach, not be best mates (and so I've been told on this board many times).

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Richmond Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back