Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MATTAES PHILLIPOU!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if a few more marks start to stick and he kicks a few, he'll go to another level with his confidence. When that happens, look out.
He's gonna be a 25-30 goal a year lock once he gets a few preseasons into those Hunter Clark arms.

That's the only thing holding him back from clunking a few more. His timing & ability to get hands to the ball is absolutely ridiculous for a kid his age.

I'd like to see him kick the pill a bit more often though... his current default setting is to look to handball first (which he does very effectively already).

He's bloody young and pretty raw. No doubt he is a super talent but I think it will just be cameo's for a while yet. Just hope we can lock him in.
I’d be very surprised if we haven’t locked him away for at least three years by the end of the season.
At the moment I’m happy to see the odd hanger, goal from 50 and clean hands in close. It’s all part of the learning curve and I don’t think he could be showing much more. Imagine him and Owens starting in the centre in a couple of years.

Probably been said, but if that running goal went through you'd think the kid would have been put up for goal of the year, mark of the year, and rising star all from one game. Can't imagine that would happen too often.

Probably been said, but if that running goal went through you'd think the kid would have been put up for goal of the year, mark of the year, and rising star all from one game. Can't imagine that would happen too often.
We were unlucky Owens didn't hit that trifecta a few weeks back. It was Seb's don't argue goal from 50 that would have cost him the last nomination.

Happy for Philipou to get his nomination. I have to remind myself how exciting a prospect he is because Owens is already looking so close to a complete footballer, but this guys ceiling is probably next highest after Owens and King.

Fingers crossed we can get Caminiti a nomination by seasons end, that would be a very good outcome for a "year of exploration".

We were unlucky Owens didn't hit that trifecta a few weeks back. It was Seb's don't argue goal from 50 that would have cost him the last nomination.

Happy for Philipou to get his nomination. I have to remind myself how exciting a prospect he is because Owens is already looking so close to a complete footballer, but this guys ceiling is probably next highest after Owens and King.

Fingers crossed we can get Caminiti a nomination by seasons end, that would be a very good outcome for a "year of exploration".
Can you be nominated if suspended?

I think King's ceiling is Tom Lynch sort of dominant tall forward but Phillipou has some genuine x-factor that sets him apart from the rest of our kids. Mitch has it too but in a bit more industrial fashion.

To me Phillipou has proper superstar vibes. Looks like a Bontempelli type of class, match winner attitude and drive in one package. I don't think he has a ceiling.

My god he is just a kid
Sounds like we are very lucky to have Mason Wood seems to do a heap of work with the Kids

100%.

Many of us were perplexed when the club gave me a lifeline. They sure showed us.

That you Mase?

Keep forgetting Phillipou is the youngest player in the league.
Up to 90 kegs already. Speaks so well. Really he is nowhere near his potential.as yet.
We have to extend his contract ASAP, he should be a one team player and in our next premiership team.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

That you Mase?

Keep forgetting Phillipou is the youngest player in the league.
Up to 90 kegs already. Speaks so well. Really he is nowhere near his potential.as yet.
We have to extend his contract ASAP, he should be a one team player and in our next premiership team.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
This kid is going to be the Bombers’ Bont regret.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jesus, why would you say that 🤮

I just reckon his level will be that kind of reliable 65 goal a season type tall forward. Call it Tom Hawkins then. Jeremy Cameron is the only forward who's kicked more in about 5 years and I don't think he has the bag of trucks that Cameron has so probably imagine that 70 is around the maximum for any modern forward unless an absolute freak comes out and smashes it.

Great interview with Mattaes. You wouldn't think he's just an 18 year old kid in his first year since he speaks incredibly well in every media appearance.
I know those two arnt the biggest blokes but bugger me he looks massive

Super impressed with how he interviewed. Shame they don’t have a still side on pic of his mark.

He's an exceptional interviewee for his age. A lot of late career guys don't handle it as well. He's very open but quick thinking at the same time. He's got the self confidence of Fyfe but has a real self awareness about how he comes across. He looks like the complete package.

He's an exceptional interviewee for his age. A lot of late career guys don't handle it as well. He's very open but quick thinking at the same time. He's got the self confidence of Fyfe but has a real self awareness about how he comes across. He looks like the complete package.
Future Captain
Future Coach
Future President

One thing that impressed me was the footage after the game of him and Sharman speaking about their marks.

Sharman was joking about him finally pulling off a mark. For a 18 year old to just go along with it and even praise Sharman. It showed a lot of maturity and his self confidence.

This kid believes in him self. If there is one thing we know, being around these sort of people only raises others up.

I wonder how many Kobe motivational videos he has watched on YouTube.

One thing that impressed me was the footage after the game of him and Sharman speaking about their marks.

Sharman was joking about him finally pulling off a mark. For a 18 year old to just go along with it and even praise Sharman. It showed a lot of maturity and his self confidence.

This kid believes in him self. If there is one thing we know, being around these sort of people only raises others up.

I wonder how many Kobe motivational videos he has watched on YouTube.

Agree. He is very impressive in his deportment and interaction with others. Has the natural charisma to become a much loved player to not just St Kilda fans, but the entire AFL community.

I love the way he presents, love the way he speaks. I hope he can continue to be allowed to play with some freedom and his own sparkling instinct because it’s fun to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MATTAES PHILLIPOU!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back