Toast Welcome to West Coast pick 31 - Malcolm Karpany

Remove this Banner Ad

31. Malcolm Karpany - Woodville-West Torrens (176cm, 71kg, small forward)

293146.jpg

From AFL Draft Tracker:
Small midfielder/forward with penetrating left foot and elite recovery and agility which allows him to side-step through traffic. Good mark for his size and has clean hands.

"A best on ground performance by Malcolm Karpany in Woodville West Torrensā€™ Under 18 grand final win just added to his credentials moving into the AFL draft.
He was playing through the finals under duress having spent all of August on the sidelines due to groin and hip injuries.
ā€œMalcolmā€™s first half was superb, and although he tired in the second half, I adjudged him as best on ground,ā€ said Alan Stewart, the man whose name adorns the medal for best afield.
ā€œHis work-rate early was superb and he set up many opportunities for his team-mates, along with kicking a goal himself in the first term.ā€
In the Eaglesā€™ 14-point win over minor premier North Adelaide he finished with 29 disposals and two goals.
Karpany, who is expected to be a top 30 AFL draft selection, had a big 2013 season, played league football and being a part of South Australian Under 18sā€™ first national championship success.
ā€œMalā€™s class and composure won out of the day,ā€ Eagles coach and club talent manager Shane Grimm said.
ā€œWhen we pushed him forward late he was dangerous as well.
ā€œI believe Malcolm is the best junior footballer at our club.ā€
Plucked out of the Under 18s to play league football this year, he debuted in a Friday night victory over eventual premier Norwood at The Parade, displaying his silky skills and trademark pace.
Woodville West-Torrens talent manager Shane Grimm on Karpany...
Malcolm went to boarding school in Adelaide and started the year fantastically well despite some issues getting around and meeting all his commitments. Played the first two games in the Under 18s and then played the next couple in the senior side and got injured and that set him back a bit for the state team because he came back into that underdone and probably didnā€™t have the impact that he would have liked. Since he came back heā€™s had some groin issues and missed about seven weeks before returning to the Under 18s finals series and won the Alan Stewart Medal as the best player on the ground in the grand final. Heā€™s just a natural footballer with great lateral movement, the best Iā€™ve seen, and he rarely gets caught. Can run as fast sideways as he can forward and heā€™s quite a good mark for a player of his size. Heā€™s also started developing a midfield inside game to complement his outside qualities. Enormous upside.ā€

http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2013/Path-to-the-Draft-Malcolm-Karpany/62534

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...hot-at-afl-level/story-fnii0294-1226756108323

AS MALCOLM Karpany danced around opponent after opponent during Woodville-West Torrens' SANFL grand final win last month, it entrenched in the minds of many his first round AFL National Draft selection credentials.
Awarded the Alan Stewart Medal for best-on-ground, Karpany finished the match with 29 touches, nine marks, seven inside-50s and two goals.
Put simply, he had too much class for his North Adelaide opponents, and put even more simply, Karpany is destined to play AFL football.
A penetrating left-footer, the Yorke Peninsula born half-forward, come wingman, is one of the most evasive in this year's draft pool.
"I think he's talented enough that he will definitely get snapped up somewhere,'' SA under-18 coach Brenton Phillips said of the 18-year-old
"He reads the ball so well and he's got a nice leg, so there's a lot to like for an AFL club."
Karpany grew up in Moonta and quickly established himself as one of the best, and hardest to tackle, young talents on the Yorke Peninsula.
"Growing up in the country there was plenty of space,'' he recalls.
"Speed was probably my biggest strength, and agility, so I would try to run with the ball.
"I think I've tried to take that style of play down to the city."
He moved to Adelaide three years ago after being offered a scholarship at Rostrevor College and, after a challenging first year, began to flourish.
"It was pretty tough leaving family and moving in with a whole house of boys in the boarding house,'' Karpany says.
"That first year was hard but after that I adjusted and began to love it."
The indigenous speedster made his league debut at the Eagles at age 17 earlier this year and went on to have a solid national under-18 carnival.
Karpany averaged a goal per match in his four appearances in SA's championship winning team and also showed some flashes of brilliance that evoked images of some of his idols.
"I've always loved Adam Goodes,'' he says.
"But also Chad Wingard, Chris Yarran, Louis Jetta, all of those guys are pretty exciting ā€¦
"For me it would be a dream to play in the AFL.
"It already seems like a bit of dream talking to (AFL) clubs and having a manager and things like that."

MALCOLM KARPANY
Height: 176cm
Weight: 72kg
Club: Woodville-West Torrens
Scouting report: Fast, evasive skillful, smart. Karpany ticks all the boxes and should find and AFL home at November 21's AFL National Draft.
Draft Tip: 20-40

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 34 ā€“ BRISBANE

Malcolm Karpany
Club: Woodville-West Torrens
D.O.B: 1.06.1995
Height: 175cm
Weight: 71kg
Position: Small Midfielder/Forward/Defender
Plays Like: Matthew Stokes/Chris Yarran
Talk about a South Australian takeover, classy midfielder-come-forward-come-defender Malcolm Karpany won best afield honours in the SANFL Colts Grand Final, collecting the Alan Stewart Medal in the Premiership win for the Eagles off the back of 29 disposals, nine marks, seven inside-50ā€²s and two goals. The solid numbers donā€™t stop there for Karpany who also averaged 24 disposals for SA during the National Championships. Although slight, Karpany has an uncanny way of finding a load of the ball and with a big tank and a strong footy brain ā€“ he provides excitement and x-factor with a touch of class and unpredictability in his game style. Heā€™s a busy, high production midfielder who really knowā€™s how to hit the scoreboard regularly. Another big tick for Karpany is his brilliant pace and agility, and is super damaging not only by foot ā€“ but will hurt you with breakaway speed that makes him near uncatchable. Just about ticks all the boxes for me; elite speed, agility, kick rating, strong overhead, composed at ground level, strength in the contest and a fierce tackler ā€“ Brisbane will get a gem if he lastā€™s until this long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to West Coast pick 31 - Malcolm Karpany

Remove this Banner Ad

Back