Toast Welcome to West Coast pick 31 - Malcolm Karpany

Remove this Banner Ad

"Malcolm went to boarding school in Adelaide and started the year fantastically well despite some issues getting around and meeting all his commitments"

We should of just chosen Garlett....

Seems like he has a better tank than Garlett, and his issues are possibly of a more minor nature? Who are we to know?

I'm not really a fan of highlights packages but he looked quick and has a nice sidestep. He looked a good disposer but they're hardly going to show his shockers on a highlights package.

I agree with those that say he moves like a young Daniel Kerr - it's really noticeable.

He looks an exciting prospect.

As you say a highlights package is just that, but he looked like he has very good "swerveability" ;) , excellent left boot and capable on his right foot.

Seems very outside and offensive. Seems to get to every contest but doesn't win his own ball. Very neat and economical style. Seems quite physically developed vs others his age. Not a Daniel Kerr type IMHO, more smaller NDS.

"Malcolm went to boarding school in Adelaide and started the year fantastically well despite some issues getting around and meeting all his commitments"

I think Garlett made it pretty clear he did not want to be at West Coast. IMO it would have ended in tears.

I think Garlett made it pretty clear he did not want to be at West Coast. IMO it would have ended in tears.

Since when do undrafted kids get to pick and choose what club they want to play for? In the write up on Karpany, it sounds like he has strong injury concerns and a questionable character. Garlett was supposedly a top 10 pick based on talent alone.... So we should of picked him!

Garlett's issues were a lot greater than having issues "meeting all his commitments".

Yea but kerr is exceptionally strong for his size which allowed him to play that midfield role. Even still Kerr has taken a beating and as a result we have missed a lot of good footy from him. And when Kerr started his career the size of mids in general was smaller than it is now. I think Karpeny's size restricts him to an outside mid.
Also Kerr had very good vision, evasiveness and a turn of pace. I'm not saying that Karpeny doesn't have these though, hope he does!
Don't think he will be Kerr like if he hasn't got the handball

Since when do undrafted kids get to pick and choose what club they want to play for? In the write up on Karpany, it sounds like he has strong injury concerns and a questionable character. Garlett was supposedly a top 10 pick based on talent alone.... So we should of picked him!
Yet he was only picked at 38 after being overlooked last year - by 18 teams!

If a top 10 talent both years slips to such an extent, you don't think there is serious issues? Even more so if he doesn't want to be at your club like Garlett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

meeting commitments from a boarding school would be full of issues unlike the freedom of living at home with mum or dad driving him all around town ..

Yet he was only picked at 38 after being overlooked last year - by 18 teams!

If a top 10 talent both years slips to such an extent, you don't think there is serious issues? Even more so if he doesn't want to be at your club like Garlett.

Obviously , that is why he was rated as a top 10 pick on TALENT ALONE. All im saying is Karpanys write up suggests he has strong injury concerns and questionable behavior issues. Although these issues seem rather minor they are not very elaborate or as heavily publicised as Garlett's issues. Whats the bet Garlett goes on to be a star and Karpany is delisted within 4 years. Sounding like the harbinger of doom , I would love to be proved wrong.

Some are saying kerr like, Karpany won't play on ball at AFL level imo. I think of him as a stokes, motlop type. I think we drafting him as a small forward/flanker. At most he will rotate midfield.
I don't think people are suggesting he'll play like Kerr but rather he moves a lot like Kerr.

I believe he's our first ever Malcolm. About bloody time I say.
Hopefully he'll be *puts on glasses* thrown into the middle...

Woodville West-Torrens talent manager Shane Grimm on Karpany...
Malcolm went to boarding school in Adelaide and started the year fantastically well.... Heā€™s just a natural footballer with great lateral movement, the best Iā€™ve seen, and he rarely gets caught. Can run as fast sideways as he can forward and heā€™s quite a good mark for a player of his size. Heā€™s also started developing a midfield inside game to complement his outside qualities. Enormous upside.ā€ .....

Cant wait to see him run sideways as fast he can run forward .. wonder how fast he is backwards

meeting commitments from a boarding school would be full of issues unlike the freedom of living at home with mum or dad driving him all around town ..

i would be inclined to believe that commitment issues are directly related to getting in and out of boarding school/meeting both school and club requirements. You cant just go out with anyone who picks you up from the boarding house - if its not your parents you need written permission/approval of duty master/all that jazz.

I was in the same year/classes as a certain ex hawk now swan back in the day, and I remember he would play 1st XVIII in the morning and then jump in a car and straight out to wherever Perth were playing. If you are on any sort of bursary, you are expected to fulfil school commitments first and foremost, no questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to West Coast pick 31 - Malcolm Karpany

Remove this Banner Ad

Back