West Coast Eagles Are they really that Good ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. I thought there must have been something special happen like a lunar eclipse or moon landing. Cheers.
Well, if you're looking for an event like that, you'd have to go back to January 24, 2002.

On that day, a mysterious spacecraft fell from the sky and landed in a West Perth paddock.

Quinten Lynch emerged and began his Earth-life as an AFL footballer.

I think most of the realistic WCE supporters on here have admitted / taken on board that the Eagles 2006 premiership side does have it's weaknesses.

When people comment on a thread like this about 'are the Eagles as good as they think they are', I think the arrogance perceived in WCE supporters is confusing some supporters claims of a dynasty with claiming we are one of the best of all time.

I have said before in a few different threads that I believe talk of dynasties is dangerous business, as Essendon could tell you all about after their 2000 team. If any side had dynasty written all over it, that was them...then sure enough the same team did win the next three, but not Essendon.

That said, it's probably fair enough that the Eagles supporters would go into next year confident and viewing themselves as amongst the premiership favourites. We won in 06, and barring significant loss of form or injury at this stage there are only about 5 other sides that can realistically put it together in 07 in such a way to challenge for a flag.

Does that mean I compare the WCE outfit of 06 to the 'best of all time'?. Not at all. I think even our own premiership squad of 92 & 94 was more rounded. The midfield of 06 would have to be one of the best ever assembled, but best side of all time...not yet by a long shot.

I believe they were worthy premiers, they have had a couple of years there or thereabouts and made two successive GFs. Not like they were a lucky team who scraped into the finals, won a couple of close ones and ran up against a team full of injuries in GF day and jagged it.

The WCE did look downright ordinary at times in 06, memories of the amazing fightbacks against Geelong and Carlton are equalled by bad memories of how we came to be so far behind in the first place. But this side has never been a team to kick cricket scores (hence the amazement of their win over Adelaide late in the season) and you always get the feeling that the other team is in with a big show (even the game against Hawthorn this year was tighter than you might have expected). What many people do forget is that for all the talk about other teams injuries this year, WCE had Cox, Judd, Kerr and several others miss chunks of games. There alone is 3 out of the 4 that make up the 'possible best midfield ever' group and it was while they were out that they played some of their worst football.

Very true.

In fact, if you look at 2006 overall, Adelaide were the best team by so far, it is almost insulting to put West Coast, Sydney and Freo in the same breath as them. Until the injuries, we were looking at one of the all-time great seasons from a team, ever.

Very few teams have dominated a season like Adelaide in 2006 until they were f****d by injuries. And make no mistake, they were absolutely voilated by injures like no team in their position has ever been. They were so good, that no other team really came close to them. They were just a mile in front of everyone else.

It's just a pity from their point of view, that when you look at the GF winner (West Coast) no one will remember or judge them (Adelaide) to be the best, except the intelligent fans who remember and analysed the season. Oh well, I don't feel sorry for them. I hate Adelaide, lol. They can suffer.
You're an idiot. Eagles were the top team of 2006 period.

The essendon side of 2000, the lions team of 2001-2004 and the Port Adelaide line up of 2002-2004 would all be far superior to the current Sydney and west coast teams IMO.

The essendon side of 2000, the lions team of 2001-2004 and the Port Adelaide line up of 2002-2004 would all be far superior to the current Sydney and west coast teams IMO.

How could you say that when West Coast and Sydney regularly beat Brisbane both home and away and Sydney 2003 beat port in a final at AAMI.

Sydney just lacked the finals experience to beat Brisbane in the prelim, and WC weren't good enough to advance past stage one of the finals. But if they were good enough to beat Brisbane and Port THEN when they were at the peak of their powers....then they would probably beat them now.

Footy has changed alot in the last few years...

How could you say that when West Coast and Sydney regularly beat Brisbane both home and away and Sydney 2003 beat port in a final at AAMI.

Sydney just lacked the finals experience to beat Brisbane in the prelim, and WC weren't good enough to advance past stage one of the finals. But if they were good enough to beat Brisbane and Port THEN when they were at the peak of their powers....then they would probably beat them now.
This is nonsensical.

WC had the wood on Brisbane, even when they were dominant. Sydney also had some good results.

That doesn't mean WC and Sydney were better then.

It doesn't mean the current WC and Sydney teams are better now.

Brisbane were the greatest side of the modern era, with the 80s Hawks just behind.

To suggest the current WC and Sydney sides have surpassed that Brisbane team is laughable. That those clubs had good results against Brisbane during their Golden Era is neither here nor there.

Firstly, I'm not trying to bash the Eagles because I am a Dockers Supporter.:D

But really...... They LOST quite a few quarters of Football for the Home and Away Season last year(2006)..Some against bottom eight sides..

The Kangaroos, Geelong, Carlton(at Subi) Hawthorn even Essendon come to mind where the Eagles looked the losers but came in the last quarter... through individual performances....
Not to mention the Hiding they got from Freo..and Collingwood.:)

I Predict that with the GF win, they will have a little of the big head syndrome or the let the other team mate do it..and finish OUT OF THE TOP FOUR for the 2007 Season...

I Honestly think their 2005 Performance as a Team was better that their 2006 Performance..

but I guess it comes down to when you win not how you win.. Its all in the Timing...:rolleyes:

oh really you're surely not trying to bash us. oooo. how does it feel to be the last team to be thrashed AT subiaco. WCE hasnt been thrashed at Subiaco since 2001. :p back to the thread a team that gets back from deficits in my view a far stronger team than one that thrashes tonnes of teams week in week out. How many times did the Eagles came behind over the year and yes it was quite a few but it paid us dividends in the preliminary final which nearly created a civil war in Adelaide. WCE were the best Team throughout the season as they were the most consistent (their slump midway wasnt too bad compared to adelaides horrible fall at the end and sydneys and freos nightmare start of the season.)

Since R14, 2004, WC have gone 47-14.

It's not like they just jumped up in 2006 and pinched a flag.

You can talk up Adelaide because they were dominant for parts of 2006, but WC have been better-performed over the last 2-3 and have Adelaide covered during that period.

WC aren't one of the all-time great sides. Who's saying they are? Seems strange to rebut an argument nobody has actually made.

WC have been the best-performed side over the last 2-and-a-half seasons, and now have a flag to show for it.

On paper, they're as good as any side in the league, and they should continue to improve.

That's how good WC are.

It's stupid to mount an argument that "WC aren't one of the all-time great sides", when no-one has actually made that claim to begin with.

What's next? Is someone going to start a thread revealing that Rowan Jones isn't actually a superstar of the game?

Common technique known as the 'straw man', whereby if your opponents argument is to strong, you attack a similar, weaker argument that your opponent did not make. To make Eagles supporters look a bit stupid, claim that they claim that a team that was thirty seconds away from blowing a flag is 'the greatest of all time'. Having ventured to the gabba regularly to watch the lions systematically dismantle teams a few years ago, I know the Eagles are a bit of that mark atm.

We aren't the greatest ever. Yet ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your enthusiasm and would like to think that's true, but I believe the Brisbane triple premiership side should have that mantle, sustained brilliance over three consecutive years I think wins it.

Agreed. But it's interesting how the WCE were able to consistently dismantle the Lions at the Gabba and at Subi during that period of sustained briliance.

Common technique known as the 'straw man', whereby if your opponents argument is to strong, you attack a similar, weaker argument that your opponent did not make. To make Eagles supporters look a bit stupid, claim that they claim that a team that was thirty seconds away from blowing a flag is 'the greatest of all time'. Having ventured to the gabba regularly to watch the lions systematically dismantle teams a few years ago, I know the Eagles are a bit of that mark atm.

We aren't the greatest ever. Yet ;)
LOL

The very next post proves that Weagles fans do indeed make unrealistic boasts about their team.

By the way, attacking a similar argument in that manner is more like a hypothetical syllogism than a straw man argument.

LOL

The very next post proves that Weagles fans do indeed make unrealistic boasts about their team.

By the way, attacking a similar argument in that manner is more like a hypothetical syllogism than a straw man argument.

Ohh, sort of like dockers fans claiming that because they won their first final in '06 they are genuine premiership contenders in '07. :cool:

Atleast the Eagles have form to back their claims. :p

Ohh, sort of like dockers fans claiming that because they won their first final in '06 they are genuine premiership contenders in '07. :cool:

Atleast the Eagles have form to back their claims. :p
Finishing top four at the end of the finals series does make you a genuine premiership contender the next year, especially if your list is strengthened in the off-season.

It is not a claim, it is a fact that everyone on this site acknowledges.

Clutching at straws a bit aren't you?

Finishing top four at the end of the finals series does make you a genuine premiership contender the next year, especially if your list is strengthened in the off-season.

It is not a claim, it is a fact that everyone on this site acknowledges.

Clutching at straws a bit aren't you?

Put it into perspective, the dockers had a good half season in '06. Lost 2 finals and won one, that is all.

The jury is still out on the dockers in '07. Especially on the "strengthening the list in the off season". Tarrant AND Solomon ............... mmmmmmmm .............:rolleyes:

Tarrant AND Solomon, AND a fit Haselby, AND a fit Hadrill, AND a fit Longmuir.

Anyways back to the thread topic, the Weagles aren't as good as their fans think. Their role as Freo's favourite bitch will continue in 07. Their "dynasty" consists of 1 flag and it will remain that way.

Next question.

Anyways back to the thread topic, the Weagles aren't as good as their fans think. Their role as Freo's favourite bitch will continue in 07. Their "dynasty" consists of 1 flag and it will remain that way.

Next question.
Yeah I have a question: How good do our fans think we are?

Roundhouse;]Tarrant AND Solomon, AND a fit Haselby, AND a fit Hadrill, AND a fit Longmuir.

And all of those players have a few thing in common

Their best Football was at least a couple of years a go.

A bit like Hamill, Ottens and Hay

At least we have a chance of a Dynasty.

Trading away 5 of your top 9 draft selections including 2 of your first rounders in the last 3 years kind of makes it difficult to have any sustained success.

BTW

There is not much point making bitchy comments to Eagles fans about the result of the Derbies

They pale into insignicance compared to winning the premiership

Next question.

And blah, blah, blah and more blah...............

Wow, you're right your team of fully fit superstars will be way too good for all the other teams. It's amazing how you've predicted that none of the above mentioned players will get injured this year. :p

Another docker that has eyes on the main prize, winning derbies that is. BTW, what was the highlight of your year, making the prelim or beating the Eagles?? :rolleyes:

But the Eagles have played in the last 2 GF's, so I put to you that the Eagles ARE as good as their fans think (we have the "runs on the board"). It's the dockers who aren't as good as THEIR fans think. Nothing to crow about, yet the ones that are crowing the loudest.

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles Are they really that Good ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back