West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

The only assistance I really care about getting is being able to match a bid on Livingstone inside the top 40, like other clubs can do.

All clubs should be able to do this anyway, not just the Northern academy clubs.
I'd love to be able to match on Sanders or McKercher.

I'd also love to be able to draft Walter at pick 2, and WC might even at pick 1, but GC have the rights to him because of academies.

I'd love to be able to match on Sanders or McKercher.

I'd also love to be able to draft Walter at pick 2, and WC might even at pick 1, but GC have the rights to him because of academies.
Well, either have academies, or don't.

The AFL should be running/funding them anyway, not the clubs. There's no incentive for clubs to produce A grade talent from these academies if they get no access to them.

Because you won a flag 5 years ago, and threw the kitchen sink at another one, which put you in this mess.

No one to blame but yourselves, suck it up.

The kitchen sink being 2 late 1st, 2 2nds with 2 3rds going to the Eagles with Kelly.

Go look who got drafted around those picks. Not alot there and nothing that would have influenced where the list is at now.

Over that period how many father sons have Collingwood picked up? How many players happy to be traded to Victoria and a big club? How many playing in the best 22?

How many top Vic Metro kids come out and interveiw badly when asked about interstate moves.

So just maybe some clubs every now and again may need assistance to even the ledger of player movement and preferences where they play. Its not like other clubs havent been assisted and continue to be with academy access others dont have.

Last edited:
How is the Eagles list mess any different to the mess North and Carlton ended up with? Why is that considered different circumstances?

North received 2 assistance picks last year, a second rounder and a third rounder on the proviso they had to trade them for at least one player. They then traded them to Fremantle for Logue and Tucker.
I agree. I think WCE deserve either a priority pick OR like NM some picks that they must trade to other clubs for established players.
Absolutely listless performances week after week. 108 point loss to Carlton is not even in the top 3 for the year.
Would have won a flag before 1992 if we had the likes of Buckenarra, Winmar, Bewick and others running around in the blue and gold.
That doesn't make it right though does it. Think the AFL learned its lesson from you and gave subsequent new clubs far far less on startup.

Well yes, priority picks only came into play in 1993 and we didn't take our first one until 2001.

So we went from 1987-2001 without having one on our list
derp

Bonus round, 2008 too in between when Judd left and Shuey was drafted.
You did a lot of comparing to North.
North's first/only priority pick was 2022 - and they had to trade it.

West Coast don't deserve anything at this stage.

I'll say the same thing that I said last year with North. No, don't reward terrible list management with an extra pick. I don't care if it's the club I support or not.
That's a fair enough point of view and I think most would agree the rationale for having a priority pick system is questionable. But so long as the AFL maintains provision for giving them we're going to have these arguments every year because once your list falls to a certain level of crappness it's now extremely hard to get out of the gutter. With 18 clubs in the draft, picks 1, 19,37, themselves often further devalued by father/son and academy selections ,may not cut it , particularly if there isn't a standout No1 or if he is from another state and just quietly lets it be known he don't want to move out of home.. So a bad club is likely to stay on the canvas long term and then be saying, well if you have a P/P system in place, surely we qualify.
The argument ' well its all their own fault for rubbish list management ' is a strange one to me, insofar as any club which is a long term basket case. has almost certainly contributed to their poor situation by maladministration of their playing list. If that should disqualify you, who would be left eligible .
While the rigid rules that led to 3 clubs all receiving a P/P in 2005 were obviously flawed, surely the AFL should have some transparent guidelines re allocating priority picks. Some discretion is OK, but fairness surely requires discretion be exercised within defined relevant considerations.

What the * are you even talking about? The soft cap was introduced in 2015, for the start of the season.

The zone defence was introduced because our 2 main key defenders at the time, McKenzie and Brown, both did an ACL right at the start of the season. What 'billion' assistants did WCE have that other clubs didn't, considering WCE also had to work within the soft cap?

The soft cap wasn't brought in simply to cull the expenses big clubs were spending to train and get even a 1% advantage over the competition, it was so basket cases such as North/St Kilda stopped being the gigantic drain on the rest of the competition they pretty much always have been, because they have had inept management for such a long time that they've been nothing but a financial burden on the competition for ages. Why should the majority of clubs be punished because of a few irresponsible clubs continually cycling coaches and paying them out, being in debt yet having a publicly announced 'war chest' to lure players, then getting the wrong players and sending them to the VFL on said contracts, etc?

Basket case clubs who make disastrous off-field decisions shouldn't be given PPs whatsoever, including WCE, yet all we seem to hear every year is how North plan to approach the AFL for more handouts. It's ridiculous. If the club is so inept that it can't be managed properly and have to go begging cap in hand every year in an attempt to remain competitive, then they offer little to no value to the competition as a whole.

At the very least, North appear to have turned it around off-field, as far as financials go. That's a start. PPs should only be given in consideration of other off-field measures that clubs begging for them adhere to and not a few years of poor results.

All the PPs in the world won't turn a shitshow into a competitive side, it just dilutes the integrity of the competition even further.

Again, show me an article where WCE have asked for a priority pick. I'll wait.
I remember those 2 ACL injuries too.

One eagles tall defender did their ACL in preseason training. The other did it in round 1

Priority picks shouldn’t exist in any form.

Also, any west coast fan crying poor needs to have a reality check. We’ve 100,000 members and one of the richest clubs in the comp. We won’t be down for long, we never are.

We can’t get relegated. We won’t go bankrupt. Honestly it’s all a bit laughable how much of a fuss is being made. We had some s**t list management over 2-3 years and then injuries railed us. s**t happens.
We can debate about priority picks all we want.

Hand west coast an early 2nd rounder like pick 20. Will it improve the eagles in 2 seasons? Unlikely.

Will it improve the eagles in 4-5 seasons? Yes to a degree.

But your post about eagles won't be down for long...

This eagles rebuild won't be a simple 2-3 year rebuild like the eagles went through in 2008-10.

This is 4 or 5 years minimum.

There's 18 sides in the comp. There's only 8 finals spots.

Eagles didn't make finals in 2021... Yeah they got 9th but whatever. 17th in 2022 and looks like bottom with one or 2 wins in 2023.

I'll say the same thing that I said last year with North. No, don't reward terrible list management with an extra pick. I don't care if it's the club I support or not.
Oh I agree.

I didn't mind the dockers 2016-21 rebuild.

Yeah Freo were 0-10 and 4-18 and crippled with injury in 2016.

Don't get me wrong, Fremantles 2016-21 rebuild was flawed but we got back up to finals again.

Saying that, I was proud we didn't get priority picks.

I'm not buying it. Reminds me of 2007 to 2011 where they managed to bottom out (3rd, 15th,11th, last, 4th) then bounce back rapidly.

For a club with 2 flags in the past 20 years, with their resources, membership etc the most important thing is that AFL don't get suckered into dishing them out a priority pick. They'll find their own way back up the ladder quite comfortably.

Teams being able to trade out players without their approval would do wonders for the Eagles right now.

If nothing else it would a great stick to pull their finger out, unload a few of those contracts and refresh as much as half the list in one go.

**** the club and their fans. The mere mention of them deserving a priority pick of any type is perplexing!

Close this thread down for at least another 5 years!

Question: Where were you when 171 happened?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If North don’t deserve one then WC don’t.
But WC list is in more trouble than Norths.

They have absolutely decimated themselves after winning the flag five years ago.

The kitchen sink being 2 late 1st, 2 2nds with 2 3rds going to the Eagles with Kelly.

Go look who got drafted around those picks. Not alot there and nothing that would have influenced where the list is at now.

Over that period how many father sons have Collingwood picked up? How many players happy to be traded to Victoria and a big club? How many playing in the best 22?

How many top Vic Metro kids come out and interveiw badly when asked about interstate moves.

So just maybe some clubs every now and again may need assistance to even the ledger of player movement and preferences where they play. Its not like other clubs havent beed assisted and continue to be with academy access others dont have.
The exact picks of the Kelly trade haven’t turned out but that was 4 picks that WC never took.

If you chose correctly, you could have had Sam De Koning, Chad Warner, Max Holmes & Errol Gulden.

They would go a long way to making you better, although I’m not sure you know how to develop players anymore going off recent history. They might have not turned out anyway.

I'm not buying it. Reminds me of 2007 to 2011 where they managed to bottom out (3rd, 15th,11th, last, 4th) then bounce back rapidly.

For a club with 2 flags in the past 20 years, with their resources, membership etc the most important thing is that AFL don't get suckered into dishing them out a priority pick. They'll find their own way back up the ladder quite comfortably.
just like their players, their membership is ageing too

I think and would prefer a increase in our soft cap allowance so we can pay Simmo and co to leave outside the cap

Its a dumb rule to have anyway we should be able to pay people to leave as we wish

You can pay them out anyway. You just have to pay a tax to exceed the soft cap.

We keep hearing how wealthy the eagles are I’m sure they can stump up.

Laughable to think this would even be considered in the next 2-3 years. Perhaps even longer. They won a bloody flag 5 years ago.

Why exactly would they qualify? You don’t just get one for being shit. Have their young players been raided? Have they been exclusively affected by circumstances outside their control?

Their injury list also hampers, rather than assists, any support for one. If they had all their players fit and available they wouldn’t be as bad as they are.

Laughable to think this would even be considered in the next 2-3 years. Perhaps even longer. They won a bloody flag 5 years ago.

Why exactly would they qualify? You don’t just get one for being s**t. Have their young players been raided? Have they been exclusively affected by circumstances outside their control?

Their injury list also hampers, rather than assists, any support for one. If they had all their players fit and available they wouldn’t be as bad as they are.

I always find the whole “they won x, y years ago” arguement. That has no relevance to position you are in today. You either need help to turn over your list, or you don’t. Priority pick isn’t there to help you win a premiership. It’s to get you being more competitive quicker.

Now whether injuries are short term thing is a discussion point regarding priority pick. But when you win last a premiership isn’t really as it has no relevance to current position you are in.

Booooooo

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back