Preview West Coast vs Essendon - Subiaco - 27/06/13

West Coast vs Essendon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

West Coast: They put in a very competitive effort against Hawthorn, with Kennedy firing on all cylinders in the forward 50, but on the same token Hawthorn's defensive pressure was at it's lowest point since the start of 2012. The Eagles also were shocking defensively, there were wide open spaces for the Hawthorn forwards to run into, and as such Jarryd Roughead kicked 5, as did Jack Gunston

Essendon: Put in a clinical performance against Gold Coast and did what they needed to do. Brendan Goddard starred for the bombers, and Father-Son recruit Joe Daniher showed Essendon fans what the future was like with his body work, marking the football at it's highest point and kicking 3 goals

Previous encounters: Essendon 2-3 West Coast

Past 5 matches

Essendon: 3 W, 2 L
West Coast: 3 W, 2 L

sportsbet odds <will insert when available>

West Coast: $1.93
Essendon: $1.80

Possible sides

Essendon vs West Coast

B: Hooker - Carlisle - Baguley
F: Naitanui - Kennedy - LeCras
HB: Winderlich - Hurley - Hibberd
HF: Cripps - Darling - Masten
C: Stanton - Watson - Heppell
C: Shuey - S Selwood - Rosa
HF: Zaharakis - Ryder - Crameri
HB: Waters - MacKenzie - Sheppard
F: Merrett - Daniher - Dell'Olio
B: Glass - Brown - Wilson
R: Bellchambers - Hocking - Goddard
R: Cox - Priddis - Kerr
I: Howlett - Myers - Melksham
I: Gaff - Dalziell - Brennan
S: Dempsey
S: Hutchings

Essendon forward line vs West Coast defence defence

Essendon's forward line finally found some function against Gold Coast with Stewart Crameri working up onto the wings and burning his opponents on the way back, Hurley leading from 30 out before injuring his wrist again. He'll probably be replaced by ruckman Tom Bellchambers/Paddy Ryder combination. Cory Dell'Olio looks likely for his first start for the year after two disappointing games by Alwyn Davey. West Coast's defence has been known to leak goals, but are excellent at creating chances out of defence with Schofield, Hurn and Waters all very good users out of defence.

midfield battle (rucks included)

Big battle in here, West Coast have been poor in the middle all year and look slow through there with Kerr losing his pace, Gaff being tagged out of games and they just need some speed through there. Essendon's midfield is looking ominous with Watson hitting form again, as well as Goddard, Stanton, Zaharakis and Myers starting to look very dangerous for the dons. The ruck battle will also be fantastic to watch, Naitanui and Ryder the athletic freaks they are, plus Bellchambers and Cox going head to head will be interesting

West Coast forward line vs Essendon defence

West Coast have one of the best forward line's in the AFL if you look at the teamsheet. JJ Kennedy is 2nd in the Coleman, LeCras can kick 50+ in a year, Hill is as talented as they come and Jack Darling is a super player. Essendon's defence however, is also very strong. Hibberd and Carlisle look likely candidates for being All Australian's, squad members at least, Hooker plays well on the 2nd key forward, Fletcher is, well, Fletcher and Baguley has been important this season

X-Factor player

Brad Sheppard is the X-Factor this week, he was a high draft pick and undoubtedly has talent, he can run all day, has a good leg on him and could possibly break the game open when he's on. He is one of the younger brigade of the Eagles that needs to step up for this proud club

Key stats for each side

Essendon:

• Marks I50. Essendon need to fix this area, for the amount of inside 50's they have they don't convert enough
  • Tackles. Essendon's pressure has gone down a notch for the past few weeks and they need to fix that up
West Coast:

• Marks Inside 50. When a side has Darling, Kennedy and either Cox or Naitanui in the forward line you expect to see a lot of marks taken
  • Clearances. West Coast are good at clearing the ball from the stoppages and will want to maintain that dominance
My tip

West Coast are in poor form, and Essendon in some very good form, as well as the bye against the 6 day break so Essendon by 33

In: Fletch Dempsey Belly Dell
Out: Pears Davey Merrett Hurley (inj)

Pears unlucky but with West Coast forward line we need Fletch back there.
Belly has to play. Just has to.
Dell deserves promotion especially if plays well tomorrow in VFL tomorrow.
Colyer might get a recall? His pace on subiaco could be handy

In: Dempsey, Fletcher
Out: Melksham, Pears

Have used ladder predictor, this is what I've come up with:

1. Hawthorn
2. Sydney
3. Fremantle
4. Essendon
5. Geelong
6. Richmond
7. Collingwood
8. Gold Coast

Unfortuantly, we play Hawks in first round of finals. If we loose, we play Geelong. We're boned, lets just own West Coast

I would love to keep daniher in the team but he will most likely make way and hopefully dempsey is right to go:

In: Dempsey, Bellchambers, Fletcher
Out: Merett, Daniher, Pears
full strength team

Keep Daniher

Was a planned move to get him games and allow the two week recovery with the bye.

I'd keep Merret as well. Not much more you can do as a sub. Had same amount of possessions as Davey had in a third of the time.

We could possibly play Pears + Fletcher in defense.

Carlisle - Kennedy
Pears - Darling
Fletcher - LeCras
Hooker Cox/NicNat

If Dempsey comes back in would it be to our advantage to play with 3 rebounding defenders in Hibberd, Dempsey and Winderlich? It'd be pretty hard to keep all three of them quiet but it could muck up our structures a bit I guess.

If Dempsey comes back in would it be to our advantage to play with 3 rebounding defenders in Hibberd, Dempsey and Winderlich? It'd be pretty hard to keep all three of them quiet but it could muck up our structures a bit I guess.

Licha can push into the midfield, and Dempsey would be a good sub IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast are in poor form, and Essendon in some very good form, as well as the bye against the 6 day break so Essendon by 33

Don't think so. Eagles have won 4 of their last 5 so hardly "poor form".

We haven't beaten the Eagles in Perth since Round 21, 2001 either. Even at their lowest point they still managed to beat us over there... they definitely lift for Essendon.

Important game that if we drop we will back in the pack.

IN: Dempsey Fletcher, Dell'Olio, Bellchambers
OUT: Hurley, Davey, Baguley, Kommer

FB: Pears Fletcher Hooker
HB: Hibberd Carlisle Dempsey
C: Goddard Stanton Heppell
HF: Winderlich Daniher Zaharakis
FF: Dell'Olio Bellchambers Crameri

R: Watson Hocking Ryder

Bench: Melksham Howlett Merrett (Colyer)

E: Hurley, Davey, Kavanagh

Tough team to pick given the lack of injured players. I reckon having Ryder to do the bulk of the rucking and Belch up forward is the best way of managing those two, Ryder is a dynamic forward at his best but he falls asleep if he's out of the game for too long. Baguley loses his spot to Fletcher, which I don't really like but I think getting games into Pears is a priority because he is a required player post-Fletcher IMO.

Don't think so. Eagles have won 4 of their last 5 so hardly "poor form".

We haven't beaten the Eagles in Perth since Round 21, 2001 either. Even at their lowest point they still managed to beat us over there... they definitely lift for Essendon.

Important game that if we drop we will back in the pack.

Scraping over the line against the saints, losing to Richmond. Yeah, they're in poor form

So who do you drop for Fletcher?

Not Carsile, not Hooker...
Hmmm, seems your back at Pears.
Baguley. Or move Carlisle forward. Can't drop Pears after last night. If we do, it's a clear indication that his time at Essendon is up.

FWIW, my changes at this stage...

In: Bellchambers, Fletcher, Dempsey (if he is good to go)
Out: Daniher, Davey, Baguley (unless Dempsey doesn't play)

Team....
FB: Hibberd Carlisle Fletcher
HB: Pears Hooker Dempsey
C: Stanton Watson Myers
HF: Crameri Hurley Goddard
FF: Kommer Ryder Winderlich
R: Bellchambers Hocking Howlett

Bench: Heppell Melksham Merrett Zaharakis

Baguley. Or move Carlisle forward. Can't drop Pears after last night. If we do, it's a clear indication that his time at Essendon is up.

Drop Baguley after his season? No way jose. He's beaten Callinan, Davey, Ballantyne, Milera, Elliott, Devon Smith, Christenson, King and Garlett. 1 good game compared to 12?

Drop Baguley after his season? No way jose. He's beaten Callinan, Davey, Ballantyne, Milera, Elliott, Devon Smith, Christenson, King and Garlett. 1 good game compared to 12?
I agree that Baguley has been good, very good in fact. However given the choice between Baguley and Pears, I'd choose Pears. Pears has better disposal, can play on a tall or 3rd man up if need be, and is younger. I see him having a bigger part in our future than Baguley.

Ideally we would play both, but I just don't see them fitting in, unless Carlisle goes forward (which might happen if Hurley is out).

Do we have a VFL game between now and the WCE game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back