Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

At the moment a huge load of WBFL players moving to the MSEFL the exodus continues!
Interesting to see Carl Slape transferring from East to South!

This will sound strange but it's probably an overall good thing for a south east comp getting up in a year or two, the 5 remaining WBFL clubs need to shed a bit to make sure the competition going forward will be even, it's the only way I see it working out. Divisions won't work it has to be geographically based and it has to be relatively fair.

That is one of the models that is floating around. The real issue is the strength of the various clubs and the need to get the mix right first time as they don't want to have to do it again anytime soon. One theory I heard was that they were prepared to wait for a year or two to see what happens with the Mount Gambier and Millicent area clubs to see how numbers go. Administrators are loathe to kill off clubs but they would prefer that any mergers are done voluntarily. I think it's unlikely that all clubs will survive into the near future and there are some good geographic fits for some clubs such as the mallee / tatiara suggestion and a rebranded South East competition, but ultimately there has to be some symmetry, between all the clubs. From afar, North seem to have a major financial advantage over every other team and the region, you could imagine the carnage if they got merged into a MSEFL league. Not sure how you fix that easily.

How has the transition with Hamilton and Portland into the hampden league gone so far. Checking clearances there seems to be a lot of players joining the warrnambool and district. Has travel become a problem or are the district clubs cashed up

How has the transition with Hamilton and Portland into the hampden league gone so far. Checking clearances there seems to be a lot of players joining the warrnambool and district. Has travel become a problem or are the district clubs cashed up

District League clubs are slowly gutting the standard of the HFNL, some of the reported money is pretty outrageous - even if you divide it by half it's still big bickies. The most heavliy scrutinised game every year is the HFNL Reserves Grand Final and anyone showing anything usually gets picked off. Travel is not the problem, it's all $$$ related. HFNL is still much faster and better footy - there is no doubt - but the depth is no longer there - the reserves is pretty ordinary.

Both Hamilton & Portland have in effect swapped coaches, Jake Myles was originally appointed at Hamilton - removed before a game was played - is now coaching Portland and Jarrod Holt has gone from Portland to Hamilton, Portland have recruited a former Magarey Medallist so I think they'll be around the finals, not sure about Hamilton but their strategy was all about youth and they should be better this year.

It would be an interesting experiment if all money for playing footy was ceased for 1 year, just what would happen to some clubs. I'd suspect 20% would fold across the board.

The thing that has concerned me is that the WBFL was best positioned years ago to do something about football in this region now it has become a toothless tiger and is subject to the external winds to decide its destiny!
Run by fools?????

The thing that has concerned me is that the WBFL was best positioned years ago to do something about football in this region now it has become a toothless tiger and is subject to the external winds to decide its destiny!
Run by fools?????

They were certainly very ignorant and arrogant when Heywood and Hamilton Imps wanted out and rather than see the writing on the wall they shut their eyes and ears, hoping the VCFL would defend them and it would all go away. Hamilton Imps were so close to getting the green light to go a year earlier and everything may have been different, instead you have carnage and in time there will be no "major" league in that region, not that an incestuous 6 team comp is a major league as it stands now.

Geographically is the only way the region / leagues can be split.

They were certainly very ignorant and arrogant when Heywood and Hamilton Imps wanted out and rather than see the writing on the wall they shut their eyes and ears, hoping the VCFL would defend them and it would all go away. Hamilton Imps were so close to getting the green light to go a year earlier and everything may have been different, instead you have carnage and in time there will be no "major" league in that region, not that an incestuous 6 team comp is a major league as it stands now.

Geographically is the only way the region / leagues can be split.

How do you know imps we're nearly given the green light, and if they were why weren't they given the clearance. I know the sacfl and vcfl held discussions prior to the review about league alternatives simply because they released those conversations to the public

How do you know imps we're nearly given the green light, and if they were why weren't they given the clearance. I know the sacfl and vcfl held discussions prior to the review about league alternatives simply because they released those conversations to the public

Let's just say I had some involvement and was involved in a debrief that shed light on the decision to reject the proposal. If Imps had of challenged it in court (which they considered) they would have got the clearance. Imps philosophy was that if they went into the HFNL they needed a two year gap on any further new teams from the area beacause they didn't have the $$ that the others may have. The decision was very much line ball. The major reason they didn't get in was that the WBFL called for the review of the region as a stopgap measure to prevent Imps from leaving, oblivious to the reality that by calling for the review it would effectively blow up the WBFL, the VCFL told them this but they assumed they would be ok. History says they got it very very wrong.

Had the WBFL let Imps go things would be very different today and there is a fair chance that the WBFL would be an 8 team comp, not 6 - for how long it would have lasted - who knows, but by calling for the review they effectively shafted their own comp.

Let's just say I had some involvement and was involved in a debrief that shed light on the decision to reject the proposal. If Imps had of challenged it in court (which they considered) they would have got the clearance. Imps philosophy was that if they went into the HFNL they needed a two year gap on any further new teams from the area beacause they didn't have the $$ that the others may have. The decision was very much line ball. The major reason they didn't get in was that the WBFL called for the review of the region as a stopgap measure to prevent Imps from leaving, oblivious to the reality that by calling for the review it would effectively blow up the WBFL, the VCFL told them this but they assumed they would be ok. History says they got it very very wrong.

Had the WBFL let Imps go things would be very different today and there is a fair chance that the WBFL would be an 8 team comp, not 6 - for how long it would have lasted - who knows, but by calling for the review they effectively shafted their own comp.

What was sacfl's view in all this???

Wbfl has publicly stated they are interested for pt mac to join the league, pt mac accepted an invitation to compete in the preseason cup then the wbfl changed the date which clashes with round 1 in the mid se. Are the wbfl serious about attracting new clubs? What is going on here?

Things aren't looking so good for millicent this year, will struggle to get a senior side together and no reserves team.

It will not surprise me at all looking at the transfers coming out out of Millicent. Does not seem that they have picked up anyone of note.
It is hard to tell what the rest of the WB clubs will be like until season gets under way, but my guess is that more sting will have gone from this league. I have never missed watching the local footy here in fifty five years but i doubt whether i will even bother checking the scores in the paper this year that's how disinterested i am. May even go down to the MSEFL to watch a game or two.

Have heard millicent are still considering joining the mid se next year. Be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the wbfl if it goes ahead. The rest of the clubs may be absorbed into another league, don't think they will run a 5 team comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what its worth - 2012

SOUTHERN BORDER REVIEW FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS REPORT - SANFL
http://www.sanfl.com.au/files/_system/File/PDFs/2012/SB_REVIEW_FINAL_REPORT_for Release to Stakeholders.pdf

Yeah thats not the latest review, there was another one released last year but they seem fairly committed to the new mount club idea. I think the plan was to build up through junior footy but with most grades being moved to saturday it doesnt seem feasible. In comparison warrnambool i think has 11 based clubs to the mount 4.

from your previous posts you are very close to the heywood footy club lfb, can you tell us why so many players would want to walk out on the club and head to the minor league??

i watched MDSE last week and if WBFL is a minor league then i will go hey. worst game i have seen and umpiring is terrible. if WBFL can get rid of Heard then approach other teams like they have it will improve.

[e="iknowstuffall, post: 32507758, member: 118578"]i watched MDSE last week and if WBFL is a minor league then i will go hey. worst game i have seen and umpiring is terrible. if WBFL can get rid of Heard then approach other teams like they have it will improve.[/quote]

What's the problem with heard??? I've never met the guy!!!

i watched MDSE last week and if WBFL is a minor league then i will go hey. worst game i have seen and umpiring is terrible. if WBFL can get rid of Heard then approach other teams like they have it will improve.

I did not go to any football match i dont know about the standard of umpiring but the standard of football that produced these results would have not been worth watching. Let the league die imo
21.17-143 to 7.4-46
22.11-143 to 4.8-32

WOW !! West have really turned the WBFL season upside down with 2 huge come from behind wins .
Who would have thought they would be undefeated after the first round .Bring on the interleague comp where I
am sure the WBFL will set the record straight and smash the MSEFL.

well its time that both MDSE and WBFL get their heads out of their arse and do something. they need to look at merging bothe leagues and have a 2 divisions or merge teams together and have 1 comp. also need to help the juniors comp as well as all club will start to suffer and have no one coming thru.

well its time that both MDSE and WBFL get their heads out of their arse and do something. they need to look at merging bothe leagues and have a 2 divisions or merge teams together and have 1 comp. also need to help the juniors comp as well as all club will start to suffer and have no one coming thru.

What was the name of the last Cold Chisel Album? It was called - No Plans. That's it in a nutshell - the 4 Mount sides operate at a different level to the MSEFL & KTNFL sides. I am not sure anyone knows how to handicap them effectively enough. You are looking at mergers or in the case of the Mount clubs - de mergers. Very hard to get right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back