Western Border Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day all.

I'm a new member here and I thought it would be interesting to get everybody's 2007 ladder predictions??

Feel free to discuss where you're putting teams and why.

Cheers

G'day all.

I'm a new member here and I thought it would be interesting to get everybody's 2007 ladder predictions??

Feel free to discuss where you're putting teams and why.

Cheers

You're asking for some big calls from everyone esle this early on mate, with out putting up any yourself.
But I love a challenge, although I reserve the right to deny everything in six week's time.

Portland should not slip too far, although the depth may get a little more tested this year if they have injuries.
South should also be up around the mark with North, followed by Casterton and East Gambier.
Hamilton will push its way back up to either go very close to the finals or just scrape in, while West Gambier will slip down to seventh.
I don't really know enough about the other three to make a strong call on the order, but for argument's sake we'll say Imperials, followed by Heywood and finall Millicent.
Heywood and West Gambier are the two side's I'm least confident about with my predictions.
West's supposed decision to stop its import policy could be a master stroke, but it may also cause them short term pain.
Heywood has lost some key players where it didn't really have a lot of room to lose them, but the new coach may be just the thing to give a few blokes a reality slap in the face and get the best out of them.
One or two big forwards would make a huge difference to them too.
Does anyone know how North is travelling?

Fair call Battler, I'll have my prediction ladder finalised fairly soon as you're right, it is pretty early.

At this stage, and this could all completely change within days! I'd say Portland looks the team to beat. But I expect the Tigers won't be as strong this time around.
The second-tier sides of last season, like East, South and North, look likely to lose some ground this season also, so I'm looking for the teams which are on the up.

Expect Casterton to make some big steps. Securing Brent Howard is a coup, while Dylan Kent for a full season is a tantalising prospect.

Hamilton will be the big improvers. Obviously the 'Pies can't exactly go backwards, but there's a feeling around the club that's not dissimilar to 2004 when they won the flag.

Mark Watts is back - a 2004 premiership vice-captain - as coach. He could be a bit green, but he's what you'd have to call a natural leader.
Meanwhile, the club has been linked with numerous other players, including Damien Ferguson, a star in the 2004 premiership side.
Young big man Pat Sherlock - Joe Sherlock's brother - has also signed up for the black and white. He'll develop into somewhat of a gun.
And, just at this stage, Guy Sevior looks a handy pick up - from the Alberton FL.
Sevior began his career with Hamilton and, from what I recall, was a very polished utility.

Imperials has also signed up a few. Expect them to be around the mark.
The only question with Imps is: "Just how good are the youngsters they've been developing?"
Hamilton clearly has the best kids coming through of the two Hamilton-based sides, but Imps have given lots of youngsters plenty of game time which is sure to help them this year.

Heywood looks like a bottom of the ladder team just at this stage. It's rumoured they're losing a number of key players - and given it took the Lions so long to name a coach, you have to assume morale is at an all-time low.

Millicent should continue to improve. The Saints impressed me towards the end of last season and I'm glad Doug Lang was reappointed.

I tipped West Gambier to finish second at this time last year. Boy did that not come off!
The problem is West was doomed if it did and doomed if it didn't in terms of signing up those big Adelaide names.
In the end, most would agree, it had to fly them in on a weekly basis. It has installed a winning atmosphere at the club that the Demons hadn't seen for a number of years.
The signing of coach Brown could be seen as a risky one, sure, but it's not necessarily a bad one.
Providing West's players train together, I think they'll be somewhere around the mark.

Looking forward to a good season, I'll post a more accurate assessment on where I think teams will finish within a week - when a few more transfers start flowing through.

Cheers.

new to this chat forum, and a former western border player, can anyone tell me where james imbi is playing this year? fantastic player and would love to have him at my club.

new to this chat forum, and a former western border player, can anyone tell me where james imbi is playing this year? fantastic player and would love to have him at my club.
Portland i presume...unless heard otherwise !? has spent the last two off seasons up in Darwin w Palmerston in the ntfl.

Portland i presume...unless heard otherwise !? has spent the last two off seasons up in Darwin w Palmerston in the ntfl.

no, i haven't heard otherwise, but i wouldn't be surprised if he has had a lot of interest from other clubs. from what i'm hearing he will win his club's b and f in darwin and maybe come close to the league medal. portland are lucky to have him.

heard a rumour that josh ransom may be heading to heywood with his dad? would be a huge loss for east, how are they looking at this stage? i personally can't see many teams being close to portland, although they do have trouble against north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early odds for the flag

Portland $2.00
North Gambier $4.50
East Gambier $5.50
South Gambier $8
Casterton $15
Hamilton $25
West Gambier $100
Imperials $250
Heywood $300
Millicent $300

The odds on the bottom four may seem a little harsh, but I can't see them taking the flag this season, and aside from possibly West if a few things go right, I can't see them making the finals.
Portland has to be the early favourite. The gap between it and the rest of the field does not seem to have closed up much in the off season.

what has hamilton done so drastically from last season to have them placed close to the top 5? or is it the fact that other teams have lost so many players, ie. west gambier. heywood. looks like it may be a tough year again for those two teams.

what has hamilton done so drastically from last season to have them placed close to the top 5? or is it the fact that other teams have lost so many players, ie. west gambier. heywood. looks like it may be a tough year again for those two teams.
Maybe because they appointed one of there former premiership hero's from a few years back as their new coach for 07 and beyond...although it's still early to say where there at because they have'nt gone out and bought a side (still time !!) like they did when they won the flag.

Maybe because they appointed one of there former premiership hero's from a few years back as their new coach for 07 and beyond...although it's still early to say where there at because they have'nt gone out and bought a side (still time !!) like they did when they won the flag.
On heywood & west....unless Ransom brings a carload from the mount and a couple from darwin and use there juniors either way they'll bookend the sides outside the top 5.West is an interesting one.....No fly-ins apparently this year just play there kids and recruit a couple of experienced heads & tough c_nts from melbourne or victoria where Brown has good contacts, so far there losses are key ones compared to what they'v picked up.They'll either keep there finals spot from last yr or drop away !? But dont be surprised if they creep up on a few as Brown can get the best out of what he's got barring injuries of course.

if i recall correctly, most of the players from the 2004 side were local boys who had played in hamilton all through there junior years. i wouldn't call that buying a flag, unless you have other information then i would love to hear it.

if i recall correctly, most of the players from the 2004 side were local boys who had played in hamilton all through there junior years. i wouldn't call that buying a flag, unless you have other information then i would love to hear it.
Knowingly over half there side was made up of recriuts, the rest were experienced locals and there talented bunch of kids.

Knowingly over half there side was made up of recriuts, the rest were experienced locals and there talented bunch of kids.

you can't just say 'knowingly' without giving up names and who was on the big $$$, if you're going to make a call like saying they bought a premiership you need to give some proof of what you supposedly know. get back to me and i will let you know if you are right or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back