Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

SA born and bred, I can honestly say growing up in the 80’s was a very lonely time to be a Bulldog over here. I honestly did not know of any back then!

Compare that now, there were 3 in Auskick with my son and always kids in dogs colours when their are groups of footy kids in a group. No doubt due to years of stability, marketable players and a premiership. But I guess it does highlight that kids can be swayed and the benefits of Ballarat may not be fully evident for another 10 or so years. I think it’s worth pursuing seeing Melbourne is such a saturated market for teams already.

Okay folks .... Western Bulldogs supporters are the first to see these. Nothing like what I was expecting as previously said, but it seems to me to be more than 5000 extra seats. If they replace the lesser bright metal halide lights with LEDs and fill out the light towers with LEDs then it will easily become AFL standard. For my mind, a lot hinges on lighting improvement. I do like how they have worked the athletics track and new pavilions to compliment the existing stadium. The new stands definitely appear to be considerably higher than the existing stand and have more seating rows. Thoughts?

Double click on the images below to get the high resolution images:

MS2026.jpg

MS2026a.jpg

MS2026b.jpg

Last edited:
Great to have more stands in the plans. I’m surprised it’s not a continuation from the larger existing stand around the southern goal end to block some wind. With all these stands slightly separated wind still gets in. I was always apprehensive that toilet block was built too close. Love to see things happening though, being in the building game for 35 years I’m less confident in modern design wisdom generally.

The truth is that back in 2014 the Tasmanian Government weren't offering North Melbourne anything and assumed that North would continue playing in Tassie. That is until the re-development of Eureka Stadium came back into play during the 2014 Victorian State Election. At that stage North were still committed to Ballarat and its Reserves playing with North Ballarat FC in the VFL and had publicly expressed their desire and preference to play 3 senior H&A games per-season there if the Victorian government would sponsor the redevelopment of Eureka Stadium. At that time North were not prepared to re-commit to Tassie (pendinf a Vic Govt decision) and the Tasmanian government were getting very nervous about North Melbourne. North didn't finally commit to extending their contract in Hobart which was due to expire at the end of 2015 until the Victorian Government finally confirmed in early 2015 that they were sponsoring the Western Bulldogs to play in Ballarat. The Ballarat City Council didn't renew their $300,000 per-year sponsorship with North and that's when North Melbourne finally read the tea leaves that there was no future for them with Ballarat and they then committed to Hobart for four years at the time. So in truth it was forced upon them and not their preference. Let's keep the history behind this accurate. :thumbsu: ;)
Actually, in August 2014, the Kangaroos finalised a deal to play three matches per year during 2015-2016 with the Hobart Council after the month before TT-Line had agreed to continue their sponsorship for two years.

In April of that year, North's CEO Carl Dilena had said that the club hoped to achieve a long term deal at Blundstone. The AFL only wanted them to sign a two year deal so it would align with the end of Hawthorn's Tasmanian deal.

It was not until the end of October/start of November that the Dogs' partnership with the City of Ballarat and the then Labor Opposition was announced.

It's hardly surprising that Ballarat and Labor approached the Dogs given this history and I very much doubt that North were completely blindsided.

FWIW, I think there's a fair chance that North will join us in Ballarat for two matches per year post Hobart given the upgrades planned for the stadium. This probably wouldn't include branding sponsorship or funding for community programs but might have an attractive payment from government attached and be good for all parties: the two clubs, Ballarat and taxpayers.

I have mixed feelings about the location of the new stands. On one hand, wind will still be a big factor and seated spectators will be more looking into the sun (I expect we will only play day games there as its too cold and more difficult for day trippers from Melbourne at night). On the other hand, wing seating is much better for spectators and the club will be able to charge a more premium price.

On balance, I think it's the right spot.

Actually, in August 2014, the Kangaroos finalised a deal to play three matches per year during 2015-2016 with the Hobart Council after the month before TT-Line had agreed to continue their sponsorship for two years.

In April of that year, North's CEO Carl Dilena had said that the club hoped to achieve a long term deal at Blundstone. The AFL only wanted them to sign a two year deal so it would align with the end of Hawthorn's Tasmanian deal.

It was not until the end of October/start of November that the Dogs' partnership with the City of Ballarat and the then Labor Opposition was announced.

It's hardly surprising that Ballarat and Labor approached the Dogs given this history and I very much doubt that North were completely blindsided.

FWIW, I think there's a fair chance that North will join us in Ballarat for two matches per year post Hobart given the upgrades planned for the stadium. This probably wouldn't include branding sponsorship or funding for community programs but might have an attractive payment from government attached and be good for all parties: the two clubs, Ballarat and taxpayers.
It's all cool, IMO North were blind sided. I remember the message sent out to members from the club at the time. They were blind-sided. The senior management of the club were livid. But it's all now history. I have always been supportive of the Bulldogs having a go at Ballarat and have never said anything to the contrary. I hope that the Bulldogs do build a long-term strong relationship with not only Ballarat but also the greater Western Victoria and ultimately a better relationship with the GWV Rebels. :thumbsu:

Also taking away the hill will change the atmosphere up there. Hope they build up behind goals higher?
Looking at the artwork, it seems like that will broadly be the plan. If you look closely at the bottom right corner of each drawing there is a disclaimer, "Based on early schematic designs, subject to change". :)

So we can expect some things in the final delivery to be different but ultimately more practical for spectators. I think that there is a lot to like with this although I am still concerned about lighting upgrades and the winds. These stands would not effectively block winds that plague the ground. It's not going to be a GMHBA Stadium but it definitely will become one of Victoria's leading stadiums after the big three ... the "G", Marvel and GMHBA.

So we can expect some things in the final delivery to be different but ultimately more practical for spectators. I think that there is a lot to like with this although I am still concerned about lighting upgrades and the winds. These stands would not effectively block winds that plague the ground.

Trying to think creatively, maybe large advertising hoarding behind the goals might be a cost effective and partial solution to those nasty winds coming from the west.

It could be similar to those used at many of the old VFL grounds and could be used as part of the ground's naming right sponsorship to help recoup construction costs.

116881843_3104930329555545_3333390643285705718_n.jpg

Trying to think creatively, maybe large advertising hoarding behind the goals might be a cost effective and partial solution to those nasty winds coming from the west.

It could be similar to those used at many of the old VFL grounds and could be used as part of the ground's naming right sponsorship to help recoup construction costs.

View attachment 1956694
Or even just a denser planting of trees around that end of the ground must help. At least they don't look like demolishing the old scoreboard. At least the old can bar will get a reprieve 👍

One might hope that they give the Southern end similar treatment as they've given the Southern end of the VUWO. With a mixture of hard and grass standing areas. I do think that the lighting is also important because even if they don't schedule too many night fixtures, having a full lighting capability would certainly help to brighten the field and enhance viewing on heavily overcast days or when it rains.

It looks as if the concepts of the stands look like the final version, but for my mind the details will be in how they develop the Southern boundary, the pedestrian access zones, what amenities will be built under the new stands and any possible lighting improvements. If they get the details right, it could be really good.

Last edited:
It's all cool, IMO North were blind sided. I remember the message sent out to members from the club at the time. They were blind-sided. The senior management of the club were livid. But it's all now history. I have always been supportive of the Bulldogs having a go at Ballarat and have never said anything to the contrary. I hope that the Bulldogs do build a long-term strong relationship with not only Ballarat but also the greater Western Victoria and ultimately a better relationship with the GWV Rebels. :thumbsu:
I don't know the full story and could be wrong, but it always appeared to me like North were hedging their bets with eggs in both the Ballarat and Hobart baskets, which ended up costing them Ballarat since the Bulldogs were happy to go all in. That's not to say North weren't blindsided with the announcement.

Whatever the reason, Ballarat is clearly the stronger long term option following the Tassie team announcement. I do wonder what North are planning to make up for the eventual loss of games down there which must be a significant financial hit for a club which probably can't afford to absorb one of that size. Is there room for 2 teams to play in Ballarat, or is it exclusively Bulldogs? If not, where do they go?

I don't know the full story and could be wrong, but it always appeared to me like North were hedging their bets with eggs in both the Ballarat and Hobart baskets, which ended up costing them Ballarat since the Bulldogs were happy to go all in. That's not to say North weren't blindsided with the announcement.

Whatever the reason, Ballarat is clearly the stronger long term option following the Tassie team announcement. I do wonder what North are planning to make up for the eventual loss of games down there which must be a significant financial hit for a club which probably can't afford to absorb one of that size. Is there room for 2 teams to play in Ballarat, or is it exclusively Bulldogs? If not, where do they go?
What happens with North once Tassie gets up and running as a stand alone team is anybody's guess. A lot can change over the next four years. Time will reveal all. I'm reckoning that they might make a play for Bendigo in a similar way to Ballarat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I go to Ballarat to stand on the outer, as do thousands of others.
Replace that wing with seating and I guarantee that each seat will be charged at a higher price than GA entry, meaning people will be better off buying the farcical 2-game Ballarat membership.
I won’t be one of them. I’ll just stop going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back