Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

A great day out in the sun, reminiscent of the old AFL. The Perthites next to us were agog at being able to drink full strength beer, Kids and dad played kick to kick and picnics were had and it was a 10 minute walk to get to the car and we arrived late (Instead of trying to find the car in the slush of VFL park).

I was dead set against this 'Rat malarky until I tried it a few years ago and rarely miss a game there now and mix it up and make a full day. The kids you see playing kick to kick will be the ones buying tickets in a decade or two and this is important for us so we can rid ourselves of Sunday at 4:40pm at Marvel. It takes time to develop this - be patient grass hoppers.

The only gripe is giving security bar code readers that could read the bar code in the sun off your phone...
Attendant: "Can you increase the screen brightness?"
Us: "No, it's as bright as it goes"
Attendant: "Well I can't let you in unless you increase the brightness"

As an 11yr Ballarat region local after growing up in the western/North Western suburbs, my biggest gripe is that there was (yet again!) only 1 Record seller. And inside the ground at the main entrance only (again).
First year or 2 there was a few, then about 2019-ish I had to go looking, that's when the single seller started as others were sick/no-shows.
Then Covid, and ever since crowds have returned, they persist with one seller.
Because I knew in advance, I entered via the main entrance and grabbed one straight away.
Took my seat in the western stand and listened to 4 separate people complain about the lack of Record sellers. Managed to explain to 3 of them where to go, all 3 eventually returned with records. The 4th person was too far away, but I heard her still complaining about it in the 3rd quarter.
I know it's only a 10k stadium, but surely employing 2-3 and spreading them out wouldn't stretch the budget too much?

One game a year against a rotating cast of Gold Coast/Fremantle/West Coast would be good.

One game a year against a rotating cast of Gold Coast/Fremantle/West Coast would be good.

Contract is for 2. That's part of the City of Ballarat criteria. Freo and Eagles have decent Melbourne support, so unlikely to see them in Ballarat. 2 SA teams tend to have fans who drive across, so Ballarat works better by shortening their journey, and accomm/hospitality/etc money contributes to Ballarat economy.

Peter Gordon stated he'd like to see us play a Vic side in Ballarat. Unless it's a St Kilda or North, I can't see any other Vic club drawn to play us here (even though we have to play Hawks and previously Saints at their 'home' games in similar sized venues in Tassie). Melbourne supporters don't travel to Marvel, let alone Ballarat, can't see Cats playing here (even though we are forced to play at their dung heap virtually yearly).
Pies, Bombers, Tigers, Blues I doubt will ever even be considered to play here, even once the stadium is upgraded. We'd be costing ourselves significant $$$ moving home games against them from Marvel.

I bought my ticket late, and there was not that many seats to choose from on the website at all. Mainly just scattered single tickets. I was lucky to score a good one, as it appeared someone cancelled their ticket to my eventual seat, across the two days I was thinking back and forth whether to go.

If there is an issue with some seats not filling, it is because it costs $50 for a good seat, that is just a concession ticket. Not even the best seat. Imagine the standard price. It is probably a little expensive for some. The standing area is cheap as chips though.

Or maybe it is because Melbourne fans can't hack a couple hour trip, that country fans have to make every week to see their teams. I think just under 10k is good for a regional town, where fan bases are mixed across teams. It is not like Geelong where almost everyone is a Cat fan. Persist with the region, blood new Bulldog fans, and long term more will come in the gates.
Perhaps, next year if you think you will make it to both games consider the Ballarat add-on for your membership. It cost me $85 and I get a reserved seat for both games in the main grandstand plus a Ballarat beanie. It's pretty good value compared with reserved seating prices at Marvel and elsewhere and it should be cheaper than $85 if you have a concession.

The only gripe is giving security bar code readers that could read the bar code in the sun off your phone...
Attendant: "Can you increase the screen brightness?"
Attendant: "Well I can't let you in unless you increase the brightness"

Haha THIS! I was watching people in front of me, and I was like... "why not just ask people to hold their phones on an angle not facing the sun instead?

My battery would probably go from 99% to 1% when I turn the brightness on max.

Honestly, I think the girl who "scanned" mine, didn't actually scan it. Happened to quick, didn't line up scanner phone properly, no beep or anything. Felt like a case of "f it, just go inside" to me haha. Almost like those fake bag checkers at the door in places like Target. Scan your receipt to pretend they're doing something, but really it does nothing.

While the game was as much of a success as can be expected, one thought is that there doesn't really seem to be any inroads into genuine Ballarat-based Bulldogs supporters. The crowd seemed to be made up entirely by a small minority of Ballarat-based general footy supporters, and Bulldogs supporters driving in from outside Ballarat (whether that be Melbourne-based fans or fans taking a shorter trip than they otherwise would have to in Melbourne, or being country folk like the comfort of a country-style game).

While the game was as much of a success as can be expected, one thought is that there doesn't really seem to be any inroads into genuine Ballarat-based Bulldogs supporters. The crowd seemed to be made up entirely by a small minority of Ballarat-based general footy supporters, and Bulldogs supporters driving in from outside Ballarat (whether that be Melbourne-based fans or fans taking a shorter trip than they otherwise would have to in Melbourne, or being country folk like the comfort of a country-style game).
Unless the club takes the long term view this will never succeed. But when I see the local kids on the fence cheering Naughts, Cody and JUH and they will have stories about how they’ve witnessed Bont and Libba in their prime to friends and family. This is why this can work.

I’m have no interest in F1, but I see they erect plenty of extra grandstands for that event all around the circuit. We could do the same in Ballarat until they get some more permanent stands built. We would have to play on an alternate weekend though and then use some of their stands.
I have just spent the last 2 and half years working at Kardinia Park. That grandstand and stadium in general is great but bloated, over the top with air conditioning, offices, security, management, and especially the roof which delayed the project by a year and cost at least 70% of its overall cost which we estimate to be $50-80 million over budget. Just massive figures for a stadium that is 10,000 less capacity than it's record crowd (49,000 back in the day).
Within the new Joel Selwood stand there is a massive bank for standing room patrons. Within the Ballarat master plan a terrace could be built up, where the terrace is now, at about triple the height, for a comparatively very low cost. The main grandstand needs to continue around the goals to at least the far behind post and then terrace. Eventually main size to wrap around where the tiny grandstands are now. Then the big terrace in between. This would be up to about 25,000 and still have the country feel with views to the beautiful hills and countryside.

There were plenty of Ballarat-based Bulldogs supporters. Apart from me, I sat next to others, plus saw a few I know on the way in and others sitting in the stand.
If you mean new Ballarat-based supporters since we started playing games there, would be good (and transparent) if the club could release any figures they have. I'm not holding my breath though...
I saw a number of Ballarat-area people I know who are non-Bulldogs at the game as well. They are rusted-on supporters of their own clubs who take the opportunity to see AFL live. I cab guarantee they won't be swapping clubs they support though, and their children and grandchildren are highly unlikely as well.

Ultimately we play in Ballarat for the money, and any new supporters/members generated in the area will be minimal - in both the short and long term.

Club will never admit this though, as it contradicts a main part of the narrative.

This game was held in March and not May like the other two home matches we've had against GC but the attendance was significantly better than the previous 6k crowds we have had which did not compete against the GP.

The sponsorship we get from the state government and the City of Ballarat is of course the principal reason we play home matches there but increasing attendances will also be a factor.

Can I ask how many supporters travelled to Darwin when we sold games up there? 10,000 to 11,000,I don’t think so. A couple of thousand at the most.

Before COVID, members who didn’t go to Ballarat, could get in for free to a couple of away games, this seemed a fair and reasonable outcome. I would like to see that reinstated.

With all respect to Roogals version of events, I believe the fact North Melbourne were selling games to both Tasmania and Ballarat, caused the AFL to intervene, the fact that Ballarat is the West and our territory, not North’s was also the factor that the Bulldogs were given these games, as we withdrew from Darwin.

I love the Ballarat games, it’s a different feel to footy reminiscent of the VFL for the nostalgic ones amongst us. We also saw a function attended by Ballarat Bulldogs which was full.

Geelong has a membership around the 80,000 mark, they can’t all fit in to GMHBA but I don’t hear them all whinging, well actually I do, they want to play all home games there.

I do think they should have kept replacement games for those who didn’t go to Ballarat as an option. Richmond at the G or Pies at Marvel (although they shouldn’t host us there) would have been a good ones for this year.

At the same time I get why it was removed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before COVID, members who didn’t go to Ballarat, could get in for free to a couple of away games, this seemed a fair and reasonable outcome. I would like to see that reinstated.
This is partially offset by the fact that a Dogs GA membership is slightly cheaper to account for the 9 games.

I believe the fact North Melbourne were selling games to both Tasmania and Ballarat, caused the AFL to intervene, the fact that Ballarat is the West and our territory, not North’s was also the factor that the Bulldogs were given these games, as we withdrew from Darwin.
I think our deal was slightly more palatable for a Vic government that wanted the appeal of some games there. North were waiting for a larger and future development of the stadium, we were willing to play there with much more minor development. North wanted to play 4 games there and then take a similar deal to what Tassie are paying them now (that's not to say that they were unsuccessful in that aim, but it was an election promise before Brumby lost the election and there were two changes of government when we got the deal). We didn't want to sell as many as 4 games, so the sponsorship of us was presumably less than half than what North wanted from Government bodies (in addition to the costlier up front expansion).
I love the Ballarat games, it’s a different feel to footy reminiscent of the VFL for the nostalgic ones amongst us. We also saw a function attended by Ballarat Bulldogs which was full.

Geelong has a membership around the 80,000 mark, they can’t all fit in to GMHBA but I don’t hear them all whinging, well actually I do, they want to play all home games there.
Agreed!

Last edited:
Our 9 game memberships are cheaper than 11 game memberships of similar clubs. We charge $210 for adult GA 9 games memberships and of course there are regular deals like the dirt cheap SEN one ($99) that the club makes available.

St Kilda, North and Melbourne charge $244-$250 for equivalent 11 game memberships. Given most people do not attend all 11, I think our offerings are fair in not providing replacement games and that the club does not have to pay for their admission at these away games.

I think our deal was slightly more palatable for a Vic government that wanted the appeal of some games there. North were waiting for a larger and future development of the stadium, we were willing to play there with much more minor development. North wanted to play 4 games there and then take a similar deal to what Tassie are paying them now. We didn't want to sell as many as 4 games, so the sponsorship of us was presumably less than half than what North wanted from Government bodies (in addition to the costlier up front expansion).
The Roos hitched their skirt to Hobart with all the dollars that were on offer which was understandable in their circumstances. However, having done so, they have no reason to gripe (which I've seen their supporters regularly do) that the State Government and the City of Ballarat sought an alternative partner.

FWIW, I think there is/was a fair complaint for Docklands reserved seat holders that we went from 10 games in Docklands (with one sold to Cairns) to 9 with Ballarat, without a similar decrease in price.

That being said, I think the mathematical difference is so minor, and the subset of fans who enjoy their football experience only through the lens of their own reserved seat in specifically home games is small. There's enough crossover with those same fans who no longer have to fly to Cairns, but can now drive to Ballarat, even if it is more expensive, allowing for an additional Victorian game in general, which the potential access of such a game outweighs the loss of one specific reserved seat game (price notwithstanding).

FWIW, I think there is/was a fair complaint for Docklands reserved seat holders that we went from 10 games in Docklands (with one sold to Cairns) to 9 with Ballarat, without a similar decrease in price.

That being said, I think the mathematical difference is so minor, and the subset of fans who enjoy their football experience only through the lens of their own reserved seat in specifically home games is small. There's enough crossover with those same fans who no longer have to fly to Cairns, but can now drive to Ballarat, even if it is more expensive, allowing for an additional Victorian game in general, which the potential access of such a game outweighs the loss of one specific reserved seat game (price notwithstanding).
In our last two home games in Ballarat, I've taken the train rather than drive. Only costs $10.40 using PT to and from my front door. $5.20 for concession holders and free for Seniors. It's less stressful and something I would recommend.

The club has offered 2 game GA standing memberships for just $22 this year, so it can be a very cheap day for many.

Even if that is the aim, will take years to even make a dent in decades of rusted-on allegiance to other clubs. More realistic to aim for achievable foot hold and steadily increase support in Western Vic communities. Ballarat is hard enough, many of the people I know in Ballarat, Golden Plains and out to Creswick, Springbank, etc have generations of supporting a club. Very hard to change that family tradition.
It will have to be a multi generational investment to make inroads but I believe we can over time. And I have no information but all evidence suggests that the club does as well.

Give it time. My kids are currently in primary school in Ballarat, Bulldogs have been the most supported team in each of their classrooms the last couple of years. Including some kids who's families support other teams but they have latched onto the Dogs.

Stark contrast to when I was going through school, was rare to have another fellow Bulldog.

Kids don’t follow the parents clubs so stringently anymore, they make up their own minds. (Look at Hawkin’s daughter with her Bont doll) 😂

Seriously, don’t underestimate the influence of meeting a real life footy star has on a kid.

I know Schache’s niece is stubbornly still supporting the Bulldogs and not Melbourne.

Last edited:
Been to a handful of games in Ballarat and thoroughly enjoy the day out. But I have to say, Sunday at Ballarat was the most enjoyable experience I’ve had at a Bulldogs game since 2016.

The weather was absolutely perfect and the country feel and atmosphere that a country game has was such an excellent day. The missus loved it too. I love going to Ballarat to watch the dogs play.

Maybe not our literal first home game if possible, but a game early in the season as possible. Apart from GC not dealing with the wind very well on a few occasions, conditions were excellent, and the general quality of play and skills for both teams were far higher than the mid-year games that have been played in recent years.

As many have pointed out, to get 10k when previous games vs. Gold Coast were 6-7k in that dead time of year was fantastic.

Maybe not our literal first home game if possible, but a game early in the season as possible. Apart from GC not dealing with the wind very well on a few occasions, conditions were excellent, and the general quality of play and skills for both teams were far higher than the mid-year games that have been played in recent years.

As many have pointed out, to get 10k when previous games vs. Gold Coast were 6-7k in that dead time of year was fantastic.
I’d be happy with asking the AFL if they could basically lock it in for our 2nd home game every year, so round 2 is fine if we get a home game first in round 1 (doesn’t look like that’ll ever happen again…) or if not round 3 after a home game at Marvel.

Don’t really like starting our season there but agree it needs to be as early as possible. Was a great turnout and brilliant conditions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back