Wfl 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The guy has won a Touhey and been runners up. If he keeps kicking 6 - 8 a week you would think he will also win the goal kicking".

It all depends on how u kick the goals. I was at the Ararat v Saints game at the weekend and the little red head from Ararat in Thompson flogged Kelm in each contest. Kelm ended up kicking a bag in the end but all easy goals. Had no inpact or influence in the game. The little redhead cained him in each n every contest!:thumbsdown:
You obviously didn't see the paper on Monday when it had G. Kelm 7 Goals. I rest my case!!!!

You obviously didn't see the paper on Monday when it had G. Kelm 7 Goals. I rest my case!!!!

Kelmy pound for pound has been one of the best Wimmera league players for the last 10 years. Whether thats Full Forward, Half Back Flank or on the ball. Still remember him playing in one of the Saints losing Grand Finals againist the Burras I think wearing a boxing helmet to protect a broken jaw he copped the previous week. Defintely wouldn't want to go a few rounds with the guy.
I rate Luke Carr the toughest match up in the Wimmera League at present. He can do it all, in the air, on the ground, out wide or in tight. Who do you play on him? A bloke that can match him in the air or at ground level? Very few blokes around that can do the job!

6 from Saints, 6 from Demons, 3 from Eagles, 2 from Burras, 2 from Ararat, 1 from Roos, 1 from United, None from Nhill or Stawell.
Lets see how close I am when final squad is named.
United 4. Saints 4. Demons 4 Eagles 3 Burras 1 Rats 3 Roos 2 Stawell 3 Nhill 1.
You were not that close with Stawell or Rats. On the money with eagles and really just out with the others.

Great result for the Wimmera League yesterday.

Wimmera: 20.12 (132)
Western Border: 9.13 (67)

Goals: Wimmera: G Kelm 10, J Duke 2, K George, T Wade, J Graham, P Knott, J Burke, L Chamberlain, M Hoe, T George.
Weistern Border: G Coxon 3, B O'Neil 2, B Huff 2, D Dempsey, J Weir.
Best: Wimmera: J Duke, G Kelm, D Parkin, T Wade.
Western Border: G Coxon, C Cowell, D Kelly, C Haggert

Would be great to see Horsham step up to a higher League. With a team in the Wimmera playing in the VFL they would be able to draw on any player between Ararat and the SA border that had any belief in themselves at all. It would also justify an upgrade of the city oval.

Thats come from left field there Fancy! Never happen in a million years.

I think we have the quality in our region. Think of the Horsham team now with players like Clinton Midgely, Steve Scultz, Bustch, Kelm, Lohde, Webb. Also think of all the young guys coming out of the Rebels across the region. Also think about the players you would be able to attract to the team from far and wide. The team could play at several grounds including Sundays at Nhill and play after WFL and District League games. The only reason it couldn’t happen is like of foresight and apathy. Now that we have our Leagues run with the same administration we are able to harness more support. It would be the greatest thing to happen to football in the area since Sonny Lindsay was kicked out of the place.

What would happen to all the local clubs if you took say the best two players from each side? It would ruin local footy. Clubs are finding it harder and harder to get 40 blokes on the ground each week. Where would the money come to run the new super club? Sponsors are hard enough to find at the moment. There would be huge operating cost associated with running the club with player payments, travel expenses etc.
I do agree with your Sonny Linsay comment, but would add the best thing to happen to footy in the region would be for another Wimmera League club to hold aloft the premiership cup of 2009!

Great result for the Wimmera League yesterday.

Wimmera: 20.12 (132)
Western Border: 9.13 (67)

Goals: Wimmera: G Kelm 10, J Duke 2, K George, T Wade, J Graham, P Knott, J Burke, L Chamberlain, M Hoe, T George.
Weistern Border: G Coxon 3, B O'Neil 2, B Huff 2, D Dempsey, J Weir.
Best: Wimmera: J Duke, G Kelm, D Parkin, T Wade.
Western Border: G Coxon, C Cowell, D Kelly, C Haggert
I would have thought 10 goals would be enough to get best for Wimmera.
Are all personal awards now only given to mid fielders. Have a look through the last few weeks and blokes kicking 8, 9 & 10 in any grade are only getting 3rd best. It's a load of crap. If a guy kicks 8plus they should have done enough, unless the midfielder has 45 touches.

United 4. Saints 4. Demons 4 Eagles 3 Burras 1 Rats 3 Roos 2 Stawell 3 Nhill 1.
You were not that close with Stawell or Rats. On the money with eagles and really just out with the others.
Probably a bit stupid of me to pick 6 from Saints & Demons. Although I reckon if you were generally picking your best, without out of town import ( that were never going to be picked ) i think 5 from each would have been fairer. Remeber Carr, Farr, Barnett, Arnell, Butsch, Ward, Couch, Denson, H. Kelm would have all been there abouts. I didn't think anyone from Nhill as I thought it may be too hard for them to get to training & I just wanted to shit stir Stawell. Jack Duke must be handy... He looks pretty light on. I thought he would have been crunched against some of these big apes from Western Border.

The grape vine has been running hot in Nhill after they dumped a paid ruckman a few weeks back, a bit suprised it didnt pop up on here. Rumours are flying where he is playing but sources tell me that your speed is reduced by 20kmh when travelling through the town on the western highway.

Also have heard the club is in deep discussion with its last Toohey Medallist who may finish the season in the M&M's jumper and hang up the boots.
After 2 weeks off the tigers face a must win game at Stawell.

Also heard Warrack eagles may be trying to lure 2 late recruits with the $$$ they now have left over from Hutchy.

I got told Farry has a broken nose from the interleague game. Can anybody confirm this?

Not sure Fancy, I see ex premiership team mates Jordy Burke and Garret Liston copped red cards in the same match after throwing a few 'powder puffs' at each other. Liston has moved to the Western Border League this year.
The firey red headed southpaw is getting a name for himself as a bit of an angry ant.

The grape vine has been running hot in Nhill after they dumped a paid ruckman a few weeks back, a bit suprised it didnt pop up on here. Rumours are flying where he is playing but sources tell me that your speed is reduced by 20kmh when travelling through the town on the western highway.

Also have heard the club is in deep discussion with its last Toohey Medallist who may finish the season in the M&M's jumper and hang up the boots.
After 2 weeks off the tigers face a must win game at Stawell.

Also heard Warrack eagles may be trying to lure 2 late recruits with the $$$ they now have left over from Hutchy.
The ruckman story was in the WMT last week. He has signed with Pimp.
Don't tell me Wes Richardson is making a come back at 70 years of age.
Isn't he Nhill's last Toohey medallist, other than 'Grandpa' Graham?
Didn't Robbie Broadhurst win one in early 90's?? He would be about 34-35 now.

Expect a hard game when the Scarlett thighs take on the Zero Tigers this week. The Tigers are ready to throw everything at them and word at the club rooms is that Stawell often wilt under hard physical pressure. Expect Tuckey to come in for some rugged attention and for no prisoners to be taken.

Long drive for the Nhill recruits to the Redlegs nest Fancy they'll need plenty of stretches for the boys backs. Do the boys drive over each week or fly?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may want to do your homework Nardoo!! If you would like to take a look at the team list at Horsham or others teams that may be struggling in the U/14s this year its because each year players have to go up because of their age. Its not brain surgery. Horsham U/14s lost a huge number of very talented players to their U/17 eg. Blake, Duncan, Christopher. But have a great group of new players from their minis. They might not break any records this year, but watch this space. They will be force to be recokoned with in the years to come, not only in the U/14 but the U/17 and then the Seniors. Thats what happens at Horsham. They do the hard yards. Maybe other clubs should take leaf out of their book and then they might be able to enjoy some of the sucess that Horsham has over the last few years.

Yep, still there Slim. Had a few injuries, but still a gun. Stawell stuggling this year with both injuries and departures hurting them.

So it would seem that by going by wat people say in regards 2 the money that they have falked out ova the past couple of years in trying 2 buy a premiership has failed considerably and they r further away now than wat they were 2/3 years ago!! Well thats wat happens when u try and buy premierships.........must admit it puts a smile on many faces 2 have a look at the ladder and c that stawell r at the bottom end of the ladder!! :D

So it would seem that by going by wat people say in regards 2 the money that they have falked out ova the past couple of years in trying 2 buy a premiership has failed considerably and they r further away now than wat they were 2/3 years ago!! Well thats wat happens when u try and buy premierships.........must admit it puts a smile on many faces 2 have a look at the ladder and c that stawell r at the bottom end of the ladder!! :D

The great PETER (PIES) HOMDEN will be playing in the reserves this week to give them a much needed boost in height and size up forward.Great to see him at training each week cheering meggsy and the boys on.
Hes come a long way Hommy since moving from skeene st.

The great PETER (PIES) HOMDEN will be playing in the reserves this week to give them a much needed boost in height and size up forward.

That would be more useful if he played ones considering the reserves haven't dropped a game yet and going along quite well with plenty to come back in.

Although the ones are struggling its great to see plenty of young players make their debut (with the exception of lucas fudge who at the tender age of 22 could be past his best) which should hold them in good stead for the next few years..

That would be more useful if he played ones considering the reserves haven't dropped a game yet and going along quite well with plenty to come back in.

Although the ones are struggling its great to see plenty of young players make their debut (with the exception of lucas fudge who at the tender age of 22 could be past his best) which should hold them in good stead for the next few years..

Hit the nail on the head there, Fudge is well past his best, well his best was never was very good (only in his mind is he a champion). Oh and watch out boys in the changerooms, u never know who's next on his "he's alright" list.

Perhaps the question is not so much how much Stawell have spent over the last few years but weather they can keep it up. If Newo was correct when he said they were paying 100k player payments then you would wonder if that is sustainable in the long term. If they have to halve their player payments from what ever they may have been then you wonder how strong they will be over the next few years. True there are a lot of good juniors coming through but the likelihood is many of these kids will travel away after high school or go to other clubs.

What do you Stawell guys think?

Stawell have not payed anywhere near over 100k on player payments. Yes Tucks is on a good wage but again he is an ex local boy, and he brings a lot of people to the footy. A number of recruits they got last year were also ex local boys, and player wages certainly weren't anyhwere in the steep range. Why do u think so many from last years team have left to go to teams like Navarre? Stawell missed their Premiership window last year when they disappointingly lost in the prelim. Player turnover was always going to be high. A rebuilding phase has begun and Stawell do now need to focus on the youth because football in the area, as well as a number of other areas, isnt a number one focus for many and yes many good players will leave town. Where sometimes only decent payments would see them return. Horsham teams will continue to dominate as they are in a growth area, Stawell, Ararat and others can not keep up with them, recruiting wise there is not a lot to chase for at the moment. Teams will get younger and younger, ones who can keep these players together for as long as possible will reap the rewards.

Hey, who is the Saints player charged from the reserves game? What happened/
Burgess put one on Ben Holmes. Holmes and a few others including Dickinson had been giving it to him and some of the other Saints boys. After Holmes jumped into Burgess' back while he was on the ground, the big baker got up and went bang!! The issue here is not the incident, it is the fact that Herbie Hallam was standing right there and didn't make a report, just sent Burgess off with a yellow card. Although Holmes did get knocked out briefly, he continued to play the rest of the game and said he probably deserved it. He has already gone on record saying there was nothing in it, so it has not been an investigation driven by Nhill.
The whole thing has blown up only because Wimmera League Commissioner Bill Phelan was standing on the hill 10mtrs away and was not happy with how the umpires dealt with the situation. (for those who dont know, Phelan is the tribunal chairman...)
There's been blokes get away with a lot more than one punch over the years, Burgess was just stiff. 1 week at best for something that has been written up in the paper like the biggest story of the year.:mad:

Horsham vs Ararat
The Evil empire will do it easy over the Rodents.

Stawell vs Dimboola
Stawell to bounce out with a big win against the Roos.

Nhill vs Minyip/Murtoa
A depleted Burras to get over the line against, just, against Nhill.

Warrack Vs Saints
I’m going for the Eagles in an upset over the Saints.
Agree but will go nhill to get up over the burras

Perhaps the question is not so much how much Stawell have spent over the last few years but weather they can keep it up. If Newo was correct when he said they were paying 100k player payments then you would wonder if that is sustainable in the long term. If they have to halve their player payments from what ever they may have been then you wonder how strong they will be over the next few years. True there are a lot of good juniors coming through but the likelihood is many of these kids will travel away after high school or go to other clubs.

What do you Stawell guys think?

Very good post Fancy....u've hit the nail on the head, exactly how long can Stawell sustain forking out the big bucks and continue 2 b a failure!! Whether or not they did fork out near $100k we will prob never ever no and nor does it matter whether they did or not but the fact is they have from all reports spent large amounts of money on player payments ova the past few years 4 nothing in the end!!

Its alrite saying that Tuckey brings people thru the gates, but 4 wat in the end!! Yes he's prob generated a lot of money in sales 4 the club by people turning up 2 watch a one man team.....but lets sit back and b realistic....if u don't get a premiership out of it then who gives a flying ***!! As a club its all about winning a premiership and like ghudda said, stawell have missed their opportunity!! If they r serious about rebuilding and keeping the young kids that r coming thru, then start forking out the big bucks on them and wait 4 a premiership 2 come along, rather than trying 2 buy a flag!!

Unfortunately 4 the stawell fc the future in terms of success doesn't look brite!!

Originally Posted by newo
it tru alright, last year they spent over 100grand on players, and i know this because one of they're former sponsors (who did sponsor them last year) told me.
as for name's, i dont think is necessary to name them on this site..

Originally Posted by Purrfect Pussies
100K !!!! Crap, no Wimmera League clubs would have anywhere near that sort of cash to spend on players.
Stawells sponsers must be pumping in the cash for them to spend that amount of dosh on players alone, not taking into account club running expenses etc.

Originally posted by newo
they spent 45k on they're two assistant coach's alone and every senior player was being paid, so what the *** would u know

Interesting reading pages 58/59 silly season thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back