What are the moments in AFL that you will never forget?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but 2005 was an awful game, and 2006 was a great one. I can't argue with 2009 or 2010 (I can't be objective considering my team was playing in them), but 2006 was 5 times the match 2005 was.

My club

- Brett Allison standing on Gavin Crosiscas head, then Collingwood supporters rising to their feet and applauding.

- Phil Krakeours goal v Essendon under lights.

- Anthony Stevens on one leg winning a one out duel v Anthony Franchina despite ripping his pectoral muscle off the bone in the same contest in the 1999 grand final.

- Dean Laidley backing in to the hole to mark in front of an oncoming Tony Lockett in the 1996 grand final.

Other clubs

- Andrew Jarman missing a soda in the 1993 preliminary final, costing Adelaide a place in the grand final.

- Tony Lockett almost killing Guy McKenna down at Moorabin.

- Gary Abletts "hand of god" mark in the 1994 preliminary final.

Remove a couple of Nick Davis goals in the last quarter, and this was a pretty dull affair also. An armwrestle in shocking conditions, then a quarter from nowhere. Good finish I guess, but average game overall.

i have to agree to be honest. i was at the game and up in the stands to the left of the scoreboard (facing the field) where nick davis kicked the winner. the game really was ordinary for 3 quarters and to be honest, i thought we were done when geelong kicked the 1st of the last quarter. but of the hundreds of games ive been to, it was easily the most tense game i've ever been to as the fourth quarter wore on and we kept creeping closer after each nick davis goal. not to mention the atmosphere and eruption of the crowd when nick davis slotted his fourth. and in general when the siren went as well, the whole ground shook and it definitely was a night of football that i'll never forget.

I'm never going to forget watching Luke Hode try and impose himself on Stephen Hill and Anthony Morabito only to be confronted by Adam McPhee.

The capitulation that followed on Hodges behalf was laughable, he didn't commit to contests all day, was generally second to the ball and watching him realize he wasnt committing was just as bad.

Instead of turning the situation around and willing himself to the ball first he started to grimace and flex.

Started tackling late and throwing in cheap punches and knees with each tackle.

That's one memory, but it pales in comparison to a performance by one David Mundy in the very same fixture, the man was everywhere and his skills were flawless, one of the best finals games you will ever see.

It was Anzac Day 2009… I had a huge night the night before and hadn’t slept.. had two free tickets to the game. Didn’t wanna go.. couldn’t be bothered.. wanted to watch it on TV..

Mrs is a Geelong supporter, who’s second team is Collingwood (I know).. we fought, I didn’t wanna go.. she forced me to do so.

We made it just after the start of the game. My tickets came from the club therefore we were sitting in a sea of Essendon supporters (Mrs wearing her Collingwood jumper)

Collingwood were controlling the game easily despite us having some good moments… Mrs was standing up and cheering every Collingwood goal to the apathy of the sea of Essendon supporters around us including myself..

We made a run in the final quarter until Davis kicked his ‘you can’t see me goal’…

At that point, I thought it was over, I pleaded with the Mrs to leave.. she was having none of it and was enjoying winning after I had been vocal all day..

I clasped my hands together and began to pray out loud “Please Lord… make something happen.. please Lord” (on my 6th beer for the day)

A goal by Jetta, a boundary goal from Ricky Dyson as the rain came down and we were close.

My prayers became louder and louder.. until suddenly..

ZAHARAKIS… ZAHARAKIS… ZAHARAKIS..

I went APE… everyone was going off.. high fives to random strangers in crowd…

I was on a high for the next 4 hours.. the Mrs conveniently got a headache right on the final siren and couldn’t handle my gloating the whole ride home..

Special day..

Remove this Banner Ad

What are the moments in AFL that you will never forget?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back