What changes do you think must be made in 2007 for the Essendon Football Club ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say the best thing we could do is to make about 5-8 changes to our list, add a couple of young up and coming champions players who can run hard for 4 quarters.
I'd say delist or trade, Bolton, Cartledge, Henneman, Reynolds, and I'd be talking Rioli into retiring as well as he can't keep a spot on the list if he can't run out games week in week out. With lists being smaller these days, theres not too much room to carry players with soft tissue injuries.
Take into account these changes along with the uncertain future of Rama who I'd absolutely love to see out on the park, and a couple of other trades, and its a fair list of players to overturn in one season.
We need to make a change to a list of players who we can be stars of the future, who can we turn into 4 quarters a week, week in, week out footballers. No team can afford to have too many players on the list that can't do these things week in week out. You get a run of 4 or 5 injuries and it plummets you to the depths very quickly. The competition is getting tougher and tougher and winning games demands a high amout of fitness and we need to be able to go hard at it with every player on the list.

Hawk0373 said:
assumption based on watching essendon games over the last 2 years and taking into account the imminent departure of top liners over the next 2 with nothing much coming through.

Sorry to dissapoint you but Fletcher has 3-4 years left in him, and while this may be Hirdy's last, Lloyd has 4-5 good years left and as he is not only feeling better than ever, he is more determined than ever ;)

Actually a bit more difficult than you'd expect for a team with our record this year. I am assuming we will take 5 players in draft and aim to get 1-2 in trade or pre-season draft. We have 39 senior listed players this year so if we want to get new players we need to delist or trade 6 players.
Henneman, Reynolds, Cartiledge = definitely out
Rioli has made noises re trying out pre-seaon next year given his knee now feels good, unfortunately we can't carry both him & Rama with big question marks over their futures. So retire him. That's 4.
Bolton for the sanity of all Essendon supporters. 5
Who is number 6?
I personally wouldn't promote Jolly as we then have Peverill, Heffernan & Jolly. So who else goes? Neagle to rookie list for a couple of years to see if he can play - don't think Sheedy will do this.
Am guessing they may look at PP for Aker, another 4 in draft & 1 other in pre-season. Delist Henneman, Reynolds, Cartiledge, Bolton, Rioli.

Neagle can't be delisted, which you'd have to do in order to put him on the rookie list. As a first year draftee, he has an automatic second year.

I think it's increasingly likely that Jolley won't get promoted. I also wouldn't be keeping Pev, regardless of his improved form I still don't think he's accountable enough, nor damaging enough with the ball.

I'd be wanting 5 picks in National Draft and 1 in the PSD.

Rama, Rioli, Reynolds, Henno, Bolton, Cartledge and Pev would all be in the gun. One of that group will stay, unless Jolley does get promoted.

Longy413 said:
Neagle can't be delisted, which you'd have to do in order to put him on the rookie list. As a first year draftee, he has an automatic second year.

I think it's increasingly likely that Jolley won't get promoted. I also wouldn't be keeping Pev, regardless of his improved form I still don't think he's accountable enough, nor damaging enough with the ball.

I'd be wanting 5 picks in National Draft and 1 in the PSD.

Rama, Rioli, Reynolds, Henno, Bolton, Cartledge and Pev would all be in the gun. One of that group will stay, unless Jolley does get promoted.

I cant see Bolts being delisted with a question mark on our young talls (Laycock coming through injury, Lucy and Lee developing...or unless we draft a young quality tall who could almost slot right into a utility type role)

Incidently, Im increasingly hearing rumours that McPhee will be targeted...has anyone else come across this seemingly far fetched opinion??

Hawk0373 said:
DaSawx said:
We've had 2 bad years injury wise and we're getting our youngsters some real experience, the sooner we play finals football the more advanced of the Hawthorns, Carltons, Ports and Brisbane's we'll be.

Assuming your current list has what it takes to beat the more fancied interstate teams. I wouldnt think so for the next 5 years. Nice try imitating an intelligent observer ;)

Crave said:
I cant see Bolts being delisted with a question mark on our young talls (Laycock coming through injury, Lucy and Lee developing...or unless we draft a young quality tall who could almost slot right into a utility type role)

We saw how well Bolts went playing as a tall back last week, if Benny Dixon is taking you apart, there are problems.

He's out of contract, he was nearly traded to Carlton last year but didn't want to go. He hasn't been signed yet when most other players have either signed or been offered a contract. If he's ever going to go, it's this year.

Crave said:
Incidently, Im increasingly hearing rumours that McPhee will be targeted...has anyone else come across this seemingly far fetched opinion??

No doubt other clubs would be having a dip, if he was at another club we'd be having a go.

Longy- You stated that Jolley is looking less likely to be promoted. Are you basing that on his form or something that you have heard?

foj1 said:
Longy- You stated that Jolley is looking less likely to be promoted. Are you basing that on his form or something that you have heard?

Just that he only played last week because of Campo pulling out. Campo may well have never been playing and Jolley may have been playing all along.

I just feel that the Jolley decision is a tough one and we would have had a better look at him if he was a big chance to stay.

I could be wrong, I almost hope I am.

Nuts4Bolts said:
Why almost? If you want him to stay, you should WANT to be wrong.

Because I'm not 100% sold he's going to make it and I'm slightly concerned we already have enough of his type.

And I think Sam Lonergan is going to be a much better footballer than Ben, they could potentially be going for the same spot in the side.

Will bottoming out next year put us in a better position for the future?

Some people say yes.. I'd have to say no...

Would West Coast be where they are this year without Judd?
Would Richmond be where they are without Deledio?

You're talking about 1 player..

Have a look at 1 team.. Hawthorn.. bottomed out for a couple of years.. going through a 'rebuilding phase'... as a supported of that side.. I wouldn't accept that BS.

Bugger putting your hand up as a team, instilling in your players minds that there must be a 'youth policy' so therefore giving an excuse to not play finals footy, let alone a chance to win a premiership..

Did Sheedy go into 1993 accepting a low position on the ladder with a team without the likes of TD and Simon Madden? The answers NO.. we may have been sitting damn low after 5 games that year, but we turned it around..

So, If any w*nker hawthorn supporter wants to wander into this Board, then do so.. but, remember who the last Victorian team to win a premiership was.. and also who the next one will be..

Cos, as luck may have it.. with absolutely no substantiated evidence.. a little bit of luck on the injury front, Essendon has just as much chance of winning the premiership next year as anyone. People might think I'm naive, but, I will not accept any excuses made by management of the team I have barracked for all my life to bottom out, or come up with the 'youth policy' excuse or 'rebuilding phase' to soften my opinion on whether my team goes out on the paddock to win every week.

Draft pick number 1 or not, a good recruiter is the key. Has been all along!

I've vented.. thank you ;)

Longy413 said:
Because I'm not 100% sold he's going to make it and I'm slightly concerned we already have enough of his type.

And I think Sam Lonergan is going to be a much better footballer than Ben, they could potentially be going for the same spot in the side.

You've changed your tune. Not long ago, we were aruging about Pev/Jolley and you were adamant he WOULD make it. Competition for the same spots is healthy regardless if they play in the same position...keeps them honest and on their toes. Lonergan is still an unknown quantity at senior level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crave said:
You've changed your tune. Not long ago, we were aruging about Pev/Jolley and you were adamant he WOULD make it. Competition for the same spots is healthy regardless if they play in the same position...keeps them honest and on their toes. Lonergan is still an unknown quantity at senior level.

Actually that whole arguement started about Solly replacing Jolley in the selected side. Which I argued wouldn't happen because we needed to look at Jolley and would have him miss a week of footy.

I still think Pev is on borrowed time and I'd still move him on.

Lonergan is an unknown quality, but he does have more strings to his bow than Jolley and Pev for that matter.

Competition for spots is healthy, but we still need to get rid of six or so blokes.

I still think BJ will make it, but watching him in the same side as Pev, Heff, JJ running through the middle it is evident we have too many one paced midfielders. Given the difficulties we may well have in delisting come the end of the year, promoting him is going to be tough.

And I also think the club has already made their decision on him give he was dropped this week.

adamcf said:
Will bottoming out next year put us in a better position for the future?

Some people say yes.. I'd have to say no...

Would West Coast be where they are this year without Judd?
Would Richmond be where they are without Deledio?

You're talking about 1 player..

Have a look at 1 team.. Hawthorn.. bottomed out for a couple of years.. going through a 'rebuilding phase'... as a supported of that side.. I wouldn't accept that BS.

Bugger putting your hand up as a team, instilling in your players minds that there must be a 'youth policy' so therefore giving an excuse to not play finals footy, let alone a chance to win a premiership..

Did Sheedy go into 1993 accepting a low position on the ladder with a team without the likes of TD and Simon Madden? The answers NO.. we may have been sitting damn low after 5 games that year, but we turned it around..

So, If any w*nker hawthorn supporter wants to wander into this Board, then do so.. but, remember who the last Victorian team to win a premiership was.. and also who the next one will be..

Cos, as luck may have it.. with absolutely no substantiated evidence.. a little bit of luck on the injury front, Essendon has just as much chance of winning the premiership next year as anyone. People might think I'm naive, but, I will not accept any excuses made by management of the team I have barracked for all my life to bottom out, or come up with the 'youth policy' excuse or 'rebuilding phase' to soften my opinion on whether my team goes out on the paddock to win every week.

Draft pick number 1 or not, a good recruiter is the key. Has been all along!

I've vented.. thank you ;)

Nice vent.

Problem is you've already bottomed out with an experienced list. This is the real concern

Feel free to be sucked in by an old preacher who has lost his way in the current footy climate. Who cares who the last Vic side was? - this is a national comp. Next you'll be saying it's all because of flooding and the martians. Please.

I've witnessed 5 flags and a truckload of finals also.

The Hawks weighed up whether to top up and tread water with the likelyhood of finishing 6-8th and battle in the finals or rebuild with a mix of youth and experience and plan ahead for a real tilt.

Time will tell.

Longy413 said:
Actually that whole arguement started about Solly replacing Jolley in the selected side. Which I argued wouldn't happen because we needed to look at Jolley and would have him miss a week of footy.

I still think Pev is on borrowed time and I'd still move him on.

Lonergan is an unknown quality, but he does have more strings to his bow than Jolley and Pev for that matter.

Competition for spots is healthy, but we still need to get rid of six or so blokes.

I still think BJ will make it, but watching him in the same side as Pev, Heff, JJ running through the middle it is evident we have too many one paced midfielders. Given the difficulties we may well have in delisting come the end of the year, promoting him is going to be tough.

And I also think the club has already made their decision on him give he was dropped this week.

Yeah, a little disappointed the dropped the kid. I know where you're coming from with the one paced midfielders but what concerns me is thrusting them into the thick of it...as it might very well have us down the lower end of the laddrer for a further season or two till they mature. No doubt, we'll survive the lean years, but are beginning to drift off fromthe rest of the competition??

Hawk0373 said:
Nice vent.

Problem is you've already bottomed out with an experienced list. This is the real concern

Time will tell.

I wouldn't exactly say our side has a huge amount of players with experience, we have about 8 players who have been in the side for most of the year with less than 50 games under their belt at the start of the year, so they've basically just finding their feet at AFL level. Theres about 4 or 5 others with between 50 and 100 games who have time on their hands also.
Add to the fact theres been a few young guys coming in here and there due to not being able to field our full strength side at different parts of the year, and it does hurt your chances of winning regular games.

Crave said:
Yeah, a little disappointed the dropped the kid. I know where you're coming from with the one paced midfielders but what concerns me is thrusting them into the thick of it...as it might very well have us down the lower end of the laddrer for a further season or two till they mature. No doubt, we'll survive the lean years, but are beginning to drift off fromthe rest of the competition??

I think we are competitive enough in most games to suggest improvement from young players, the addition of injured experienced players and a good drafting/trading process will see more wins. How many more is anyone's guess, but I don't think we'll be bottom four next season.

I would have Jolley ahead of Pev definitely mainly for the fact that he actually goes and lays tackles and seems to enjoy it.Pev frustrates me in this regard especially as when he first started he was great in this regard. Now he just corrals players or worse just runs away from them while they run up the field. He did that a few times in the first quarter last week.

Also he is much younger and has some improvement in him no doubt.

Longy413 said:
I think we are competitive enough in most games to suggest improvement from young players, the addition of injured experienced players and a good drafting/trading process will see more wins. How many more is anyone's guess, but I don't think we'll be bottom four next season.

I agree with this also.
The one thing that really concerns me is the amount of injuries we get year after year.Sure some teams are hit as hard if not harder, but after many years of watching the Bombers i feel we have had more injuries, over time ,than any other team.
For example Campo was rarely injured at Carlton, and i know he is a year older now, but hes been off the park more than on.

For what it's worth i reckon we need to boost our recruiting department, as well as the reshuffle and have a long hard look at our injury mangement, although i am clueless on how you go about improving that

as someone said earlier i do think in this strong draft we need to trade and try and get as many draft picks as possible without losing our top line players. we should be trying to ship off henneman, bolton, solomon, reynolds, cartlidge, peverall, heffernan, j.johnson( i know hes a top liner but we have too many players who arnt very quick and cant kick too well, and hes pushing 30 hard decision but some have to be made). i know we wont get too much for those blokes, but for some of them a kid could be more valuable in the future and even next season. Some offers wont be worth some of those players (J.Johnson), so dont do it unless its a good one.

Remove this Banner Ad

What changes do you think must be made in 2007 for the Essendon Football Club ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back