What do people think of this idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

M-Train

All Australian
Nov 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon we should invest HEAVILY in this and next year's DRAFT!

This may make me look stupid, and I expect some abuse but provided that we dont win this year's premiership, I would like us to go after one of the top 3 picks in this year's draft.

I would trade our first pick (say pick 10-16) and someone like a Josh Fraser or Rhyce Shaw (or even both) to upgrade our pick to a pick in the top 3. (If a bottom 3 club was willing to accept)

Some may say, why would you want to get rid of R Shaw and Fraser? Yes.... R Shaw has had a terrific year to date however my argument is; both players have been on the list for nearly 10 years, and if we haven't achieved the ultimate prize, its time to move on. Yes, I know top 3 picks aren't guaranteed superstars, but more often than not..... they are!

Imagine we get the draft the next "Cousins" or "Brown"

No for a couple of reasons. 1stly i doubt we would get a top 3 pick even offering what you are offering. Simply the teams that are finishing at the bottom are rebuilding and would rather then best younger then a couple of decent older players and a lower pick then theirs.

Secondly if we were to trade Fraser and Rhyce for example I would prefer it be something like Fraser for a late 1st/ early second round pick and Rhyce for second and even someone like egan for a third.

Or something like that.

That said I think unfortunatly Fraser value to us is still much higher then his trade value. Rhyce I would put on the table if it where a business decision but i am not sure what it would do for team moral and chemistry

This may make me look stupid, and I expect some abuse but provided that we dont win this year's premiership, I would like us to go after one of the top 3 picks in this year's draft.

I would trade our first pick (say pick 10-16) and someone like a Josh Fraser or Rhyce Shaw (or even both) to upgrade our pick to a pick in the top 3. (If a bottom 3 club was willing to accept)

Some may say, why would you want to get rid of R Shaw and Fraser? Yes.... R Shaw has had a terrific year to date however my argument is; both players have been on the list for nearly 10 years, and if we haven't achieved the ultimate prize, its time to move on. Yes, I know top 3 picks aren't guaranteed superstars, but more often than not..... they are!

Imagine if we don't...what a ____ing waste of two good players and a hell of a lot of credibility.

Imagine if we don't...what a ____ing waste of two good players and a hell of a lot of credibility.

They aren't good players... they are average so if a club did want Fraser and/or Shaw Collingwood would be stupid not to trade them off for such a high pick. Won't happen though, the bottom few wouldn't bother with it.

They aren't good players... they are average so if a club did want Fraser and/or Shaw Collingwood would be stupid not to trade them off for such a high pick. Won't happen though, the bottom few wouldn't bother with it.

cameron cloke and heath schotland were average players... josh at his best can be in the elite (granted he is hard as toasted marshmellow) and rhyce shaw has become one of the more consistent taggers/running defenders in the game...

BOTH would be top 10 in ur teams list..

LMAO...yep keep thinkin that...
High picks don't always turn to gold....your club will learn this over the next few seasons. Maybe one in ten end up living up to the hype and the others become either average players or are delisted.

cameron cloke and heath schotland were average players... josh at his best can be in the elite (granted he is hard as toasted marshmellow) and rhyce shaw has become one of the more consistent taggers/running defenders in the game...

BOTH would be top 10 in ur teams list..

No way in hell Rhyce Shaw would be in Carlton's top 10.

Fraser possibly though.

lol gibbs :eek:

Gibbs is good ;)

Collingwood will not trade the vice captain and a quality midfielder.
and clubs rebuilding do not want to trade high draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it a waste of credibility?

R Shaw has definitely had excellent season to date, There is no denying that. By far his best season to date but provided we dont win the premiership at the end of the year its time to try something new!

If you read the whole thing, I said the argument is; both players have been on the list for nearly 10 years, and if we haven't achieved the ultimate prize, its time to move on.

No for a couple of reasons. 1stly i doubt we would get a top 3 pick even offering what you are offering. Simply the teams that are finishing at the bottom are rebuilding and would rather then best younger then a couple of decent older players and a lower pick then theirs.

Fair point!

What do you think we would need to do to get a top 3 pick?

to get a top 3 pick we would have to trade something like, our top pick + pendlebury + reid, or something like that. so no.
Garbage!

All of Melbourne, West Coast and Freemantle would take Pendles alone in exchange for their number 1 pick. He is just what you hope an early pick will turn out like and barring injury will be an elite player in the game within a few years.

pfft we dont need the draft, we have technically bypassed it with our irish recuits and nsw programs. we've got so much tall timber coming up i'm sure we'd be able to just trade for wat we need.
after all we do have the great hine, so doesnt really phase me if we dont get low draft picks.

They are two average players, thou Rhyce has stepped up this year, he has done very little in his first 7 years on the list.
Fraser is a major dissapointment to the say the least after a good first year, i would be rapt if we could snare a second round pick for Fraser, as he has little value on the open market.

Remove this Banner Ad

What do people think of this idea?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back