What does Andrew Symonds need to do to cement a Test spot beyond the 2007/08 summer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait and see is a counter argument, the bloke has barely played Test Cricket.
19 Test innings. Gone past 50 three times.

But of course, it's all about those few times he's made a score. The 16 failures don't count, do they?

Symonds will get more chances, but it's time for him to deliver. To be a regular in the Australian top 6, you need to be scoring runs. There are other guys outside the side who could hold down #6 if given as many chances as Symonds has had.

19 Test innings. Gone past 50 three times.

But of course, it's all about those few times he's made a score. The 16 failures don't count, do they?

Symonds will get more chances, but it's time for him to deliver. To be a regular in the Australian top 6, you need to be scoring runs. There are other guys outside the side who could hold down #6 if given as many chances as Symonds has had.
Of those 19 test innings, 15 were from more than 18 months ago. How do any of his poor showings from March 2004 have relevance today? He was already dropped after those 15 and then later recalled so their relevance in assessing him is diminished. The selectors had already seen fit to recall him despite that record.

Since his recall Dec last year he's only had 4 knocks of 26, 2, 156 and 48, averaging 58, plus he ignited the team in Melbourne in the field and with the ball.

Yes he has to perform to hold his spot as he doesn't have as many points on the board already as some of the others, but his poor efforts from years ago will be long forgotten if he does deliver this summer.

Of those 19 test innings, 15 were from more than 18 months ago. How do any of his poor showings from March 2004 have relevance today?
If he had made a century in those innings, it would be considered relevant.

He didn't, so you can mark those innings down as even more chances that he didn't make the most of.

Symonds has had plenty of opportunities. That's the relevance.

Yes he has to perform to hold his spot as he doesn't have as many points on the board already as some of the others, but his poor efforts from years ago will be long forgotten if he does deliver this summer.
No kidding.

If he makes a couple of big centuries, he's not going to be dropped because of his earlier struggles.

But if he doesn't make a fist of it this time, it should be curtains, because he's had enough chances to make an impression.

Nice innings from Symonds today too. All be it after Sri Lanka had well and truly dropped their heads and started bowling defensive crap. Still not always easy to sit around next man in with the pads on that long and score.

Lets just say that if he keeps this up he'll cement his spot comfortably. Wicket in each innings with a chance for more tomozz and 50 odd n.o in quick time, dont get me wrong thoguh he has big challenges ahead but hes doing well so far

Said a thousand times and obviously it aint easy, but as long as he plays his natural game he'll be fine.

Lets just say that if he keeps this up he'll cement his spot comfortably. Wicket in each innings with a chance for more tomozz and 50 odd n.o in quick time, dont get me wrong thoguh he has big challenges ahead but hes doing well so far

Hardly any pressure on him when he walks in at 4/450 odd though.

The wickets were a nice bonus but the true test will be when he walks in at 4/100.

I must admit Symonds has been great in the first match of the summer so far. Picking up some wickets and made 50 odd with the bat.

I think with him it'll be more about consistency than anything with him. Keep going Symmo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played very well in India without really having to thrash the ball around. This gave me the evidence i needed to know that he can still bat out innings pretty well.

I would say, because he probably won't get a bat in this test, he is safe for the Indian test. History shows that he plays well at the MCG, so providing he can at least score a few runs, you would think he would play until the boxing day test

There's some posters on this thread with the gun out, just waiting for Symonds to fail when it matters, so they can immediately call for his head.

The fact is, selectors won't dump him after one failure (if it even happens) when he's steadily been building his value to the team from the opportunities he's had. Plus they know the ceiling on his potential is far higher than the likes of Katich, Hodge or Watson - he could be anything if he can replicate his one day record.

He's served his time for his poor early career form and since his recall has done little wrong. Not cemented yet, no, but he'd need a fair run of failures before the selectors will discard him.

I'm sure he'll get there, he's in great touch, is confident and seems more at ease in the whites than he used to be. Plus, lets face it, the quality of the world's bowlers is getting weaker each year.

Symonds

i read a lot of posts on here and still wonder why some don't rate Symonds as a test player and want a guy like Watson in the team when he is fit . For me Symonds is ten times the player Watson is , i'd like to know what others think now? PS. Symmo doesnt cry when he gets injured either:thumbsu:big plus

Re: Symonds

I doubt there'd be many people you described actually. Most people on here want a batsman at 6 (i.e. Adam Voges or David Hussey).

Two unbeaten half-centuries have taken a bit of pressure off Symonds.

At some point, he's going to have the chance to convert one of those starts into a big score.

i read a lot of posts on here and still wonder why some don't rate Symonds as a test player and want a guy like Watson in the team when he is fit.
I don't think many rate Watson.

But I think the jury is still out on Symonds. He is yet to cement his spot.

I doubt there'd be many people you described actually. Most people on here want a batsman at 6 (i.e. Adam Voges or David Hussey).
Adam Voges is totally undeserving of a Test berth.

He's 28, so it's not like we'd be blooding a young gun. And he's scored 1833 runs at 38 in FC cricket.

Since when is that good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back