What economic crisis - Hawks will break the all time record membership total in 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually, most of my original post was not about the Hawks.

I was just stunned to see that some Vic clubs are almost at 30K already when others are only 5K- 10K. My point was than 2009 and beyond will see the rich (and well managed) getting richer and the not so rich fall further behind.
If Hawks/ Pies/ Dons / Eagles/ Crows all have 45K - 55k members then the AFL can make it very hard for clubs that have 25K and without big sponsorships to stay competitive.
This is not a good thing.

And No-name, we have over 40K last year so not much doubt we will top that next year. I look forward to having you on board.

A lot of people that signed up later last year will have signed up early this year due to the flag. No doubt your membership will increase but there's no way you'll get near 51,000. If you get past 40,000 I'll buy a Hawks membership myself.

Considering the fact that we got 46k this year, it looks like you're gonna be out of pocket. ;)

Bookmarked.

Are you sure it was 46,000 Phil?

According to the figures I've seen it was a touch over 41,000.

In any case if the usual increase after a Grand Final occurs they must be some sort of chance to get near 50,000.

The bigger question will be how all the knobs sprouting this shit all year are going to backpedal when North's membership total proves that the amount of opposition members who signed up last year really wasn't that big.

As you said, in these economic times you wouldn't expect any charity memberships to come our way.

What is your current membership?

10000? 12000? 15000?

would want to be somewhere around 15000 to top 30000 again.

A lot of people that signed up later last year will have signed up early this year due to the flag. No doubt your membership will increase but there's no way you'll get near 51,000. If you get past 40,000 I'll buy a Hawks membership myself.

Hahahahahahahahahaahahahaha:p

Dumbest thing i have read on BF for ages!

We were >40k last year you tool!!!

In any case if the usual increase after a Grand Final occurs they must be some sort of chance to get near 50,000.
Not sure about the actual figure but we kept signing up members even after the June cut off date, all the way til Sept.

I think a large chunk of our Gold members have signed up early as it guarentee's a GF ticket if we make it. It was sold out and 2008 members had to renew before the end of Nov i think?

What does "Fortius Quo Fidelius" translate to? I really want to say "In mediocraty we trust".....bit that would be nasty!:p:D

lol...We had 41,468 members this year.. We still have along way to go to get anywhere 50,000, and memberships will slow down after Xmas. If we get 45,000 I am sure the club will be happy. I do feel for NM though, they only had 6,361 signed up yesterday. A big effort for them to get to 30,000+ next year..I hope they get there..
What is pleasing so far is that we have over 5,500 new members..

These are a few memberships from yesterday;

Essendon 21,951
Collingwood 15,564 (that surprised me, seeing they are SO big)
Kangaroos 6,361
Richmond 12,135 match day 3326 non match day ???????
Carlton 21,860 (10/12/08)

Many clubs figures are up and the Hawks are aleady well over half way to be the first club to 51,000 members (over 27K ticketed already).

Footy will be bigger than ever next year with Blues, Tiges, Hawks, Pies & Bombers likely to be over 40K.

That will put even more pressure on the weaker teams if they can only get 25K members.
I have a feeling that the divide between rich and poor is going to widen.
Watch for relocation packages to GC & WS to be on the agenda again in 2009/10 as the AFL uses the 'GFC' to get what they want.
Something to be proud of...

bandwagon.jpeg

You Hawk fans have alot to thank Buddy Franklin for. The guy is going to sell tens of thousands of memberships over his career.

Sure, you won the premiership and have a very talented team. But its the 'buddy fever' that gives your club most of its buzz. Your very lucky to have him.
I would suspect that Richmond will gain quite a few new members next year with the Cousins factor, looking back to when Judd started at Carlton, how many new members would you think they gained? I know it would be hypothetical, but you would probably have some idea

lol...We had 41,468 members this year.. We still have along way to go to get anywhere 50,000, and memberships will slow down after Xmas. If we get 45,000 I am sure the club will be happy. I do feel for NM though, they only had 6,361 signed up yesterday. A big effort for them to get to 30,000+ next year..I hope they get there..
I think North started later than a lot of the other clubs. You can't compare all the memberships totals yet as some have only been going for a few weeks or a month. West Cost on the other hand required you to send in your renewal more than a month ago. We would already have 40,000 members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think North started later than a lot of the other clubs. You can't compare all the memberships totals yet as some have only been going for a few weeks or a month. West Cost on the other hand required you to send in your renewal more than a month ago. We would already have 40,000 members.
A great effort by WC, if you already have 40,000 members. It sure makes a big difference if there are only 2 clubs in a big state like W.A. How many did you end up with this year?

FGS, How much space did you posters take up, and brag about with Cousins? And it is still going on..A media circus if ever there was one..Don't know about anyone else, but enough is enough!! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!! sheesh

Yeah we did......but most of it was on our board, stick to your own and noone has a problem,

If you want to wank over it do it in private

Yeah we did......but most of it was on our board, stick to your own and noone has a problem,

If you want to wank over it do it in private
EXCUSE ME!!! On YOUR board, there were more Richmond posters on the AFL board than your own...If you don't like what you read in here, then why bother coming here? The last time I looked we lived in a democracy, where freedom of speech is allowed!!! I thought that the magpies had the worst supporters, but yours leave them for dead!!

I would suspect that Richmond will gain quite a few new members next year with the Cousins factor, looking back to when Judd started at Carlton, how many new members would you think they gained? I know it would be hypothetical, but you would probably have some idea

Yeah, i know that alot of clubs have one or two marquee players. These are the ones who sell alot of memberships on the side. For Carlton its Fevola and Judd who gain us the most members. If these two fell out of the team, you would expect our membership to drop instantly by 5000-7000.

Same with the Hawks. If you took out Buddy, then you would lose members. Obviously it wont be as dramatic if it happened now as your the reining premiers. But when your team begins to wane in coming years, players like Buddy will retain members for you.

Thats why i said your lucky to have him. He's the kind of drawcard player that clubs would love to have.

Thank you FieryNayta, you are right when you say that most clubs have a marquee player, and I would probably agree,that player would draw somewhere around the figure you estimate. I would like to think we would get around the 45,000 mark this year, but who knows? In this current climate anything can happen. It's so much harder here in Vic, where there are 10 clubs vying for members, and sponsors. No doubt, it will be an interesting year in 2009, for many teams..:)

Remove this Banner Ad

What economic crisis - Hawks will break the all time record membership total in 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back