What hurts more? 2013 style win 3qtrs/lose in 4th, or 2014 style beat good teams/lose to crap teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

As title said, what hurts more?

Both are soul-crushing, heart breaking scenarios that leave fans at their wits end.

I'm scared for what 2015 is going to be...

Last year hands down.

Absolutely soul crushing to lose so many games by so little, especially after having decent leads in most of those games only to watch the opposition hit us with a tsunami of easy goals and pinch the game.
Im the opposite. Last year I questioned why we weren't good enough to get the job done. This year I know we are good enough but still cant get it done.

hmmmm.........totally contrasting from each other. Hopefully the stars align for 2015 and we can combine both seasons and really be a threat.
I couldn't believe people really thought we where top 4 (6-10 at best).
2013 we still had the "youth" factor, this year has probably been more disappointing (even though we are in a better position).

2014 hurts more. We ended 2013 with heaps of promise and introduced new coaches, Geoff Walsh and Dal. I couldn't wait for 2014 to start. I don't give a flying fxxx about next year.

2014 for sure.

Last year was heart breaking and just numbing like watching a train wreck in slow motion with the way we withered in the final quarters.
But I also lived in hope that by the following week our team would of learned its lessons .

This year just makes me really angry. Not knowing which team will turn up, having a team with no desire and no heart to put up a fight when the chips are down makes my blood boil.

Wtf...Hawks win was great to be at...Tigers 3rd q...Freo-Swans-Port wins were awesome.

Lets put some perspective...on this day 12 months ago after a 1 pt loss our Finals were dead and I was devastated.

1 year on to the day I am pissed off but Finals door is still open.

Where there's life there's hope and the Finals door is still open regardless of form.

At this point 2013: the 2014 good and bad have been better, it would much prefer to lose to Carlton by 23 then 1 point.

That Adelaide game last year was devastating. The past couple of seasons the club keeps building you up, has a good win and then ultimately fails to deliver the following week.

Of course there's still plenty of footy left and things can get a lot better or worse. A good finals win and this years turns to gold pretty quickly. Of course if we matched up against a seasoned finals team we could see a 2012 type final.

Logic says last year, as we are still in a good spot to make finals...and yet it is this year has been worse for me. I expected much more this year and am just about out of patience.
And our bad has been far worse and far more often and far more predictable.

Absolutely 2014.

Last year we played the best looking footy in the comp. Sure the losses were shattering but the devastation was more in the moments immediately after each game. This year I feel more despondent for far longer.

At least when we lost last year it seemed like a little final qtr refinement was all that was needed. Everything else was positive and the promise of improvement felt almost certain. How can anyone now be as confident that we'll actually improve?

I just don't know where we're at. Are we experiencing a Richmond style false hope (they regularly beat Sydney / Hawks the last few years) or a Hawthorn / Geelong style teething stage to be followed by an imminent period of success? For the last couple of years the optimist in me has felt the latter, but I'm now more worried we're just another Richmond.

This year for sure. We ended 2012 with a mindset that we had to compete with the best, we got thrown down a tough draw but we gave it a crack and ****ed it up big time a hell of a lot. We added polish, our kids got older and stronger, our veterans seem to be playing better apart from Drew, we have a simple draw and we beat the best teams in the comp regularly but here we sit tottering on the edge of the 8. Absolutely pissed away a golden opportunity and seem destined to be bundled out first or second week by a side who probably know the simple game plan employed by malthouse, Buckley, Thompson et al.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2013 for me, mentally fragile and can't hold leads I found worse than choosing when to turn up.

2014 can still be saved, we win a final and suddenly the memory of Waite running into an open goal is gone. I honestly still think we're good and that we'll beat Geelong and only lose to Adelaide for the rest of the year. Who knows, maybe this pissweak attitude is going to pay off when we rock up to the finals feeling fresher than most. Imagine playing Port in the first round, the team that gave 100% and ran out of legs against the team that played to their best 3-4 times and is ready to explode.

Also 2013 left that "are we actually any good?" question lingering about, I don't have those doubts this year. WE ARE GOOD! No questions about it, we're just prone to being outworked. That's it.

I'm proud of my group of lazy campaigners who pull off upset after upset, go win me a final!!

If we give that effort in a final however.... **** **** **** **** **** **** sack everybody.

What about the 2010/11 style of losses? Beat all the bottom teams but get monstered by the better teams. A new season, a new way of having our pants pulled down.

2011 is underrated as a terrible year, we went back and forth between getting belted and the umpires finding humorous ways to cost us the game.

Loss 1: Selwood gets the ball, tackled legally, flings his head back, not paid. Shuey picks the ball up, rams his head into Rawlings, paid. Goal. Game Over.
Loss 2: 87 points to Collingwood.
Loss 3: 5 goals to Freo before we knew they weren't terrible.
Loss 4: 6.13 to 11.2 in second half, Dustin Martin ducks for a free kick to put the Tigers in front.
Loss 5: 66 point belting from the Cats.
Loss 6: Simon Black throws the ball, everybody stops except one Brisbane player who runs into goal and kicks the sealer.
Loss 7: this
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2-7 and season over 10 rounds in.

EDIT: Found the Martin Free Kick
EDIT 2: Also found the Shuey one

2011 sucked

Last edited:
so it would appear we have traded in our 3 bogey teams being Syd, Freo and Hawthorn to Carlton, Suns and Adelaide?

out recent record over Essendon is hardly flattering either.

What about the 2010/11 style of losses? Beat all the bottom teams but get monstered by the better teams. A new season, a new way of having our pants pulled down.

So what is coming in 2015?

2014 by a long shot. In 2013 we were building but in 2014 we were set for a positive season with one or two finals wins. NOW not sure we will make the finals plus if we do we are likely to go out first game. If so will we get 40k+ members in 2015????

Remove this Banner Ad

What hurts more? 2013 style win 3qtrs/lose in 4th, or 2014 style beat good teams/lose to crap teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back