What is the pass mark for Collingwood 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

lemon chicken

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2008
Mordialloc
AFL Club
Essendon
After the finals loss this year Bucks made some alarming statements in his presser re: the club culture and as a result has culled some former premiership stars to bring in young kids/early picks to learn his way rather than back his own coaching ability to get the most out of the mature aged list. IMO this is a pretty bold thing to do and makes a few things public that most likely wouldn't have been had he chosen not to go this way. This is a perfectly reasonable thing to do as he obviously has the backing of the board but it does put some pressure on him as the coach to change the things he found to be stopping his side from improving its ladder position. If the Pies fail to make the 8 in 2014 will the supporters be happy with the alleged bad culture no longer around or should we expect to see instant results?

They've been near the top for ages and if they have to fall down the ladder for a few seasons, so be it (though I don't see that happening in 2014). The talent they're bringing in is more than enough to replace the guys leaving, so they've done a good job in those terms.

Don't expect a whole lot from them next year now that they've cut out one of the best running backs in the league among a few other experienced losses, but they've handled the 2012 and 2013 exchange periods very well.
Buckley's a very good coach that was in charge of players that still wanted Malthouse. He'll do very well with the boys that have come into the club: Adams, White, Grundy, Dwyer, Kennedy, etc.
I'd back them to challenge as soon as 2 or 3 years from now - but they won't be in for any beatings in 2014, they'll just be thereabouts all year much like 2013, but less in touch with the top four as they were midway through the year.

I think they have temporarily shut their window (it was pretty close to closing anyway) but have set up a massive chance in 2015-2016 onwards.

In 2-3 years time players their core players like Pendles, Cloke, Beams, Reid will still be performing at a high level. O'Brien, Goldsack, Toovey, Brown, Blair and Sidebottom makeup a pretty solid second rung. Could maybe include Dwyer.

Below that you have a lot of young kids with great potential who would benefit from an extra 2-3 years of experience. Grundy, Adams, Seedsman, Elliot, Thomas, Kennedy etc. along with the 2 top 10 picks they have this year.

I think they are in a very good position to contend in the upcoming years. A solid core group of high level players with a great backup cast and some young kids who will be filling up spots and hitting their straps.

It all depends how well they recruit this year and the next to see where they go. Improvement is the key this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G2rBbly.jpg

I think we can make top 4. We have only lost heath shaw who actually regularly played. We also fall into the easier category for the draw

I see improvement from the group i see no reason why we would go backwards.

We played good football towards the end if that can continue we will be up and about.

6-8 is expected, much the same as this year I'd think (I pegged us for 6th this year back in May/June) where it's easier to tell halfway through the year!

Spine is still very, very young. Swan, Ball, Cloke, H and Toovey are the oldest on the list practically now. Maxwell is not best 22 and Ball only the likely retirement of those players.

They're in an extremely good position for the next tilt considering the age and names of the other players.

Especially after Ablett almost broke the record for disposals last year against them.

Sun 3 Jun 2012 Collingwood v Gold Coast MCG 149-52 G. Ablett 53

Yeah, he had a better game in 2012. Notice the score though?

The Pies (2013 game) playing in the last 5 minutes of the game because they suddenly released they were going to lose it was the real problem. It was really disrespectful and served themselves right. Good on the Suns, it was an admirable effort on their part. Although it caused Pies to pull their finger out consequently, especially Swan, they came out and thumped Sydney (goalless for almost a half), Essendon and West Coast (record thumping) only to go back in their shells. Sign of an inexperienced team, or at least the bottom half of the team.

Apart from certain other Coaches at other clubs, most notably the Pies contemporaries in 2010, future is bright. :thumbsu:

Sun 3 Jun 2011 Collingwood v Gold Coast MCG 149-52 G. Ablett 53

Yeah, he had a better game in 2011. Notice the score though?

The Pies playing in the last 5 minutes of the game because they suddenly released they were going to lose it was the real problem. It was really disrespectful and served themselves right. They pulled their finger out consequently, came out and thumped Sydney, Essendon and West Coast (record thumping) only to go back in their shells. Sign of an inexperienced team, or at least the bottom half of the team.
That game was indicative of our year. Played spasmodically, which is what you expect from a team full of young kids. And we are fielding the 5th youngest team in the comp but also the 5th most experienced. Which means lots of kids getting lots of game time. The expectations of a team so young have to be tempered somewhat.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the pass mark for Collingwood 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back