What is the pass mark for Collingwood 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a big deal. Marley Williams better than Shaw this year. His kicking is suspect (so is shaws though) but was never beaten one and one and taught players of Rioli's class a lesson. Reckon he was the most improved on the Pies list this year and has more upside. Hence he got a 3 year deal a month or two back where Shaw other got kicked out of the club.
Williams has mongrel too. Lots of it. Doesn't look to be a member of Mensa tho!

I recall a poster in this thread happy with using a first rounder on Jolly and the following year a first rounder on Ceglar and Krakouer yet now its an inherited deficiency.

Can't agree with this, Bucks delisted Wood who was probably as good as Hudson has been as a back-up to play VFL, delisted Ceglar who has played games for the premiers this year and traded Dawes who could pinch hit in the ruck and had the ability to work well in tandem with Cloke. This 'inherited deficiency' was able to win a premiership under a different coach.

Our rucks have mostly been a shambles for the last 20 years mostly, Ceglar and Wood were certainly not the answer. Hudson has already given plenty of value, even only playing a few games he's done well when needed, and helped out Grundy and Witts in the VFL.

I recall a poster in this thread happy with using a first rounder on Jolly and the following year a first rounder on Ceglar and Krakouer yet now its an inherited deficiency.

Krakouer nearly won us a flag with 3 goals in a GF so it almost paid off. Not sure why Ceglar wasnt persevered with. Time will tell whether recruiting him with a first round pick was a mistake or sacking him was. They were trades done in compromised drafts regardless. Hine wasnt interested in participating at the pointy end of that draft. The year prior we landed Jamie Elliott the same way.

Can't agree with this, Bucks delisted Wood who was probably as good as Hudson has been as a back-up to play VFL, delisted Ceglar who has played games for the premiers this year and traded Dawes who could pinch hit in the ruck and had the ability to work well in tandem with Cloke. This 'inherited deficiency' was able to win a premiership under a different coach.
Ceglar is so good hawks recruited 1 ruckman and are still after another. Wood had his chances and wasn't wasn't up to it. Having tall blokes onm the list is not the same as having good ruck options. Hudson is a quality ruckman. His age limits his games but he is better now than either Wood or ceglar will ever be. Grundy and Witts started 2013 as no game kids with Grundy not even able to train in the pre season. They are now a year older and Grundy at least has show that he has serious promise and should be playedc - body permitting. The trading of dawes I disagreed with but Grundy was one of the 3 first round dratees.

The team that won the 2010 flag had a fit Jolly and Brown. Dawes didn't ruck in 2010 and was not effective in the ruck in 2011. That was actually why his form fell away IMO. Brown was ready to call stumps and Jolly was on one leg and old (body wise at least).

Top 6 for mine as a minimum - too much talent in the midfield and a few very good KPP at both ends. Not sold on Buckley as a coach but talent wise, he has the cattle to work with.

I'd expect if they miss the 8, the pressure will start to mount on Buckley.

Despite absolutely killing every trade and draft period, they have continually gone backwards every year after Malthouse has left. The less stamp Malthouse has and the more stamp Buckley has, the team gets worse. Would want to buck the trend pretty damn quickly.

Despite absolutely killing every trade and draft period, they have continually gone backwards every year after Malthouse has left. The less stamp Malthouse has and the more stamp Buckley has, the team gets worse. Would want to buck the trend pretty damn quickly.

We have mostly drafted. You dont expect instant results from your first year players.

I think Buckley did a great job in 2012. Lot of injuries. Mick didn't ever get us to do much in the injury struck years. 2013 was less impressive on the ground although in the off ground stuff Buckley thrived. Understand it's the on ground that counts. So I feel one good one not so good year for Bucks. If he gets an injury free run in 2014 that's when he has to put results on the board. If not questions will be asked. TPP 8 alone won't be enough.

Good picks=/=instant success
I have revised my pass mark. Would like top 6 after H&A at a minimum for pass mark.

Fully expect to make finals.

Top 4 can still materialise if a few of our youngsters kick on and reach the next level quicker but there is still plenty of top end talent in Pendles, Swan, Beams, Cloke, Reid, Sidebottom and Ball.

Youngsters like Elliott, Fasolo, Grundy, Kennedy, Broomhead, Adams, Keeffe, J.Thomas, Williams and Seedsman plus more early draft choices on the way hold us in really good stead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have mostly drafted. You dont expect instant results from your first year players.

As a supporter, when do you feel will be the appropriate time for Bucks to be held accountable? One more season / pre-season to get your youth up to speed? Longer?

Personally I believe the Pies have the cattle to make the 8 and play finals next season, but as an outsider Bucks seems to lack people skills which may hamper him from taking them all the way. It's like it's his way or the highway. Surely this approach cant continue indefinitely.

Have I formed the wrong impression of how things are traveling right now at Collingwood or do you see a little bit of this as well?

All things being equal, Pies will finish top 2 in 2014.

After consistently playing the other top 4 teams twice during the home and away rounds over the past 4 or 5 years, we have the luxury of having only to play one of Sydney, Geelong, Hawthorn and Fremantle twice (assuming we play Carlton twice). That will be one relatively easy draw.

Plenty of talent at the top end and also coming through, set up beautifully to continue contending over the short to medium term.

In 2014, the dynasty begins.

As a supporter, when do you feel will be the appropriate time for Bucks to be held accountable? One more season / pre-season to get your youth up to speed? Longer?

Personally I believe the Pies have the cattle to make the 8 and play finals next season, but as an outsider Bucks seems to lack people skills which may hamper him from taking them all the way. It's like it's his way or the highway. Surely this approach cant continue indefinitely.

Have I formed the wrong impression of how things are traveling right now at Collingwood or do you see a little bit of this as well?
You tell us - being a Tigers fan, how did Collingwood look in THAT third quarter (you know the one I'm talking about).

Flag isn't out of the question, but a lot will need to go right, including improvement from our U21 brigade, injuries, improved coaching etc, one of our new draftees being in RS contention wouldn't hurt either, I have us 5th overall.

Based on the fact we had our equal worst finish last year in the past eight years yet still played finals?

Yeah, things are terrible at Collingwood.

Not saying things are terrible at Collingwood. <sigh>

I'm asking you guys what your assessment of Buckley is. He'll determine how far you go next season and beyond, and the pass mark for the Pies in 2014 is the exact same for Bucks.

Flag isn't out of the question, but a lot will need to go right, including improvement from our U21 brigade, injuries, improved coaching etc, one of our new draftees being in RS contention wouldn't hurt either, I have us 5th overall.
I think a flag is out of the question. Your backline is still very lack lustre.

Excellent midfield will have you winning more than you lose but won't go deep unless the back half magically clicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the pass mark for Collingwood 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back