What is with Essendon recruiting everyone from interstate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carn the abo's from w.a best stock goin around! leroy jetta, bloody brilliant! bombers top 4 next year!:D

Don't think they would appreciate the slang champ!
It could be that Essendon are a rabble!They have no idea in the board room.Chuck in a sacrificial coaching staff and will, like Carlton wear a few spoons in order to re-build

It all started when they used a loophole in the draft to steal Hird from us :thumbsu:

These days its probably based on the fact that Essendon have only recruited one half decent player since 2000-2001 (Adam McPhee).... and he came from Freo's list. The Dons just dont trust their eye for locals and have been woefully poor recruiters for too long.

Wasn't aware of any loophole. Sydney overlooked Hird because they didn't think he was good enough to play AFL. Most people at Essendon believed the same but His Grandfather convinced them to take a punt on him. He was on the Essendon board at the time. He said that Jimi would not let them down.

Essendons drafting was poor from 1999-2004 but we didn't get many low picks as we were successful during this period. You would be able to relate to this as Sydneys drafting has been poor in the last 3 years, possibly because you guys havent had many low picks?

Ridiculous statement that Essendon don't have an eye for locals, the fact is the best talent in this years draft was in W.A. Every single club and recruiter acknowledged this and it really shows how uneducated you are to presume that is was in fact because they simply don't have an eye for locals. :D:thumbsu:

U have a 2 yr memory by the looks of it.

Show us the wealth of talent u recruited between 2000 and 2005 other than the one i mentioned....then show yourself why u've struggled for 6 yrs or more now.

When your window is open u top up to keep yourself in with a chance....not all clubs have the luxury of being able to regroup with kids over a few yrs by finishing down the s-bend.

How bout you show us which talented kids Sydney has drafted in the last 5 years. I can't recall them drafting one decent kid in any of the last 3 NAB drafts. :thumbsu:

Might be good players, but the home sickness factor shouldn't be underestimated. Players generally want to return home at some stage, which becomes a problem. ala. Judd.

I don't think it is a massive issue at all.

If it was there would be a mass exodus across the border at the end of each season as players come out of contract.

It just so happened that Judd is a brownlow medalist and got plenty of press when he left. The shear quantity of print over his "homesickness" (an excuse IMO) blew the issue up to be bigger than it really is.

I don't think we have ever been wary of the go home factor. I think we regard ourselves as a stable club who is able to keep our draftees. I hope we continue to draft interstate players if it continues to deliver talent such as:
Ryder
Dempsey
Gumbleton
Jetta
Myers
and Pears

Wasn't aware of any loophole. Sydney overlooked Hird because they didn't think he was good enough to play AFL. Most people at Essendon believed the same but His Grandfather convinced them to take a punt on him. He was on the Essendon board at the time. He said that Jimi would not let them down.
I think he was taking the piss...

I have noticed that in recent years a bulk of Essendon's recruits have been from interstate. Has anyone else noticed this?

whats with everyone bagging or critising essendon recruiting staff? not that you were (hard to tell sometimes) but others do.. it seems like people try to put essendon down in any way possible.. first we recruit players way too old now we recruit too many players from interstate....

I have no problem with the Bombers recruiting quality players from interstate, I was just making an observation and asking if anyone else had noticed.

Being a Bombers fan, I beleive that Sheedy was removed so that Essendon could rebuild (and these days there is only one way to rebuild quickly... finish low on the ladder). This way Sheedy's record wont be ruined, and he will go down as one of the greatest coaches ever. I really hope i am wrong.

I have no problem with the Bombers recruiting quality players from interstate, I was just making an observation and asking if anyone else had noticed.

Being a Bombers fan, I beleive that Sheedy was removed so that Essendon could rebuild (and these days there is only one way to rebuild quickly... finish low on the ladder). This way Sheedy's record wont be ruined, and he will go down as one of the greatest coaches ever. I really hope i am wrong.

If they were just protecting Sheedy's record, they would have kicked him out a few years ago when the slide started. On top of that, it would take more then a few years of rebuilding to tarnish Sheeds record as a coach.

whats with everyone bagging or critising essendon recruiting staff? not that you were (hard to tell sometimes) but others do.. it seems like people try to put essendon down in any way possible.. first we recruit players way too old now we recruit too many players from interstate....

Honestly, until the last two years, I thought we did have the worst recruiting staff on the planet. A fine era that brought us McAlister, Henneman, McGrath, Lalich, Richards, Bullen, McAlister again, Walsh, etc. We now have a 4-5 year age gap where the only people we have are either recruited from another club (McPhee) or climbed in the hard way as rookies (NLM and Lovett).

Its only been the relatively success of Stants, Monfries, Winders, Ryder etc that have made our recruiters look anywhere near like they know what they are doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

where have you been living for the past 5 years?

Honestly, until the last two years, I thought we did have the worst recruiting staff on the planet. A fine era that brought us McAlister, Henneman, McGrath, Lalich, Richards, Bullen, McAlister again, Walsh, etc. We now have a 4-5 year age gap where the only people we have are either recruited from another club (McPhee) or climbed in the hard way as rookies (NLM and Lovett).

Its only been the relatively success of Stants, Monfries, Winders, Ryder etc that have made our recruiters look anywhere near like they know what they are doing.

mate, take the blinkers off. until the bombers play finals footy regularly, the jury on our recruiting will still be out.

Hate to say it, amigo, but WA has the best juniors at this point in time and as an Essendon supporter, I couldn't give a rats if ALL their players were from the west!!! Plus continuing the tradition of Tony Buhagiar, Leon Baker and Billy Duckworth, Essendon is Little Perth!!

Remove this Banner Ad

What is with Essendon recruiting everyone from interstate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back