What should be the penalty for tanking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Other clubs tanked, but I'm convinced it was more systemic - if that's possible - at the Dees. There was pressure to make moves to deliberately lose. Even the President knew it was happening. Trouble is - it's almost impossible to prove

Mmatch fixing has the element of gambling and profiteering off losing.

Anyone that is tied to a clun and tries to profit off the result gets punished as it is. Don't punish tanking, but continue to punish players and coaches that bet.

So if a friend of a friend gets whiff that the club is tanking for the rest of the year and bets on it, that's not match fixing? WHile they aren't deliberately losing in order to allow people to win money, it's still deliberately throwing a match.

It doesn't matter because none of the clubs accused of it have enough evidence against them to support a case.
So the coach pretty much insinuating that he was asked to tank, a player stating he left due to tanking, players obviously played out of position and the fact that Melbourne had 56 interchanges against Richmond when they averaged 92 isn't enough evidence?

Should have their compensation picks taken away. A very hefty fine and possibly even suspend them from top 30 draft pick this year.

Is it tanking if you can no longer make the finals and begin experimenting with younger players?
Not necessarily to lose so you get good picks, but to give experience into younger blokes so they will be better come next year.

So you would say Melbourne fixed the game against Richmond in 09 in which they were beaten after the siren went?

They did their very best to lose, and as someone on a footy show said the other night, it was just a coincidence that all their ******ed moves actually paid off. No one can be absolutely 100% sure that they can throw a match.

But just look at the Badminton in the Olympics, I'm sure they weren't fixing the matches, and yet they still got disqualified, and with good reason. Make Melbourne and Carlton sit out a year. I'm sure we'd all love that. ;)

They did their very best to lose, and as someone on a footy show said the other night, it was just a coincidence that all their ******ed moves actually paid off. No one can be absolutely 100% sure that they can throw a match.

But just look at the Badminton in the Olympics, I'm sure they weren't fixing the matches, and yet they still got disqualified, and with good reason. Make Melbourne and Carlton sit out a year. I'm sure we'd all love that. ;)

The sad thing is about that specific game was that my team was actually trying its heart out to win and still only won because of a after the siren kick.

They were serving it straight into the net. They were purposely trying to lose to get an easier opponent in the next round. That is match fixing.

What about the other 3-4 teams that also tanked?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the coach pretty much insinuating that he was asked to tank, a player stating he left due to tanking, players obviously played out of position and the fact that Melbourne had 56 interchanges against Richmond when they averaged 92 isn't enough evidence?

No. A disgruntled coach making big statements immediately after being fired, as well as proving over his tenure he wasn't much of a coach anyway, and an ex-player who assumed what was called experimenting by the club was tanking, those are subjective statements and not enough evidence to support a real case. The rest of the game is circumstantial, we only lost the game by a kick after the siren, until the end the strategy was working pretty well, also the club could argue that while winning may not have been the top priority, development, resting older players, experimentation and preparation for 2010 after that season was already shot was the top priority. (We went into the first five games of 2010 with one poor game, three wins, and a one point loss to the eventual premiers, so that argument actually holds some weight.) All clubs do this when finals are out of the picture. West Coast did it in 2010 and they weren't tanking. Would you remove a coaches right to coach their team the way they want?

You can't prove that we were trying to lose that match, as all the evidence is circumstantial. The difference between the AFL tanking and the Chinese badminton tanking is that the Chinese players were quite deliberately trying to lose. Not one AFL player has gone into a match trying to lose. Again, it's not match fixing, just list management decisions that change the odds which would be reflected by betting agencies.

You can't prove that we were trying to lose that match, as all the evidence is circumstantial. The difference between the AFL tanking and the Chinese badminton tanking is that the Chinese players were quite deliberately trying to lose. Not one AFL player has gone into a match trying to lose. Again, it's not match fixing, just list management decisions that change the odds which would be reflected by betting agencies.

List management + Coaches instructions

As much as Melbourne should have been punished, and others before them, I think handing a penalty to Melbourne now long after the horse has bolted is just going to cripple them on-field and an uncompetitive Melbourne is not good for footy.

The penalty for tanking?

None!!!!!!!

Your ONLY job as Senior coach is to win a Premiership the best way you know how
If the AFL makes it obvious that your better rewarded finishing last over second last then you are an idiot if you do not take it

Even a 5 year old could make laws up that would stop this from happening. Simply have lottery system on which set of laws apply each year. Like one year the draw would say the draft is the same as is now, next years draw may say its the last three teams that go in another draw for 1st round picks and so on

So the AFL Coaches have no idea which system will be used at the next AFL draft

Again why should anyone be penalized for the AFL not doing their job right

The point is there are no guarantees even then, as we have seen with the Kruezer cup, we now know Cotchin would have been the better pick same with Melbourne's reward for tanking, they got it wrong.

The cost for the clubs that do tank is pretty obvious if you look at the way Melbourne players throw games when it all gets to hard, 186 is what can await those that dabble with deliberately losing.

I don't think anyone really even knows what exactly tanking is and whether or not you can even distinguish it from a side that is genuinely bad.

Is a team playing young guys and guys out of position tanking, or just seeing if they can get something more out of players or getting experience into young players. You often see teams that are doing well play forwards in the back line early in their career to do things like improve their defensive pressure. If a team has a lot of young and/or average players why should we punish them for doing this kinda stuff?

I don't think anyone really even knows what exactly tanking is and whether or not you can even distinguish it from a side that is genuinely bad.
Blind Freddy would beg to differ.

Remove this Banner Ad

What should be the penalty for tanking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back