Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

If north match the bombers bid and the bombers walk away, is McKay obliged to take the north deal even if it’s less than what north were allegedly offering initially?

North would be matching the Bombers terms, so yes he would be obliged to take it or sit out a year (or years).

I know the AFL would allow it for Nth, but hopefully they ensure that the Bombers don’t salary dump someone to Nth to ensure pick 3 as compo. Could easily see Nth handing over their ‘free’ pick for a player on an inflated salary, then the bombers bumping their McKay $ up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely, we can pick up mckay in psd for a year.

Sign him up for a 2 million contract for only one year. Then ship him to Essendon for some compensation for the troubles?

It's a win win for all parties. McKay gets a sugar hit contract. We don't lose our draft positioning and get compesenation when we trade him to Essendon.

As for what Essendon get less rough negotiations and perhaps a pick or salary spending from us

Heard before longest kick yesterday, Pickle eyes as my kids call him - Jon Ralph said current Bombers bid on McKay wasn't going to get Norf pick 3. But Norf would simply just match then. So was on Bombers to up their contract if they want him.

Dodoro won't go for deal that gets Norf pick 3, got me thinking what dodgy deal will they come up with. Do Bombers ensure pick 3, but on proviso Norf hands back pick 19 or one of Future end of first rounders.
Well at least pickle eyes looks to have something right. Our ITK says Essendon are willing to force a trade and offer 2×second rounders for McSpud because they dont want to push back their first pick. This should be a fun watch.

North would be matching the Bombers terms, so yes he would be obliged to take it or sit out a year (or years).

I know the AFL would allow it for Nth, but hopefully they ensure that the Bombers don’t salary dump someone to Nth to ensure pick 3 as compo. Could easily see Nth handing over their ‘free’ pick for a player on an inflated salary, then the bombers bumping their McKay $ up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That would look very, very bad even for the AFL. To allow a dodgy trade with a "free" pick that was handed out to Norf to manipulate an outcome would certainly get pitchforks marching all the way to AFL house.

8110z7.jpg

Yes if all is guaranteed in footy , which it isn't.
WC need good draftees , give us three picks in the first round or two very high first rounders and a f2 and Eagles could swoop .
I'm torn , security in multiple good picks is soothing .

H Reid would be amazing to have in the squad no doubt , can we have both maybe Eagles find a way .

WC need good draftees , give us three picks in the first round or two very high first rounders and a f2 and Eagles could swoop .

H Reid would be amazing to have in the squad no doubt , can we have both maybe Eagles find a way .
Yes, we can have both. It's called the 2024 draft.

Important thing is that we don't downgrade for Curtin, but there's no sign we're particularly interested in him, just people guessing cos he's from WA.
Don't mind Curtin but not for a top 5 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard before longest kick yesterday, Pickle eyes as my kids call him - Jon Ralph said current Bombers bid on McKay wasn't going to get Norf pick 3. But Norf would simply just match then. So was on Bombers to up their contract if they want him.

Dodoro won't go for deal that gets Norf pick 3, got me thinking what dodgy deal will they come up with. Do Bombers ensure pick 3, but on proviso Norf hands back pick 19 or one of Future end of first rounders.

I doubt Essendon would risk losing out on McKay to avoid moving one place lower, if they say they are going to offer contract X and we say we are going to match that to his manager then it would be risky to go down that route. His player might not get to where he prefers to be and it might cost a lot more than just money for the Bombers. The talent pool where Essendon's pick is going to be seems fairly even, I think it will be a very hard phantom draft to predict accurately, so it is not like they don't want their pick to fall off a cliff.

If he doesn't move via free agency it will be a bad result for Essendon, they will either have to do a trade or take him in the draft with a decent pick and McKay wouldn't be thrilled with rolling the dice on which state he will end up. There is no way he would enter the PSD, he will end up in Perth.

I doubt Essendon would risk losing out on McKay to avoid moving one place lower, if they say they are going to offer contract X and we say we are going to match that to his manager then it would be risky to go down that route. His player might not get to where he prefers to be and it might cost a lot more than just money for the Bombers. The talent pool where Essendon's pick is going to be seems fairly even, I think it will be a very hard phantom draft to predict accurately, so it is not like they don't want their pick to fall off a cliff.

If he doesn't move via free agency it will be a bad result for Essendon, they will either have to do a trade or take him in the draft with a decent pick and McKay wouldn't be thrilled with rolling the dice on which state he will end up. There is no way he would enter the PSD, he will end up in Perth.
We won’t take the ambling spud, you touched him last. Band 2 compo is laughable let alone band 1.

Why would he end up in Perth?

We won’t take the ambling spud, you touched him last. Band 2 compo is laughable let alone band 1.

Free Agency compensation isn't a matter of opinion, it is based on how much they are being paid, age, etc. Swans were prepared to pay him more than Essendon, he just didn't want to go to NSW. The risk in the PSD is still there should he opt for that route, players don't take that kind of risk lightly. It doesn't seem like a realistic option. If they were last on the ladder, then absolutely.

Free Agency compensation isn't a matter of opinion, it is based on how much they are being paid, age, etc. Swans were prepared to pay him more than Essendon, he just didn't want to go to NSW. The risk in the PSD is still there should he opt for that route, players don't take that kind of risk lightly. It doesn't seem like a realistic option. If they were last on the ladder, then absolutely.
Well aware of that. Point I’m making is the FA system is a joke. He’s worth a mid 2nd round at absolute best on ability. One of our punters suggested McKay nominate for the PSD, we’ll take him on a huge 1 year contract then send him to Essendon for a band 1 pick 12 months later.

Don’t think it’ll be because Essendon are worried about moving down a spot (you’d assume they’d be happy with multiple players around their pick), but Dodoro strikes me as the petty sort to just shaft other teams and not hand over high rated picks for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back