Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

And on principle we should just say no to Dodoro.
And that maggot gary lyon. Ideal scenario would be the club is close to certain on taking Reid and is just playing possum to watch all these grubby victorian teams fall over themselves to try and get a trade done only to knock them all back and take him anyway, hopefully messing up their trade/draft plans in the process.

Lol, let's not kid ourselves, the difference between Harley and the next best talents (Curtin, McKercher, and Walter) isn't just big, it's monumental. I'm not talking this kid up because of the hype and us potentially getting him, I'm talking him up because of what I saw from him live against WA. The shit this kid did on that night made me a believer. He's just a beast, it's as simple as that. You can always find a Curtin or McKercher in any draft, but Harley Reids don't show up that often. I personally believe that the asking price for Pick 1 this year will be 5 first rounders, which I know is insane, and no team in their right mind will pay that, but that's that point, we ain't trading it unless we get that godfather offer and that's a godfather offer, not picks 2 and 3 or the shit Demons are supposedly offering.

Last edited:

And that maggot gary lyon. Ideal scenario would be the club is close to certain on taking Reid and is just playing possum to watch all these grubby victorian teams fall over themselves to try and get a trade done only to knock them all back and take him anyway, hopefully messing up their trade/draft plans in the process.

Yeah - even if intend on using it on Reid we just tell any suitors "sorry... we have received a better offer" even if we haven't.

Lol, let's not kid ourselves, the difference between Harley and the next best talents (Curtin, McKercher, and Walter) isn't just big, it's monumental. I'm not talking this kid up because of the hype and us potentially getting him, I'm talking him because of what I saw from him live against WA. The s**t this kid did on that night made me a believer. He's just a beast, it's as simple as that. You can always find a Curtin or McKercher in any draft, but Harley Reids don't show up that often. I personally believe that the asking price for Pick 1 this year will be 5 first rounders, which I know is insane, and no team in their right mind will pay that, but that's that point, we ain't trading it unless we get that godfather offer and that's a godfather offer, not picks 2 and 3 or the s**t Demons are supposedly offering.
Couldn't have said it any better. The kid is exactly what we have been crying out for for a very long time and has fallen into our lap. We just retired our 2 last Captains and our most marketable player, he's the perfect replacement number 9 and would bring a lot of excitement back for the fans who have sat through 2 years of the most insipid footy ever dished up by this club.

If they somehow figure it's in our best interest to trade down for a key defender who actually looks like a 3rd tall and some token "first round pick" because its a "fair" trade then they have well and truly lost the plot. The idea that it is a forgone conclusion that we are looking to trade it is either a victorian psyop born of envy or is the biggest indication yet that the administration needs to be completely turned over top to bottom because it is just plain negligence.

I didn't like trading down last year because it was our highest pick in a very long time but it made far more sense to do so then than it does now, and there are no 2 obvious options that we will realistically be able to pick up like a hewett and ginbey in this draft. If we faciliate a trade with melbourne for their loose change then the club needs to be folded.

Lol, let's not kid ourselves, the difference between Harley and the next best talents (Curtin, McKercher, and Walter) isn't just big, it's monumental. I'm not talking this kid up because of the hype and us potentially getting him, I'm talking him because of what I saw from him live against WA. The s**t this kid did on that night made me a believer. He's just a beast, it's as simple as that. You can always find a Curtin or McKercher in any draft, but Harley Reids don't show up that often. I personally believe that the asking price for Pick 1 this year will be 5 first rounders, which I know is insane, and no team in their right mind will pay that, but that's that point, we ain't trading it unless we get that godfather offer and that's a godfather offer, not picks 2 and 3 or the s**t Demons are supposedly offering.
This is what im saying and he was dominating the VFL against men...imagine what he will do next year and the year after...

He could kicked 6 goals that night and he ended up with 30 touches and he played mostly as a forward, took the piss.

to add to this and a comment i made earlier, we need to be ruthless. Stop with this mindset of he'll leave or whatever, we're WCE, not norf, biggest club in the country. Even if he leaves i doubt itll be after 2 years, would be at worse similar to Judd but by then we would be playing finals and will still get a huge haul for him when he's in his 20's.

Ginbey, Hewett and Reid is an elite big 3. We seriously went from no young midfield talent to potentially the best.

I think this is pretty close to what West Coast would accept tbh. The sticking point is the first pick needs to be GCS first and not Freo’s.

Would GCS trade back a place, pocket, Melbournes 2nd. They could still trade 6 for points with Bulldogs or another club.

That would guarantee one of McKercher or Duursma are there (assuming that North take Curtin and either North/Hawks take Watson).

So we’d be trading Reid for something like:

Pick 4 Duursma/McKercher
Pick 15 Tholstrup
Pick 24 Moir

Melbourne Future 1st ???

We’d also have our pick 19 (let’s say Hardeman).

So essentially 4 picks inside 25 at the draft.

Send 55+57 back to Melbourne.

Use 34/38 and future future 3rd to help trade in: Brockman, Robertson, Sweet/Flynn/Bryan.

I one off season that means bringing in McKercher/Duursma, Tholstrup Moir, Hardeman, Brockman, Robertson and a bargain first ruck.

That’s an incredible haul and would really support the transition of our list.

Many people wouldn’t like that trade, but it’s a lot closer to the mark than many would admit to and is actually very helpful for our rebuild.
No, make them bleed or no deal.

Definitely trade out pick 1 for a top 4/5 and 10ish pick if offered. We'll be better for it in the long run, we're so short on quality youngsters. It was only 9 months ago people were talking Chesser up as the second coming, picks aren't guaranteed.
I don’t recall anyone talking up Chesser.

I think the majority opinion on this board was Erasmus and Matt Johnson, and they weren’t seen as the second coming.

Chesser was not well known, and was a surprise until about a day before the draft.

H Reid has a much bigger profile and reputation than Chesser.

Last edited:
Definitely trade out pick 1 for a top 4/5 and 10ish pick if offered. We'll be better for it in the long run, we're so short on quality youngsters. It was only 9 months ago people were talking Chesser up as the second coming, picks aren't guaranteed.
All I'm hearing when people like yourself spout this sort of reactionary crap is trade petracca for paul ahern, blaine boekhorst and lukas webb.

We traded down last year because it made sense to, maybe we can trade down next year if it makes sense to. But why on earth should we trade down this year when it makes no sense to, just for trading down's sake?

It's a loser small club mentality. Not sure how many times this has to be said but we have the best retention in the league, big crowds, a big stadium, and the highest percentage of players over 150 games as premiership players in the AFL era. If we trade down we lose access to not only one of the best kids to come through in years, but we lose access to the next tier of players as well as it isn't a deep draft, and then the best players of the next tier are supposedly the biggest flight risks in the draft. So remind me again what we're saving ourselves from by trading down?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trades being suggested are like trading a large valuable gemstone for glass beads, safety pins and padlocks.

Our club has to be smarter than this. As for smug Gary Lyon …… seeking to subvert and undermine the draft system.

Most WA kids would want to stay in WA so we’ll share them with Fremantle, and the Victorians can stay in Victoria.

Not sure what happens to the national draft and competition then. Probably won’t be enough to have competitive teams in Qld and NSW but there you go.

The AFL needs to get a handle on this draft issue because it’s becoming problematic.

Last edited:
The trades being suggested are like trading a large valuable gemstone for glass beads, safety pins and padlocks.

Our club has to be smarter than this. As for smug Gary Lyon …… seeking to subvert and undermine the draft system.

Most WA kids would want to stay in WA so we’ll share them with Fremantle, and the Victorians can stay in Victoria.

Not sure what happens to the national draft and competition then. Probably won’t be enough to have competitive teams in Qld and NSW but there you go.

The AFL needs to get a handle on this draft issue because it’s becoming problematic.

It only ever works one way though, you never hear Patty Cripps or Buddy Franklin referred to as "WA Superstars" once they get drafted to a big Vic club.

For all the talk of "Reids not the clear number 1 anymore" or "the gap being not that big anymore", it sure as shit sounds like there's a lot of clubs scrambling to put an offer forward already.

WC don't need to do anything other than start meeting with Reid and let it be known we're keen on picking him.so he better get ready.

The offers will come but unless it's an absolute no brainer, have to take godfather deal, just take Reid.

End of the day you’re just a poster on a message board. Nobody knows who you are or who you hang out with… so what does it matter who you know that thinks we’ll trade the pick?

I hope I don’t need to read this every day up until draft night

You’ll be reading it and seeing it everywhere as trade period draws closer.

I suggest you get used to it.

Have we not learned our lessons from 2017? we were crying out for a midfielder in the draft. Instead, we draft Brander at 13, OAllen becomes too difficult to pass up at 21, and subsequently the only mid we get out of the draft is the legendary Ainsworth.

Brander didn't work out as a mid and we had to pay a small fortune to bring TKelly to the club.

Anyone wanting Curtin ahead of Reid because of midfield potential needs to have their head checked.

Christ, it really is going to be 3 months of trade scenarios isn't it?
Three months of the Vic media doing a full on Schrödingers balancing act between hes Chris Judd crossed with Gary Ablett but west coast should trade pick 1 for a packet of crisps and a condom that’s been used but thoroughly washed because he’s not good enough for anything more.

All I'm hearing when people like yourself spout this sort of reactionary crap is trade petracca for paul ahern, blaine boekhorst and lukas webb.

We traded down last year because it made sense to, maybe we can trade down next year if it makes sense to. But why on earth should we trade down this year when it makes no sense to, just for trading down's sake?

It's a loser small club mentality. Not sure how many times this has to be said but we have the best retention in the league, big crowds, a big stadium, and the highest percentage of players over 150 games as premiership players in the AFL era. If we trade down we lose access to not only one of the best kids to come through in years, but we lose access to the next tier of players as well as it isn't a deep draft, and then the best players of the next tier are supposedly the biggest flight risks in the draft. So remind me again what we're saving ourselves from by trading down?
Talk about going overboard, loser mentality? what are you going on about?.
We finished the year with a percentage of 50, our list is trash, only a few decent youngsters. I'd rather get 2 really good players compared to 1 gun, also Reid isn't guaranteed to be anything. If a club is after pick 1 and will pay overs it's worth it (has nothing to do with flight risks).

Talk about going overboard, loser mentality? what are you going on about?.
We finished the year with a percentage of 50, our list is trash, only a few decent youngsters. I'd rather get 2 really good players compared to 1 gun, also Reid isn't guaranteed to be anything. If a club is after pick 1 and will pay overs it's worth it (has nothing to do with flight risks).
Would you have traded Chris Judd for two players on draft day?

No 2006 then.

Would you have traded Chris Judd for two players on draft day?

No 2006 then.

Need key defenders with McIntosh and Jakovich nearing the end, and we need another key forward to partner McDougall for the next decade, so Polak fills a gaping hole in the list, and that Sampi has the highest ceiling of any player in the draft. Massive upside! On talent alone should go Pick 1.

Judd's good and all but two is better than one. Our list is trash and Polak and Sampi will speed up the rebuild far more than Judd alone. Plus Judd will want to go home eventually and we'll get nothing for him. Absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back