Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

True.

JVR isn't true KPP height though but that may not matter.

They also need to start looking at replacing May.

Agreed, I actually think finding a May replacement is something they need to consider pretty soon.

O’Sullivan would be a good long term pick for them, but considering they are in win now mode I think they’ll target someone who can play next year, hence why they are probably desperate for Reid who can play anywhere (HBF, midfield, forward).

Wasn't that just Dark Sharks ?
Yeah Dark Sharks deleted his account when we drafted Culley IIRC. Hasn't been the same round here since.

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

Honestly I don’t think North want Reid as much as people are making out, they will get Sanders for nothing and draft Curtin and any one of McKercher, Duursma or Watson, they’ll be pretty content to stand pat.

Maybe they’ll offer 2 and Port’s 1st to move up to 1, but that’s the best offer I can see them tabling and it’s an offer I hope we reject.

Melbourne are the team who’ll come the hardest.

Surely NM don't get Sanders & pick 3

Interesting title of the article. And not even a sentence in the article at the prospect of West Coast holding the pick. An interesting omission.

Two things to point out. If West Coast are so hell bent to trade away pick 1 as all your inside mail is indicating then they are not doing a very good job at increasing their trade hand. Sounds to me the way you speak of it is we are desperate to offload the pic. Apart from a loudmouth uncle exactly what inside mail is anyone hearing apart from the Victorian media?

The other thing to consider is if we do want to trade and North get Band 1 compo for McKay or even at the least access to Sanders then exactly how does our trade with the Demons for picks 4 & 5 look?

Pick 1 Reid (Dees)
Pick 2 Walter (GC)
Pick 3 Curtin (Nth)
Pick 4 Watson/McKercher (Nth)
Pick 5 Duursma/Watson (Hawks)
Pick 6 Watson/McKercher/Duursma (WC via GC)
Pick 7????? Caddy? (WC via Dees)

Imagine we do said trade and we end up walking away with Watson and Caddy. Also Demons first rounder next year will be in the 20's by the time it's ready to be used. It's hardly the carrot people are making it out to be.

His uncle has essentially managed his football career.

Draftees are only able to retain the services of a player manager 12 months before their own draft.

He’s basically the bloke pulling the strings.

So you’re saying his uncle drove him to games.

I think Simmo said he has been managing his sons mates to training recently as well. So at least we know what he has planned after coaching

Two things to point out. If West Coast are so hell bent to trade away pick 1 as all your inside mail is indicating then they are not doing a very good job at increasing their trade hand. Sounds to me the way you speak of it is we are desperate to offload the pic. Apart from a loudmouth uncle exactly what inside mail is anyone hearing apart from the Victorian media?

The other thing to consider is if we do want to trade and North get Band 1 compo for McKay or even at the least access to Sanders then exactly how does our trade with the Demons for picks 4 & 5 look?

Pick 1 Reid
Pick 2 Walter
Pick 3 Curtin
Pick 4 Watson/McKercher
Pick 5 Duursma/Watson
Pick 6 Watson/McKercher/Duursma
Pick 7????? Caddy?

Imagine we do said trade and we end up walking away with Watson and Caddy. Also Demons first rounder next year will be in the 20's by the time it's ready to be used. It's hardly the carrot people are making it out to be.
After being told Reid is a 'flight risk'(despite him directly saying he has no issue moving) by all and sundry in Victoria, ending up with the 2 players who are the genuine biggest risks in the top 10 would be the worst possible outcome.

After being told Reid is a 'flight risk'(despite him directly saying he has no issue moving) by all and sundry in Victoria, ending up with the 2 players who are the genuine biggest risks in the top 10 would be the worst possible outcome.

Well that too. Taking both Tassie boys would be a very risky proposition indeed. You might be able to convince one to stay but the odds of convincing both? Far less likely.

We also don't need Watson. We are developing Long, possibly pick up Brockman, might get Collard.... etc

If we can't guarantee walking away with 2 of Curtin/McKercher/Duursma then we have ****ing rocks in our heads.

Last edited:
Which is why trading it for anything less than 2 and 3 isn’t worth our time, even if there’s a 0% chance North offer that.

We trade a potential flight risk (that up until this point has only been labelled a flight risk by the media and some sketchy sources) for two known flight risks who are much lower rated.

Even if we got pick 2 and say 6-10 it’s not much different. We get Curtin (great) but still walk away with Watson or Caddy potentially.

The pros and cons of trading vs not trading seem very skewed in one direction as it stands.

We should keep pick 1, we should take Reid with pick 1, but I can’t help feeling with the way the club has operated the last few years that we will split it and get a local guy and maybe one key position player from over east who we will try to turn into a winger.. 🤦‍♀️
Except the club's probably nailed the last 2 NDs(Jury out on Chesser but early days) and MSDs.

People are just still scarred by the 2017 draft.

Surely NM don't get Sanders & pick 3

I wouldn’t be surprised that they needed to lose the No1 pick for that to happen ..
As there was a lot of pissed off talk that they wouldn’t get Sanders if they had the No1 pick as well..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was absolutely a deal that equaled 1m per year over 7 years.

Our cap significantly eases from now.

Did cal geometry say Eagles consider English a million dollar layer, or not?

There’s no doubt we had a big deal in front of him, and it will probably be reported on at some stage sooner or later.
So now he is the Goose that lays golden eggs?

There is only one goose around here mate and its you if you think WC legit offered up a 7 year $7M deal to English.

Reid is as close to a sure thing as you will get, very few holes in his game whereas most of the other players in the top 10 have limitations and will be riskier prospects with a greater chance of being busts, so who's to say we trade him and get "2 really good players"?

Who's giving us 2 suitable picks? You've already conceded you wish to trade away Reid before you even know what you're trading him for, good thing you aren't on the recruiting team because you'd have killed our bargaining position already. Every chance we'd be trading out dustin martin for john butcher and andrew moore.
You realise clubs will have different trade hands come draft day, why would I make a wild guess, left it open ended at "getting overs" 🤨

You realise clubs will have different trade hands come draft day, why would I make a wild guess, left it open ended at "getting overs" 🤨
You originally said pick 4/5 and 10ish, now it's "overs". North aren't going to trade down now, hawks definitely won't, gold coasts pick could come into play if melbourne offer it alongside freo's first, but I don't know how you could even view those 2 picks as "overs" let alone pick 4/5 and 10ish like you originally said. Pick 4 will end up as pick 6 or 7, and 5 at 7 or 8. That means we miss reid, mckercher, curtin, duursma, walter, north will get sanders and we will be left with Watson and Caddy who are the 2 biggest flight risks and then a guys rated in the tier below. That doesn't scream overs to me, there is no hewett and ginbey in this draft for us.

We should keep pick 1, we should take Reid with pick 1, but I can’t help feeling with the way the club has operated the last few years that we will split it and get a local guy and maybe one key position player from over east who we will try to turn into a winger.. 🤦‍♀️

Normally I'd be worried of the same thing, but given there's no top end WA talent to target with the split picks I think it's less and less likely to happen.

Curtin is obviously the one. However other than him you're going to split the pick and target who.... Edwards? Thilstrop? Hardeman? Lel, piss off.

Curtin and a bunch of other stuff sure, but given who reportedly wants Reid the most (Melb, GWS) and who holds the associated pick for Curtin (Norf) I honestly reckon the whole thing will get put in the too hard basket.

We'll get our man. Then hopefully a slider or delicious trade offer comes up for pick 19 🍔🍔🍔

I’m fully in favour of drafting Reid - it’s the most obvious choice and the one less likely to make our recruiters look stupid in a few years time. Nobody, except a few simpletons over east, would criticise us for drafting Reid if he doesn’t fulfill his anticipated potential. However, if we trade him for some magic beans that don’t come good whilst Harley is tearing it up elsewhere then we’ll get the ridicule we deserve

That said, Im not opposed to trading pick 1 but it will depend on two things that are yet to be determined-
1) What the trade proposal actually is. Plenty of talk around what it might be, some scenarios more realistic than others, but until there’s something on the table it’s difficult to judge the merits of a trade.
2) What the draft order looks like once FA compo and other trades have been sorted and then how the picks offered for Reid line up with who’s likely to be available at those picks

I fully expect that what’s considered acceptable here will be different to what the club thinks (see reaction to last years pick split at the time).

There’ll be some who will be opposed to any trade whatsoever but, assuming a tempting enough offer is made, here’s why trading away Reid deserves consideration

• We’re unlikely to ever get a better offer than we will now even if Reid proves to be as good as hoped/expected.
• Reid (and the club) will have to deal with constant speculation over his future and interest from Victorian clubs. It was ever present with Judd and it will be exponentially worse with Reid given the amount of football discussion these days
• He will have to carry an enormous weight of unreasonable expectation from Eagles fans as our saviour and will find it difficult to go about life normally. Have a look at the media attention he was given for an U/18s to get an idea of the sort of attention he’ll get. It’ll be a lot to deal with for an 18/19 year old

The club will need to satisfy themselves that he’s aware of and capable of handling those pressures

I still think we should draft him but can see some potential pitfalls that would have me considering if a trade offer warrants giving away the best player in the draft. It’d need to be very good though - the sort of offer than has people questioning the sanity of those offering it

I agree on everything that you have said, but I have been thinking about the expectations placed on Reid, and I actually think it will be worse if we draft someone else.

Say we give up Reid and get Curtin, I think the expectations will be just as high on Curtin (to be the next Pavilich), with the added comparison to whatever Reid actually does, as with all clubs we have a fair share of dickhead supporters (look no further than a few posters on here) who will be bronx cheering and booing him with any mistake.

Normally I'd be worried of the same thing, but given there's no top end WA talent to target with the split picks I think it's less and less likely to happen.

Curtin is obviously the one. However other than him you're going to split the pick and target who.... Edwards? Thilstrop? Hardeman? Lel, piss off.

Curtin and a bunch of other stuff sure, but given who reportedly wants Reid the most (Melb, GWS) and who holds the associated pick for Curtin (Norf) I honestly reckon the whole thing will get put in the too hard basket.

We'll get our man. Then hopefully a slider or delicious trade offer comes up for pick 19 🍔🍔🍔
I've told myself this bed time story too many times of late. I'm going to come to terms now with the prospect we're trading pick 1 so if/when it does happen it won't feel like a kick in the balls.

If it doesn't happen then i guess i get Xmas one month early.

I wouldn’t be surprised that they needed to lose the No1 pick for that to happen ..
As there was a lot of pissed off talk that they wouldn’t get Sanders if they had the No1 pick as well..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree that it slightly improved the odds but surely Sanders is off the table after the almost revolt at the suggestion.

At least the rules allow some AFL manipulation to get them pick 3 whereas it doesn't for Sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back