Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

If we were to take Curtin (or McKercher, who is a bigger flight risk than Reid along with his size uncertainties) at pick 2 along with one or two other randoms around pick 20,

then that would be one of the recruiting blunders of all time no matter how reasonable or fair or logical it sounds.

We hardly ever get pick 1 why would we not take it, when it is Reid then daylight to the next group of draftees

The club needs a star to get excited about and take no. 9 guernsey

Look at what a dominating presence JHF is at Port Adelaide in his second year.

How good is that

Taking the piss on that instance, but yes I agree you can see what a difference he does make when he gets it.
Just a very dynamic presence around the ball and would love us to get our version of that in Reid.

View attachment 1816890

So nothing from the club itself then Barrett, just the gut feel from people outside the club
If

I want something to write about with the Eagles were I dont need to have knowledge of the playing list and the actual team

Then

The Eagles wont be taking Harley Reid

it's alright guys.

If/when we take Reid, we'll just have to endure all plethora of articles over the preseason about how it was a mistake not to split the pick and go for local talent.

Then there'll be the articles as to why he hasn't re-signed by round 1, 3 months into a 3-year contract.

Strike I need to avoid the North draft thread.
A few of their posters are disparaging me personally.
Apparently I'm a psychopath.
Wanders over to the NM draft thread ...

If we were to take Curtin (or McKercher, who is a bigger flight risk than Reid along with his size uncertainties) at pick 2 along with one or two other randoms around pick 20,

then that would be one of the recruiting blunders of all time no matter how reasonable or fair or logical it sounds.

We hardly ever get pick 1 why would we not take it, when it is Reid then daylight to the next group of draftees

The club needs a star to get excited about and take no. 9 guernsey

Look at what a dominating presence JHF is at Port Adelaide in his second year.
tassie ain't coming in till 2028 so i can't agree with the comment that mckercher is a big flight risk .He will stay at least four years.
No guarentee anyone stays from over east.

Strike I need to avoid the North draft thread.
A few of their posters are disparaging me personally.
Apparently I'm a psychopath.
Fits the current club culture. With JHF it was very much a case of

"We tried pressuring the guy, we tried mentally abusing him, we tried insulting him and he still wants to leave. What else is a club to do?"

People know I think Reid is the best prospect in the open draft pool but I really think people are over hyping him in comparison to McKercher.

Reid stepped it up and played well against men but in the juniors McKercher really reigned supreme this year. 31 disposals and almost 1.5 goals a game in the CTL as a junior with his speed, skills and ability to play inside and out is really nothing to sniff at. Morrish medalist from 8 games scoring votes in 7 out of his 8 games and he got injured in one of those (I can't remember if it was the one he failed to poll in). To put that into perspective it is a 13 game season. He is great on transition, runs and carries at speed and his weighted kicking to a man upfield or on a lead is absolutely delightful. Also really knows where the goals are. Only real weaknesses are his relative size at afl level and how almost purely left footed he is.

I think people are really over hyping the drop off from pick 1 to 2. Now if pick 2 is the WCE and it's Curtin I agree just draft Reid and be done with it. However if North come knocking with an offer like the one I suggested that includes pick 2 I would be snapping it up and I think pretty much every other recruiting manager would as well.

Now when I mention pick 14 and just how highly I rate Ollie Murphy. He should still be on the board. Walter, Read, Caddy, Croft, O'sullivan and Curtin at least all likely to be taken before him. Now yes, 3 of those players are club tied but it would be very surprising to see him off the board before live pick 14. He's just a real outright pure key defender. His lack of intercept play will likely see him slide a touch.

Now if you are able to add Archie Roberts off of half back, Zakostelsky as a future CHB and then trade up with the swans for their pick 23 to finish. (someone is going to bid on Cleary just because of how much Sydney pissed on everyone bidding on multiple players only to then trade out said pick to the Hawks last year)

You are adding some real class, run and carry and speed with the two smalls listed, Zakostelsky is the quickest KPP in the land (He's tested quicker than any player we've ever had on the list) and Murphy is a true genuine full back. There are a couple of specific names I can't mention here but I just want to point this out as a viable option for people. Now it's a gamble particularly if Josh Smillie doesn't come through hard as a big ball winning mid next year and Culley doesn't make it but if he does/they do the club will have drafted an exceptionally well balanced midfield, become one of the fastest young teams in the league and will have plenty of run and carry.

Ball winning, speed of ball movement, speed of ball in hand, ability in the air, ground and plenty of aggression. Yes you lose the top rated talent in this draft, but you give the club the ability to take first choice options for the other roles they are looking to fill as opposed to their second or third choice options. I think this draft has plenty of talent and that the talent runs deep particularly in the tall stocks and role playing positions. I'd rather be the recruiter who gets the matching players on my draft board than the one who is speculating and having to cobble together the rest after the first selection.

Now I won't mention this again unless a trade does happen but I want people to really think about and understand over the course of a 5 year draft rebuild (people will again be upset by this but it's the reality and this is the clubs third draft) you absolutely need star players but you also need to build a list that can compete together, balance as a team and build towards success. With 18 players on the field plus interchange, subs and depth required it's really about winning the war, not just a single battle in building the list.
I find myself liking this post because we are very aligned.

I have long been advocating that I am listening to a Godfather Offer. What some people call Godfather is not what I call Godfather and I am not needing to reconcile the differences.

There is 1 thing the Norf recruiters have failed to do in recent years is to bring wow factor to the club. That is supposedly not the Shinboner way and quite frankly that is why they will never be sustained as a power club in Melbourne.

Harley has the wow factor. He will in the next 5 ears bring more bums on seats at the Docklands. Norf desperately need that. Optus will be full once West Coast is back in finals so there is less of a need.

As it stands now, Norf have got already picks 2, 14, 19, 40, 52 and 60 for a massive 5,447 points. I expect them to have pick 3 for McKay given the noise out of Melbourne. They then have for 2024 a pick likely in the bottom 4, picks 19 and 20 and their full range of R2 etc. They have picks and points to burn.

What will make West Coast sell?
A godfather offer - but what would that look like? Picks 2, 14 and 19? I expect they want later picks back from us so all assume all of 39, 53 and 58 which on face value buys them a pick in the late 20's. Why?

Norf would still have 1, 3, a mid teens pick, a pick in the 20's, 40, 52, 60. Their 2024 picks 19 and 20 will 100% use this year and probably buys you a pick in the early to mid teens this year.

Maybe I am overly suspicious that the AFL play games but I would not be surprised if Norf were told to buy hope for their supporters, and Harley does that.

We then go in with 2, 15, 19, 20, 34.

Pick 2 gets you the best pure midfielder in the draft by some distance. Harley is great and better than McKercher but he will not solve all our issues.

Eastcoasteagle first got me interested in Murphy as a genuine lock down full back. He replaces Barrass but less interested in intercepting than Tommy. I think we get him at 15.

Pick 19 is to be sold to Sydney so they get a bid in ahead of Cleary. We get back 23 and 31. I am thinking we have to give them 39 as well as 19.

Pick 20 - I am leaning to just taking Zakostelsky as our future CHB.. The combination of Bazzo, Murphy and ZZ as the talls with Chesser, Burgiel, etc as the fast moving running half backs feels good.

Pick 23 - Jack Delean. He is a talented small forward and I think will make it.

Pick 31 - Mitch Edwards. Yes he has a question mark over him but the AFL new age rucks need to be over 205 cm and he is 207 cm and proven he can compete. I am agreeing on Bailey Williams being a fwd/ruck, I think Barnett could be our KPF and chop out ruck and while I like the improvement in Jack Williams, he is still a long shot to be AFL KPF.

So we walk away with:
McKercher - a balanced goal kicking mid
Murphy - a lock down KPD
Zakostelsky - a KPD who can both intercept and lock down
Delean - small forward
M Edwards - ruck

Add to that possibly Flynn and Brockman who we get cheap.

Here is our new look profile. I have one more than allowed so we lose one of Collard, Baker, Dewar or Hine-Bastion if you want exact numbers.
1695955535781.png
1695955482196.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have long been advocating that I am listening to a Godfather Offer. What some people call Godfather is not what I call Godfather and I am not needing to reconcile the differences.

There is 1 thing the Norf recruiters have failed to do in recent years is to bring wow factor to the club. That is supposedly not the Shinboner way and quite frankly that is why they will never be sustained as a power club in Melbourne.

Harley has the wow factor. He will in the next 5 ears bring more bums on seats at the Docklands. Norf desperately need that. Optus will be full once West Coast is back in finals so there is less of a need.

As it stands now, Norf have got already picks 2, 14, 19, 40, 52 and 60 for a massive 5,447 points. I expect them to have pick 3 for McKay given the noise out of Melbourne. They then have for 2024 a pick likely in the bottom 4, picks 19 and 20 and their full range of R2 etc. They have picks and points to burn.

A godfather offer - but what would that look like? Picks 2, 14 and 19? I expect they want later picks back from us so all assume all of 39, 53 and 58 which on face value buys them a pick in the late 20's. Why?

Norf would still have 1, 3, a mid teens pick, a pick in the 20's, 40, 52, 60. Their 2024 picks 19 and 20 will 100% use this year and probably buys you a pick in the early to mid teens this year.

Maybe I am overly suspicious that the AFL play games but I would not be surprised if Norf were told to buy hope for their supporters, and Harley does that.

Pick 2 gets you the best pure midfielder in the draft by some distance. Harley is great and better than McKercher but he will not solve all our issues.

Eastcoasteagle first got me interested in Murphy as a genuine lock down full back. He replaces Barrass but less interested in intercepting than Tommy. I think we get him at 15.

Pick 19 is to be sold to Sydney so they get a bid in ahead of Cleary. We get back 23 and 31. I am thinking we have to give them 39 as well as 19.

Pick 20 - I am leaning to just taking Zakostelsky as our future CHB.. The combination of Bazzo, Murphy and ZZ as the talls with Chesser, Burgiel, etc as the fast moving running half backs feels good.

Pick 31 - Mitch Edwards. Yes he has a question mark over him but the AFL new age rucks need to be over 205 cm and he is 207 cm and proven he can compete. I am agreeing on Bailey Williams being a fwd/ruck, I think Barnett could be our KPF and chop out ruck and while I like the improvement in Jack Williams, he is still a long shot to be AFL KPF.

So we walk away with:
Murphy - a lock down KPD
Delean - small forward
M Edwards - ruck

Here is our new look profile. I have one more than allowed so we lose one of Collard, Baker, Dewar or Hine-Bastion if you want exact numbers.
View attachment 1816970
View attachment 1816967
Just shows how much we need midfielders still. Long on a wing, a winger as a ruck rover and literally nothing on the flanks who will contribute much to the midfield shows a draft of that style is a waste and not needed> Path is easy this year

Reid
Windsor
Zakotestelky (will be available at pick 30 odd still)
Collard
Anything but a ruck

So we walk away with:
Murphy - a lock down KPD
Delean - small forward
M Edwards - ruck

View attachment 1816970
View attachment 1816967
I don’t want to shit all over your post, clearly a lot of effort went into it but that does not appeal to me at all.

Not the players you’ve selected per se but trading out pick 1 for some later first rounders that will slide further and further come draft night in the hopes that one of two specific players will still be available seems like low odds indeed.

If Nortn can offer pick 2 with 3 or GC pick 6 then I’m listening but to trade it out for essentially what will become picks equal to second rounders come draft night is too speculative for me.

As good as Errol has been Sydney lost in week one Warner was the catalyst last season for there finals push.

Daicos almost wins the Brownlow and misses a couple of weeks De Geoy pushes them to the line.

Butters and Rozee are knocked out in straight sets.

Bris are made of the back of Neale and Dunkley.

As good as Mchercher can be you take the powerful type in Reid twice every day

So we walk away with:
Murphy - a lock down KPD
Delean - small forward
M Edwards - ruck

View attachment 1816970
View attachment 1816967
Thanks for the detailed post mate.

A couple of quick points/questions.

Could we not still probably pick up ZZ and Delean with our current picks if we take HR instead? (probably Edwards/Goad too)

It seems to broadly boil down to McKercher and Murphy vs Reid and Patton/Morris/Shoenmaker type.

I'm not quite as sold but I know you guys all really rate Murphy.

* and you probably know how much I love McK too.

So I had a chat with Harley tonight at the Pioneers B&F.
Didn't bat an eyelid when I mentioned West Coast likely retaining pick 1 and selecting him.
He also confirmed that he would do me a favour, namely that he ask for no. 9 if he was selected by West Coast.
He said he had already been hopeful of getting no 9 because of Ben Cousins (apparently he's a fan). I said my request was because of Naitanui. Was clearly undaunted about the prospect of relocating.

Also, incidentally, Josh Treacy was the guest speaker at the event and spoke at some length about how much he enjoyed the transition to Fremantle from Country Victoria a couple of years ago. He said when he was with his host family for the first nine months that "it was probably better than being at home with mum and dad".

So some really positive signs IMO.
Also just to corroborate my previous post here's a photo from the Pioneers' facebook page from last night:
384102037_644901587624344_713415507388945244_n.jpg

And this photo of Harley is taken by the media coordinator who I know well and I am literally probably a foot from being in the right-hand side of the photo. You can see Oskar Smartt and his mullet (which he was required to show the entire room when called upon by one of the assistant coaches) on the other side of the table and RJ Watson (another Pioneers midfielder) to the left of Oscar.
The lady closest to the phone camera is Bella Ayre, a previous AFLW player, and current assistant coach to the Girls U18 team.
384189751_644901630957673_1539582313171617682_n.jpg

Last edited:
Clayton in Tassie apparently, presumably meeting with Sanders.

I'd say the additional PPs will almost certainly be given to North in a bid to trade up for Sanders, without giving him directly to North.

Reid will put bums on seats for north initially out of curiosity, but nothing draws crowds more than winning.

He's not the only player in the draft capable of doing that for them.

Don't stress, people over on the Norf board have convinced themselves that Reid has refused to leave Vic a long time ago.

Nothing will change their minds.

They also think they have all the power to just draft Reid, because we realllllly want Curtin apparently.
They want Rawlings to stare down the Eagles and not blink and give us a crappy deal for the number 1 pick.

It's just bizarre the trains of thought that goes on over there, it's like a cult

Last edited:
They also think have all the power to just draft Reid, because we realllllly want Curtin apparently.
They want Rawlings to stare down the Eagles and not blink and give us a crappy deal for the number 1 pick.

It's just bizarre the trains of thought that goes on over there, it's like a cult
Yeah I don't get it.

"Give us pick 1 or we pick Curtin!!!!"

Ok?...

Yeah I don't get it.

"Give us pick 1 or we pick Curtin!!!!"

Ok?...

And caught in this is EP who get's Jedi mind tricked by it

Norf Board
1695957728238.png

EP
1695957803884.png

Status