Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't hate Dwayne Russell to the level of some people here. He just seems like he'd be such a lovely fella if I met him in real life. I bet he'd be great value for a chat at a barbeque.
Met him once, felt bad afterwards for hating his commentary.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Met him once, felt bad afterwards for hating his commentary.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
At least he loves the game and presumably considers himself extremely fortunate to do what he does for a living. Give me that any day over someone going through the motions or someone who almost seems to hate the game.

When they say a player is an ANZAC day medalist.

It’s just a BOG in a home an away game.
Same as being a Glendinning Medallist or Showdown Medallist except there's only one a year, no big deal I reckon.

In a similar vein though, I'm quite happy that it's two other clubs playing this game every year. Beyond the potential disruption to preparations in the week before or after the game, I think there'd be the temptation for players to try to 'get up for Anzac Day', whether it's fast tracking a return from injury, challenging the MRO (possibly even risking an extra week), whatever, when they maybe wouldn't if they were playing away to GWS that round.

I think there's too much potential temptation to treat it like a final, when it's really just another chance for four points, like you get every week.

Spoken like a true supporter of a team that's still not relevant enough to headline a marquee match.

How is this even insulting. Fmd

‘We haven’t won so much as a single final in the lifetime of half our squad but lots of random people I’ve never met go to our games.’

ANZAC themed jumpers are crass.
I think they can be done well, but a lot of them come across as gimmicky cash grabs.

I also think if you’re gonna do an ANZAC jumper you should take the sponsors off it. If you want to honour them with a special jumper, then don’t use it as an opportunity for a corporation to make a few $$$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm probably bias but I agree.
Personally I have always preferred players who win the hard ball/do the grunt work. I preferred both Cousins and Kerr to Judd when he was at the Eagles because those two fed him a fair bit. A team needs both kinds of players though.

On that note, I'm confused as to what is considered a contested possession now. It seems like you can get a contested possession without actually having anyone with in a couple of meters of you.
A contested possession includes a loose ball get because it's "in dispute" so not really a contest

Why though?

Having unprotected sex and their partner giving birth to a male - has absolutely nothing to do with football.

Why does that 'achievement' in any way result in a club getting an advantage by bypassing all other equalisation methods that the AFL has introduced to prevent clubs from gaining outdated and stupidly unfair advantages that are no longer relevant or appropriate in a modern sporting competition??!

I mean seriously, think about it... The AFL are literally saying "great job <insert club name here>, a player played 100 games for you 20 years ago, which in plenty of cases were completely forgettable, but he did root someone 18 years ago and through some act of nature - that woman gave birth to a boy! So to reward you for this wonderful achievement, we're going to compromise the draft and disadvantage all other clubs that didn't have the fortune to have an ex-player have sex and father a son - and allow this kid to play for you. I know it makes no fu***ng sense at all, but you know, there are some crusty old deadshits out there that will get some perverse kind of thrill out of it, so what the hell."

Do we let lifelong supporters of a club bypass the draft and join the club of their choice? Of course not.

What about kids that lived their whole lives next to the ground that a team plays at? Of course not. That would be absolutely idiotic and completely compromise the integrity of the comp.

But play 100 games for a club 20 years ago that is barely recognisable to the current day Club, have a boy...and BAM! Straight through.

It's just totally moronic.
i agree, should extend to academies as well. Just get rid of it all and have a pure draft again. Would even make it more romantic when a father son ends up at their fathers club.

Any game or act that aims to 'raise awareness' for something. Get in the bin, you are trying to use a cause to raise your own profile.

Actually donate something of substance instead.

I'll raise you one. Every single "novelty" round - every one of them - is stage managed, artificial, manufactured bullshit.

Darcy Moore's speech was rubbish. I was pissing myself laughing at how he kept repeating the same thing over and over

At least he loves the game and presumably considers himself extremely fortunate to do what he does for a living. Give me that any day over someone going through the motions or someone who almost seems to hate the game.

Yeah my dislike of Dwayne Russel softened when I heard him commentating some awful NBL game in what looked like a half empty shed. He had the same enthusiasm and catchphrases he uses in a close AFL game it was kind of endearing

Its pathetic those who automatically throw the misogyny card at any hint that you dont like a female....whoever.
Just pathetic
Unfortunately, the reason people do that is because it's so often true.

Like finding someone in the American deep south who hates a black guy "not because he's black though".

Yeah, ok

And Underwood sucks, came across plenty of comments from women who hate her commentary in the AFLW.

So, it's an issue.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Then if you dont know, perhaps you should mimd your own business.
Dont presume and label. Virtue signalling is pathetic, by the way...
Using "virtue signaling" as a criticism is also pathetic.

Your basically saying I want to criticize you, but cannot think of any actual valid points.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back