Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

That Nick Daicos is overhyped. I don’t think he has the traits to be the best player in the AFL let alone a generational talent. Really elite players can win their own ball (like Gary Ablett junior) or do incredible things athletically. (Like buddy or Judd)
This guy will be a good AFL player, and might even snag a Brownlow, but will not be one of the best ever.

Unfortunately, the reason people do that is because it's so often true.

Like finding someone in the American deep south who hates a black guy "not because he's black though".

Yeah, ok

And Underwood sucks, came across plenty of comments from women who hate her commentary in the AFLW.

So, it's an issue.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
Personally I don't think she adds a whole heap of value based simply on her input but you could probably say that about quite a few commentators. The issue for me is that she sounds like an exaggerated character from Kath and Kim.

That Nick Daicos is overhyped. I don’t think he has the traits to be the best player in the AFL let alone a generational talent. Really elite players can win their own ball (like Gary Ablett junior) or do incredible things athletically. (Like buddy or Judd)
This guy will be a good AFL player, and might even snag a Brownlow, but will not be one of the best ever.
It'll be interesting. One thing's for sure, Collingwood's playing style atm suits him to a tee, with so many other distributors on the inside able to get the ball out to Naicos, who's appears to be a brilliant decision-maker and executor. They obviously love getting the footy into his hands when he's facing forward.

He's played three finals so far:
25 disposals and 3 tackles (loss)
25 disposals and 2 tackles (win)
23 disposals and 4 tackles (loss)

Incredibly consistent without being a decisive factor in Collingwood's eventual fate. No goals in any of those finals but a couple of goals late yesterday might suggests he might have the potential to eventually become more impactful on the scoreboard too.

Regarding not winning his own ball, he’s rated elite in Contested Possessions and Ground Ball Gets. He’s 20 and building into his body, of course Collingwood aren’t going to be throwing him into packs all game yet when he’s already so damaging on the outside.

You mention Gary Ablett Jr who was a small forward at Daicos’ age that nobody expected to become the champion midfielder that he is. Based on what we’ve seen, I don’t see why he couldn’t become the best player in the league. He’s already one of the best, in one of the best teams, and his peak is probably 8 years away.

Regarding not winning his own ball, he’s rated elite in Contested Possessions and Ground Ball Gets. He’s 20 and building into his body, of course Collingwood aren’t going to be throwing him into packs all game yet when he’s already so damaging on the outside.

You mention Gary Ablett Jr who was a small forward at Daicos’ age that nobody expected to become the champion midfielder that he is. Based on what we’ve seen, I don’t see why he couldn’t become the best player in the league. He’s already one of the best, in one of the best teams, and his peak is probably 8 years away.
Way too much logic in your comment for the mouth breathers to comprehend

In general Collingwood and Collingwood players get overhyped, that's just how things work with Melbourne media.

If he played for the Saints or something there wouldn't be as much said.

So I agree somewhat. Thing is, like the team he plays for, the hype may have been premature but he is delivering on the hype so far this season.

There's still a long way to go but geez there's not much more he could be doing right now. Very exciting player

In general Collingwood and Collingwood players get overhyped, that's just how things work with Melbourne media.

If he played for the Saints or something there wouldn't be as much said.

So I agree somewhat. Thing is, like the team he plays for, the hype may have been premature but he is delivering on the hype so far this season.

There's still a long way to go but geez there's not much more he could be doing right now. Very exciting player
The hype works both ways. The positives are overblown but then if one of them farts it’s back page news for 3 days

I think they can be done well, but a lot of them come across as gimmicky cash grabs.

I also think if you’re gonna do an ANZAC jumper you should take the sponsors off it. If you want to honour them with a special jumper, then don’t use it as an opportunity for a corporation to make a few $$$.
I had a post deleted for trolling pointing that out in the ANZAC day game thread

Last edited:
The new Tassie team will cause issues from the outset.

For example, I wonder who will get the bye in the last round?

They wouldn't be too happy with three weeks between games if they've made finals.

Maybe it should be the Tassie team for as long as it takes to get a 20th team? After all, it's their fault the bye will exist.

They wouldn't be too happy with three weeks between games if they've made finals.

Maybe it should be the Tassie team for as long as it takes to get a 20th team? After all, it's their fault the bye will exist.aybe
Just get rid of that bullshit bye week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, a long time ago, and I'm not sure if it's where you're going with this, but I don't really get the 'there's so much to do in GC' argument, because isn't alot of the stuff that goes on for the tourists? surely locals arent going to the beach or dreamworld week in week out?
Its full of soft, shallow w***ers.

Its never had a sporting team win a flag in any comp because its all too easy. There may not be alot to do but there are lots of good looking young women (and men) and heaps of coke and other drugs. And miles and miles of beautiful beach with a climate that makes most winters more pleasant than summer in Southern Australia.

You've got to have a bit of campaigner about you to win a flag. A bit of anger and determination. The will to go hard even if you get hurt. Living on the Gold Coast isn't condusive to that sort of attitude. It makes people vain and soft.

Why though?

Having unprotected sex and their partner giving birth to a male - has absolutely nothing to do with football.

Why does that 'achievement' in any way result in a club getting an advantage by bypassing all other equalisation methods that the AFL has introduced to prevent clubs from gaining outdated and stupidly unfair advantages that are no longer relevant or appropriate in a modern sporting competition??!

I mean seriously, think about it... The AFL are literally saying "great job <insert club name here>, a player played 100 games for you 20 years ago, which in plenty of cases were completely forgettable, but he did root someone 18 years ago and through some act of nature - that woman gave birth to a boy! So to reward you for this wonderful achievement, we're going to compromise the draft and disadvantage all other clubs that didn't have the fortune to have an ex-player have sex and father a son - and allow this kid to play for you. I know it makes no fu***ng sense at all, but you know, there are some crusty old deadshits out there that will get some perverse kind of thrill out of it, so what the hell."

Do we let lifelong supporters of a club bypass the draft and join the club of their choice? Of course not.

What about kids that lived their whole lives next to the ground that a team plays at? Of course not. That would be absolutely idiotic and completely compromise the integrity of the comp.

But play 100 games for a club 20 years ago that is barely recognisable to the current day Club, have a boy...and BAM! Straight through.

It's just totally moronic.
At least you're doing right by the spirit of the thread. Kudos.

Maybe it should be the Tassie team for as long as it takes to get a 20th team? After all, it's their fault the bye will exist.

No, Its the AFL's fault. Tassie should have been the 18th team. ;)

Unfortunately, the reason people do that is because it's so often true.

Like finding someone in the American deep south who hates a black guy "not because he's black though".

Yeah, ok

And Underwood sucks, came across plenty of comments from women who hate her commentary in the AFLW.

So, it's an issue.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's plenty of blokes who are appallingly shithouse commentators too so at least there's consistency.

Its full of soft, shallow w***ers.

Its never had a sporting team win a flag in any comp because its all too easy. There may not be alot to do but there are lots of good looking young women (and men) and heaps of coke and other drugs. And miles and miles of beautiful beach with a climate that makes most winters more pleasant than summer in Southern Australia.

You've got to have a bit of campaigner about you to win a flag. A bit of anger and determination. The will to go hard even if you get hurt. Living on the Gold Coast isn't condusive to that sort of attitude. It makes people vain and soft.

From a rugby league perspective this isn’t the case at all.

The Tweed Giants/Gold Coast Seagulls simply couldn’t attract good players beyond a well past his prime Wally Lewis. The Broncos absorbed all the genuine stars. That put them on the back foot from the beginning.

When they became the Chargers they actually began to develop some identity and built a competitive side based literally ON the qualities you are talking about. Their coach Phil Economides was coach of the year for getting them to seventh from memory. Then they went broke on the back of the super league war.

Again with the Titans they have struggled to attract marquee players aside from the Jarryd Hayne publicity stunt, and in the years they have been competitive it’s been on the back of tough forwards making it easy for their generally mediocre playmakers to do their job

From a rugby league perspective this isn’t the case at all.

The Tweed Giants/Gold Coast Seagulls simply couldn’t attract good players beyond a well past his prime Wally Lewis. The Broncos absorbed all the genuine stars. That put them on the back foot from the beginning.

When they became the Chargers they actually began to develop some identity and built a competitive side based literally ON the qualities you are talking about. Their coach Phil Economides was coach of the year for getting them to seventh from memory. Then they went broke on the back of the super league war.

Again with the Titans they have struggled to attract marquee players aside from the Jarryd Hayne publicity stunt, and in the years they have been competitive it’s been on the back of tough forwards making it easy for their generally mediocre playmakers to do their job
What?

How many Gold Coast league sides have won flags?

That's right.

None!

Cos they're too soft!!!

Anyway this forum is about codes of football, where all the players need skill with their feet. Not that other game.

What?

How many Gold Coast league sides have won flags?

That's right.

None!

Cos they're too soft!!!

Anyway this forum is about codes of football, where all the players need skill with their feet. Not that other game.

No mate. It’s because they have never ever had a roster of marquee players.

I can’t say this with certainty but I’m guessing given that I can name the coach of their 1997 team that I know more about rugby league than you (to be expected - we are in an AFL board) and the simple fact is they have never ever had great players.

A list of the best ever Gold Coast rugby league players reads this:

Wally Lewis - a) he was as tough as a coffin nail and b) he was in his 30s when he started there

Mat Rogers - not a play maker even though he was a gun. Came back to the Titans in his 30s after a representative level career at the sharks and a successful stint in rugby union

Scott Prince - a tier or two below superstar level. He had already won a title with the Tigers. No coincidence that their two best seasons (top four) were with Prince in his prime as a 28/29 year old at halfback

Greg Bird - a grub of the absolute highest order but one of the toughest players I have ever seen. When he hit players, they stayed hit.

Luke Bailey - again, tough as nails. Front rower, huge work rate, not flashy, but a gritty, tough, hard worker.

David Fifita - game breaker, can turn a game with one huge run but like his time at the Broncos he’s got and cold.

Jarryd Hayne - returned to rugby league past his best, looking for a pay cheque and didn’t do much.

And that’s about it. A side like the current Penrith one or some of the recent roosters or Melbourne teams have had as much star power and representative experience in game day sides as the GC have had in their entire history.

It wouldn’t matter how tough they are or were, they have never ever had a roster good enough to win

No mate. It’s because they have never ever had a roster of marquee players.

I can’t say this with certainty but I’m guessing given that I can name the coach of their 1997 team that I know more about rugby league than you (to be expected - we are in an AFL board) and the simple fact is they have never ever had great players.

A list of the best ever Gold Coast rugby league players reads this:

Wally Lewis - a) he was as tough as a coffin nail and b) he was in his 30s when he started there

Mat Rogers - not a play maker even though he was a gun. Came back to the Titans in his 30s after a representative level career at the sharks and a successful stint in rugby union

Scott Prince - a tier or two below superstar level. He had already won a title with the Tigers. No coincidence that their two best seasons (top four) were with Prince in his prime as a 28/29 year old at halfback

Greg Bird - a grub of the absolute highest order but one of the toughest players I have ever seen. When he hit players, they stayed hit.

Luke Bailey - again, tough as nails. Front rower, huge work rate, not flashy, but a gritty, tough, hard worker.

David Fifita - game breaker, can turn a game with one huge run but like his time at the Broncos he’s got and cold.

Jarryd Hayne - returned to rugby league past his best, looking for a pay cheque and didn’t do much.

And that’s about it. A side like the current Penrith one or some of the recent roosters or Melbourne teams have had as much star power and representative experience in game day sides as the GC have had in their entire history.

It wouldn’t matter how tough they are or were, they have never ever had a roster good enough to win
That's because good League players are incredibly tough and the Gold Coast makes players soft. Its why those players you mentioned went there for superannuation games and why no one that plays there ever makes a real name for themselves..

The place isn't condusive to hard, tough team sporting achievements.

BTW I think your list needs another name on it.

That's because good League players are incredibly tough and the Gold Coast makes players soft. Its why those players you mentioned went there for superannuation games and why no one that plays there ever makes a real name for themselves..

The place isn't condusive to hard, tough team sporting achievements.

BTW I think your list needs another name on it.

Who? Preston Campbell? He was a fine player for them and was never tough anywhere. Being at the titans didn’t impact that one way or the other. He also never played rep footy.

Mate they have had a shit roster from day dot. That’s the end of it. You could put 13 Trevor Gillmeisters in that side and they would achieve nothing because they can’t attract elite 1, 6, 7 and 9 players. Nathan Friend whose entire reputation was forged at the Titans was arguably the toughest dummy half in the game at the titans. But he offered little by way of creativity

Ashley Harrison went there as an origin player and remained one. Nate Myles played origin the entire time he was there over 5 seasons. You would rarely find two tougher players but it didn’t lead them to anything…. Because there was no class around them in key positions.

Players like Chris McQueen, Jai Arrow, Jarrod Wallace, Kevin Proctor - all hard nuts who played as good at the Titans as they have anywhere in their career. All came to nothing. Why? Because the quality of player in important positions was always rubbish. Even James Roberts was excellent at the Titans but as a three-quarter who wasn’t a ball player his impact is minimal.

It’s no coincidence that even a well past it Kieran Foran is making them as competitive this season as they’ve been for most of the last 7-8 years. Why? Because he’s class and he is in a dominant position on the field.

When you look through the Titans entire historical roster there is no argument you can make that suggests it’s been a club that turns hard players soft. It has a history that suggests it struggles more than nearly any other club to attract elite match winners

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back