Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

What the f**k is great about it?

What does it offer?

If the son is any good, the old fogies that pine for the old days will still get to watch them play.

Why compromise the entire comp with this complete nonsense.
It’s something within the AFL that actual supporters appreciate and enjoy. You have made it clear you don’t support an individual club so it’s hard for you to be as passionate as maybe others are about it so I can understand why you don’t like it.

From a supporters point of view watching the sons of players I’ve enjoyed watching wearing the same guernseys as their dads is wonderful. But from an avid sports fan and when I remove my biases and support for my club I completely agree with you. It is completely silly and is an utter nonsense.

School holidays and no footy on tonight is ridiculous, not sure this is an unpopulat view but what a missed opportunity by who ever was the clown in charge of fixturing.

It's ridiculous we don't have thursday nights every round.

Richmond and Melbourne could have played a Thursday night game this round but no, two clubs who already have a marquee slot each need another one in the form of a game on ANZAC eve.

My unpopular opinion is that the uneven fixture doesn't matter in the slightest, providing it is unbiased. 22 games, not everyone travels the same amount or distance, some teams play harder double ups... yep.

That's why we play a finals series at the end. If you have a slightly harder fixture and finish a spot or two lower, you now have an extra set of challenge matches to prove it.

Did you finish 3rd rather than 2nd as a result? Great... beat 2nd place and prove you are better. Miss the finals and end up 9th cos you had a worse fixture than 8th? Tough luck... if you missed the finals for that reason, you were probably just making up the numbers anyway.

I say this as a supporter of a team that has the worst home ground situation in the league, and who copped an extra away game for gather round (on a 6 day break to play on a Thursday no less) and who missed the finals last year in percentage, largely BECAUSE we were scheduled to play Collingwood twice (and they ended up much better than expected).

As long as there is no systematic, long term attempt to advantage one team or another, and the fixturing is reasonably transparent, i actually like the current imbalance.
As much as I love finals...there's no doubting that each team playing each other twice (once home, once away) would be a more reliable way to determine the best team over a season. I'm not advocating for change or anything but the nature of playoff/finals situations is they add that element of chaos - one slightly off game and it can be 6 months of hard work unravelled. Which one can argue makes things more exciting. But not more fair.

The Gold Coast could work as a club but the AFL so far have completely dropped the ball.

Call me an ignorant latte slurping Victorian bastard if you must, but from afar the instant Success of the Dolphins seems to suggest to me that the problem with the Suns is not the Barassi line but the Gold Coast itself. The Suns have more members than the Titans (probably AFLs talent at creative accounting at work) but the home crowds for Suns and Titans are about on par. And if QUUOOOINNSLAAAAANDAAAs are so Rugby mad, that really shouldn't be the case surely. Particularly considering how we all agree the Suns have been so badly mishandled. Can someone give me a geography lesson or explain why Gold Coast is a Bermuda triangle for sports teams, isn't it part of Queensland?

Too many aspects compromise the on field product from being equitable and should be fixed to truly have a fair game:
F/S priority access is a rort, academy priority access, compensation picks for free agency according to a secret formula, MRO not using precedents, umpires bounce the ball instead of throwing up. The fixture is getting better but still not an accurate science.

Removing COLA was a contentious example to remove but thankfully common sense won out on that one.

Call me an ignorant latte slurping Victorian bastard if you must, but from afar the instant Success of the Dolphins seems to suggest to me that the problem with the Suns is not the Barassi line but the Gold Coast itself. The Suns have more members than the Titans (probably AFLs talent at creative accounting at work) but the home crowds for Suns and Titans are about on par. And if QUUOOOINNSLAAAAANDAAAs are so Rugby mad, that really shouldn't be the case surely. Particularly considering how we all agree the Suns have been so badly mishandled. Can someone give me a geography lesson or explain why Gold Coast is a Bermuda triangle for sports teams, isn't it part of Queensland?
Can pretty much go to beach all year round. So i guess there are other ‘free’ activities such as that.
This is why adopting the WA/SA model of ticket pricing has been in my view one of the reasons its hard to get consistent good crowds. Timeslots too matter. Twilight Saturday seems to be the best fit for the crowd of families.
But yeh remember when you see the empty seats on tv, most of those are $45 and upwards. Expensive for family. The limited GA seats are normally full.

No one agrees with me, and not to diss an absolute gun of the game, but English > Bont.
Young ruckman is flying under the radar a bit as the complete package. Good in ruck contests, excellent in traffic, strong in the air and one of the better users by foot and hand going around
Add to that a much better kick on goal
Bont still in the top echelon of the comp and can put complete games together regularly.
But if i had the choice of one or the other, im taking English

No one agrees with me, and not to diss an absolute gun of the game, but English > Bont.
Young ruckman is flying under the radar a bit as the complete package. Good in ruck contests, excellent in traffic, strong in the air and one of the better users by foot and hand going around
Add to that a much better kick on goal
Bont still in the top echelon of the comp and can put complete games together regularly.
But if i had the choice of one or the other, im taking English
Feel like that could be more of a statement of the depth (or lack thereof) of the ruck position. English probably more important to any team, but Bont is still the best player in the league right now in terms of sheer performance. Last night was probably an exhibit of that, with Bont putting in probably the best performance (or top 3) of any player so far this year.

Ive already explained this.
It givers a club meaning and it helps build a clubs pride in having a great footballing family, your father plays for that club you will live and die by that jumper and its not right for them to not be given the opportunity if there good enough to play for that club.

You will love and die by the jumper until the new franchise offers you a million dollars a year.

Or your club mismanages your injury and you seek a fresh start.

Or you dislike the culture of your club.

(Ablett, Daniher, Dunkley).

I wouldn't say I "like" Kane Cornes but I find him entertaining.

He’s the shock jock of AFL media.

He knows his role is to generate discussion and controversy, and he’s essentially a “any publicity is good publicity” figure.

Don’t think his points are any better/worse than the majority of media. Huge hypocrite and way off in some areas, bang on in others, reckon we’d all be the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever been there?

Bullshit

As rubbish as academy stuff is, at least there's some tiny bit of logic to it.

It's designed to entice local kids to engage in footy and have a pathway which in theory encourages local kids to latch on to their local club.

I mean let's be honest, it's complete horseshit but is solely designed to get non-AFL states to lunch talent from the NRL.

So to that extent, at least the theory is that it grows the game.

BUT WHAT THE ACTUAL F**K DOES THE FATHER-SON RULE DO???!! Aside from counter acting the draft, if course.
So for all his flaws as a player (not that many really) we have a guy who is co-captain who we drafted under the Father Son rule - Luke McDonald.

He spent his life supporting the club, grew up wanting to play there and was even at the Dallas Brookes Hall when supporters got together to save the club from relocation to the Gold Coast in 2007. He was about 12 years old. Its almost impossible to imagine him playing anywhere else given that history. He went in the top ten and probably shouldn't have but another club that knew his connection to the club nominated him. That maybe cost us a higher pick cos we'd committed to him playing with us.

But for many supporters it adds meaning and a sense of conncection to the club. Things like that nurture a side to the game that is not something the soulless money hungry admin of the AFL seem to care about or would go out of their way to develop.

That story resonates with a few North supporters (tho his drafting and captaincy are controversial and many supporters criticise both) and it demonstrates that the romantic dreams of some kids - to play for and captain a side they have a multi-generational connection to - is possible. There have been four other F/S players at the club since he was drafted - Joel Crocker, Bailey Scott, Jackson Archer and Cooper Harvey. The last three are still on the list and Archer has actually shown a bit at AFL level while Scott is a regular member of the side and the only one who might otherwise have been drafted. Odds are none of the other three would have been drafted anywhere else.

But as a result of the father son rule there is an element of meaning added to our club that wouldn't otherwise be there.

If we'd had the opportunity to draft nick Daicos at 1 in 2021 we may well have but at the same time its an amazing story that he and his brother play for the club their dad won a flag with. Only a heartless curmudgeon with the emotional intelligence of a rock would think otherwise. Again the meaning that provides to Collingwood supporters is impossible to measure, quantify or put a dollar value on despite the fact it will be marketing gold.

None of this would be possible without the "compromised" nature of father son picks. We could go down the US path where teams are souless franchises owned by individuals with immense wealth and power but it would remove alot of the meaning in the game for other people. The father son rule is one thing that helps hold off that heartless Americanisation of our game.

Agree.

Poor leadership from Day 1.
The Gold Coast would have been better off with someone like Andrew Swallow than Gary Ablett. Family connection to the club, heart and soul type player who made up for his limitations with courage, commitment, selfless play and work ethic. As opposed to Ablett who ran around racking up 40+ possession games while his younger teammates stood back to let him win the ball and do his thing.

They missed an opportunity for good onfield leadership right there. Even if it wasn't Spoitta they got, a similar player would have better imo. It worked for GWS who picked players that were respected leaders at other clubs. Their results since seem to confirm that.

You will love and die by the jumper until the new franchise offers you a million dollars a year.

Or your club mismanages your injury and you seek a fresh start.

Or you dislike the culture of your club.

(Ablett, Daniher, Dunkley).
2 of them won a premiership with there club.

So for all his flaws as a player (not that many really) we have a guy who is co-captain who we drafted under the Father Son rule - Luke McDonald.

He spent his life supporting the club, grew up wanting to play there and was even at the Dallas Brookes Hall when supporters got together to save the club from relocation to the Gold Coast in 2007. He was about 12 years old. Its almost impossible to imagine him playing anywhere else given that history. He went in the top ten and probably shouldn't have but another club that knew his connection to the club nominated him. That maybe cost us a higher pick cos we'd committed to him playing with us.

But for many supporters it adds meaning and a sense of conncection to the club. Things like that nurture a side to the game that is not something the soulless money hungry admin of the AFL seem to care about or would go out of their way to develop.

That story resonates with a few North supporters (tho his drafting and captaincy are controversial and many supporters criticise both) and it demonstrates that the romantic dreams of some kids - to play for and captain a side they have a multi-generational connection to - is possible. There have been four other F/S players at the club since he was drafted - Joel Crocker, Bailey Scott, Jackson Archer and Cooper Harvey. The last three are still on the list and Archer has actually shown a bit at AFL level while Scott is a regular member of the side and the only one who might otherwise have been drafted. Odds are none of the other three would have been drafted anywhere else.

But as a result of the father son rule there is an element of meaning added to our club that wouldn't otherwise be there.

If we'd had the opportunity to draft nick Daicos at 1 in 2021 we may well have but at the same time its an amazing story that he and his brother play for the club their dad won a flag with. Only a heartless curmudgeon with the emotional intelligence of a rock would think otherwise. Again the meaning that provides to Collingwood supporters is impossible to measure, quantify or put a dollar value on despite the fact it will be marketing gold.

None of this would be possible without the "compromised" nature of father son picks. We could go down the US path where teams are souless franchises owned by individuals with immense wealth and power but it would remove alot of the meaning in the game for other people. The father son rule is one thing that helps hold off that heartless Americanisation of our game.
Ok....so just because it's a cool story and brings some romance to the game, should we start letting the odd goal through and tweak the odd result here and there?

Cause you know, old farts that want some storybook shit.

I know what you're saying. Don't get me wrong. For some desperate losers, seeing a kid playing in the same jumper as their dad (even though the jumpers have all changed anyway) is cool and adds something.
But how on earth it can be justified when the AFL are supposedly doing everything they can to ensure balance, equality and integrity in the competition is just completely beyond me.

How's this sound...how about we ask the goal umpire to let the odd behind slide and just call it a goal if it's a scenario that will add a bit of romance? Come on, what's the big deal, right.

Integrity? Pfft. Who gives a shit, right?

And the thing is it's not even actually about the father-son. It's about getting good players to the club via the father-son rule.

If you suck, suddenly clubs and fans go a bit cold on the whole romance and meaning thing.

Imagine how quickly the clubs would call for the axing of this stupid rule if it became mandatory to draft sons of ex-players.

Funny that.

And why sons of fathers? What about brothers?
What about guys that have played 200 games with 1 club and leave? Isn't that harder for fans? Wouldn't it be romantic to see these guys play for that same club the whole way through?

Certainly more relevant than a fuc**ng kid playing for a team that his dad played for 30 fu****g years ago!!!

Last edited:

True.

However, as mentioned earlier, the points discount is an unnecessary and excessive benefit afforded to the drafting club. The mere fact that a club can use late-pick draft points to secure a top-end father-son should be enough of a gift, without also getting that player cheaper on top of that. That's what truly compromises the draft.

Ditto for academy players.

Ok....so just because it's a cool story and brings some romance to the game, should we start letting the odd goal through and tweak the odd result here and there?

Cause you know, old farts that want some storybook s**t.

I know what you're saying. Don't get me wrong. For some desperate losers, seeing a kid playing in the same jumper as their dad (even though the jumpers have all changed anyway) is cool and adds something.
But how on earth it can be justified when the AFL are supposedly doing everything they can to ensure balance, equality and integrity in the competition is just completely beyond me.

How's this sound...how about we ask the goal umpire to let the odd behind slide and just call it a goal if it's a scenario that will add a bit of romance? Come on, what's the big deal, right.

Integrity? Pfft. Who gives a s**t, right?

And the thing is it's not even actually about the father-son. It's about getting good players to the club via the father-son rule.

If you suck, suddenly clubs and fans go a bit cold on the whole romance and meaning thing.

Imagine how quickly the clubs would call for the axing of this stupid rule if it became mandatory to draft sons of ex-players.

Funny that.

And why sons of fathers? What about brothers?
What about guys that have played 200 games with 1 club and leave? Isn't that harder for fans? Wouldn't it be romantic to see these guys play for that same club the whole way through?

Certainly more relevant than a fuc**ng kid playing for a team that his dad played for 30 fu****g years ago!!!
That's awesome. Well done.

Get rid of in the back frees and ruck frees
I wouldn't care if they eliminated 95% of ruck free kicks. Absolute lottery. It should be the rarest free kick in the game. Let the giants jostle and wrestle to their heart's content. Only blatant infringements and dangerous acts should be whistled.

With in the back I only agree when it comes to tackles. The really soft ones you see where a player lands on someone's back or doesn't roll them properly in the tackle. Marking contests are a different story. Any hack can shove someone out of a marking contest from behind. It shouldn't be rewarded.

Have you ever been there?

Yes, a long time ago, and I'm not sure if it's where you're going with this, but I don't really get the 'there's so much to do in GC' argument, because isn't alot of the stuff that goes on for the tourists? surely locals arent going to the beach or dreamworld week in week out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back