What was daily life like in the 80s/90s/00s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing video games in the 80’s was an afternoon at Timezone pumping 20 cent pieces into 1942 or waiting 2 hours for Summer Games to load on the Commodore 64

Growing up we had a commodore 64 with the big floppy disks. Remember playing World Games, Winter Games, Summer Games, Revs, Gauntlet on it.

Then we got an Amiga 500 which was awesome. My dad found some other people that had a heap of games so we ended up with about 300 copied games. Was great.

having to use your imagination for masturbation

the internet has improved some things

90 minutes to download a 10 second clip and hope that the internet doesnt drop out or your mum pick up the phone to ring someone and boot you off with 2 minutes to go. Great times

We'd use public toilets and piss on the seat
We'd walk around in the Summer time saying "How about this heat!?"

Louis CK reckons Denis Leary stole the idea for his arseh*le song from him.

He isn't that bitter about it though, I guess it helps that Louis is more successful than Denis now.

Huh, I didn't know that.

I thought Leary ripped off all his gear from Bill Hicks

Huh, I didn't know that.

I thought Leary ripped off all his gear from Bill Hicks

Yeah him too and several other stand up comedians, he was widely known as a joke thief on the US comedy scene back in those days, a real life arseh*le

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall us getting a Super Nintendo for Xmas early 90s and we ran an extension cord out to the tent in the backyard of the holiday house. Sat in the tent till 4am playing Mario All Stars, that was high tech then.

We got a Sega Mega Drive in the early 90s, it seemed most people either got the Super Nintendo or the Sega Mega Drive back then but never both.

Sonic the Hedgehog was pretty mind blowing back then in terms of raising the bar for platform games, we played the hell out of it and NBA Jam too.

I remember playing Donkey Kong on some handheld device in back seat of car as Dad and Mum drove us tto Sunshine Coast during school holidays.
If you stayed in Caravan park overnight on the way to Queensland you would visit the games room as a kid to try to play Pacman, Galaga or some pinball machine in those rooms. I think it was like 20 cent coin to put in the machine to play. Also if you lucky they had those car driving games too but usually it was just a pinball machine and Pacman or Galaga. I quite enjoyed playing Galaga but I probably still enjoyed pinball machines more as at least physically you had to do something with a pinball machine to work for your score so it was more fun to me at that point.
Donkey Kong was awesome value and fun for it's time.

Had a quick look for one but cannot find the exact one we had but this looks like a later version that similar.
714px-Game%26watch-donkey-kong-2.jpg

I remember playing Donkey Kong on some handheld device in back seat of car as Dad and Mum drove us tto Sunshine Coast during school holidays.
If you stayed in Caravan park overnight on the way to Queensland you would visit the games room as a kid to try to play Pacman, Galaga or some pinball machine in those rooms. I think it was like 20 cent coin to put in the machine to play. Also if you lucky they had those car driving games too but usually it was just a pinball machine and Pacman or Galaga. I quite enjoyed playing Galaga but I probably still enjoyed pinball machines more as at least physically you had to do something with a pinball machine to work for your score so it was more fun to me at that point.

Had a quick look for one but cannot find the exact one we had but this looks like a later version that similar.
Had the orange version, probably the one you had..

This one?
nintendo_game_watch_multi_screen_donkey_kong_pre-owned_1_.jpg

Yeah - I remember those trips. Queensland during school holidays for the middle classes never involved air travel in the '80's.
Instead it was 3 days in a car with vinyl seats, AM radio and no air conditioning. Thankfully I wasn't one of those kids that got car sick

I remembre that solar system game which i believe i had

visible_solar_system_02.png

Also had this which provided hours of familiy friendly entertainment

_96529129_bbc_atari.jpg
Asteroids was my favourite game.

That and Pele’s Soccer

I had that game along with the original Donkey Kong game, clocked both of them numerous times, once you worked out the pattern they were easy.

Growing up we had a commodore 64 with the big floppy disks. Remember playing World Games, Winter Games, Summer Games, Revs, Gauntlet on it.

Then we got an Amiga 500 which was awesome. My dad found some other people that had a heap of games so we ended up with about 300 copied games. Was great.
Mate the Amiga was an amazing machine. Great for gaming and so much better than the Intel offerings of the time.

We had the 500 then dad upgraded to the 2000.

Great sound and graphics. Excellent gameplay.

Not the most popular computer but there was that kind of exclusive club at school of kids who had one.

I used to love getting the magazines that came with a disk with some sample games.

Remove this Banner Ad

What was daily life like in the 80s/90s/00s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back