deeboyzrule

Debutant
Nov 22, 2004
Woodend
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
In your opinion what do you think was the best game of the season.

St Kilda geelong, the second time they played.
Best quarter was Kangaroos vs Sydney, 2nd time round when kangas came back from 40 points down at 3/4 time

SaInts SKill said:
Saint's Vs Power..

I think most opposition fans will agree that this was an exciting game of football - and rates as my favourite for the year despite my team losing.

Had St Kilda won this match, I had GF tickets and a trip to Melbourne lined up. So you can understand the degre of disappointment I had when they lost.

Just shows how close the Saints have come already.

Nick Stevens said:
Round 22

Carlton Vs Collingwood

But i'm bias.
It was a close game. I was there. With two minutes left the whole crowd was roaring at the footballers to hurry up. It ended in disapointment for me, but it was exciting.

Collingwood vs Hawthorn :D

Only a truly biased person would call the Carlton - Collingwood game a good one. Two of the worst sides in the league, low skill level, a period where Collingwood just went to sleep, and the fact that Carlton had it won for most of the last quarter. 1 point was the margin but Carlton controlled the game and it wasnt as close as it sounds.

Anyway, I think the Bombers v Eagles game was a ripper. Essendon burst out of the blocks to lead by 8 goals to nil. Then slowly, West Coast got back into the game and by the third quarter the stage was set for a thrilling finish. James Hird's last quarter was spectacular, and with scores level in the dying moments, he provided a fitting end to a great contest.

Port v St Kilda was another great match. The underdog got off to a good start and then the momentum shifted after a respite of some description. :mad: It was close all the way, with a despised team incensing the port crowd. Two of the best teams of the year played a great game, Stuart Dew kicked a great goal from 55 out that put Port in control in the last quarter, but Riewoldt levelled the scores and gave the Saints a sniff. Wanganeen, unfortunately, kicked the matchwinner and for the last 10 minutes it became a real arm wrestle - a great, tense atmosphere. If the Saints won that, it would have been better to see an underdog get up, and the choking tragedy to continue to haunt Port. ;)

top 5 games of the year for me in no purticular order

Essendon VS West Coast @ the Dome

Port Adelaide VS St Kilda Prelim Final

Brisbane VS Geelong Prelim final

North Melbourne VS Sydney

Brisbane VS St Kilda @ the dome

Port v St Kilda final. Awesome. That's what footy's all about.

Ess v WCE early in the year was great too. Pity I'd decided to go home from Melbourne that week. :(

Second Ess v Port match was also pretty damn good. Certainly had stuck around in Melbourne for that one. :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit difficult not to pick my own side in my top ten when we did play in some rippers, BUT...
1. Power def StK, Prelim. Gherig tops the ton, "flashy" Burgoyne does the one percenter and the fairytale continues.
2. StK def Bris, rd 6. Saints lead all night but barely dare to dream; a rampaging last quarter by the Lions almost steals it but for an unlikely hero in Schwarze and a wayward goal umpire.
3. Geel def StK, rd 17. Great game, wonderful committment. Luke Ball almost singlehandedly wins the game for his side, but in the end Milburn and Corey dig the Cats out of trouble to win - just. Riewoldt vs Harley a highlight.
4. Ess def WCE, rd 3. Not the best sides in the comp but one of the best players highlighted what was a very good quality game. 15 touches and a winning goal in the last quarter that will go down in Bomber history.
5. Port def Geelong, rd 10. Underrated maybe because it was interstate, this game was a cracker from start to finish. The Cats got the jump on the Power in a fast, tough game but in the end the Power pulled back the lead as it see-sawed from team to team. The Cats had numerous opportunities to win but in the end it was a brilliant smother from Byron Pickett that won a classic.
6. North Melbourne def Sydney, round 20. Not a great first three quarters but the last quarter was made inspirational by two old warriors, McKernan for having a great game, and Archer, for the respect and courage he inspires.
7. Brisbane def Geelong, PF. Not quite the equal of Friday night's counterpart, this game was still a cracker as Geelong dared to dream in the third quarter, but somehow Brisbane dug themselves out of a hole. Power's courage was inspirational, Cameron Ling improved his standing a notch or two. Maybe a game the Cats should've won but in the end, the champions somehow found a way.
8. Brisbane def Essendon, rd 13 or something. The first half was a demo of How To Play Footy, as the Bombers matched it with the Lions, but the second half? Complete demolition.
9. Port Adelaide def Brisbane, GF. A day made memorable by the Aboriginals of the game, Williams' raw emotion, a monkey thrown off the back, a lost chance for the Lions, and, above all, a bloody good Grand Final.
10. Brisbane def Adelaide, rd 20 or something. How To Completely Smash A Football Side: a champion's guide.

Tim the Toolman said:
Geez, you almost sound like a closet lions fan?

I just reread the last four and thought, well, you have a point, but when on fire they are the best team in the AFL. Port had a better season though.
I think all of those games deserve a mention.

now they were both finals but 2 very exciting games were port vs saints and melbourne vs dons. yes i am a dees supporter and it was heartbreaking 2 lose by 4 points but in that match the game swung from side 2 side so much. i would rate port vs saints slightly higher though because of the closeness and desperation in it.

Must be the Port vs St Kilda prelim. Utterly devestating, even still. :(

And I very much enjoyed the St Kilda vs Brisbane game at the Dome, too.

Sorry, didn't watch much of anyone else this year, but I did catch North coming from a mile down to topple the Swans, and the Doggies doing the same to trhe former. Both highly exciting games when it got down to the crunch.

BomberGal said:
Port v St Kilda final. Awesome. That's what footy's all about.

Agree totally....felt physically sick in the last minute's, it was amazing being there for that......didnt think it could get any better than that feeling I had after that match............But then along came Sept 24th 2004, and I witnessed the Best Match of the Year!!

Feel so lucky to have been at both of them, to live the dream!!

riccardo said:
Must be the Port vs St Kilda prelim. Utterly devestating, even still. :(

And I very much enjoyed the St Kilda vs Brisbane game at the Dome, too.

Sorry, didn't watch much of anyone else this year, but I did catch North coming from a mile down to topple the Swans, and the Doggies doing the same to trhe former. Both highly exciting games when it got down to the crunch.

I have a feeling that the prelim may well be StKilda's third "coming of age" ie graduation to a top level side.
In my book there are three "comings of age" to become a top level contender -
1. Beat a top six-team, maybe at your home ground, but beat them well (by about 5 goals or so). Bulldogs should do this, this year.
2. Beat a great team in conditions favouring you - or lose tightly in conditions favouring them - Textbook examples are Port vs Geelong this year or Geelong def Brisbane, or Brisbane beating Ess at the GABBA in 2001
3. Finally arrive as a contender - in harsh conditions - and I think StKilda may have done this.

Remove this Banner Ad

What was the best game of 2004

Remove this Banner Ad

Back