What was the best game of 2004

Remove this Banner Ad

iameviljez said:
I have a feeling that the prelim may well be StKilda's third "coming of age" ie graduation to a top level side.
In my book there are three "comings of age" to become a top level contender -
1. Beat a top six-team, maybe at your home ground, but beat them well (by about 5 goals or so). Bulldogs should do this, this year.
2. Beat a great team in conditions favouring you - or lose tightly in conditions favouring them - Textbook examples are Port vs Geelong this year or Geelong def Brisbane, or Brisbane beating Ess at the GABBA in 2001
3. Finally arrive as a contender - in harsh conditions - and I think StKilda may have done this.

Very interesting post. Not that i'm disagreeing but what game are you stating st.kilda has reached stage 3 ? I dont see all the non brisbane games, and my memory is shot but I cant think of which one you refer too. All the others I think you're spot on.

Vidman said:
Very interesting post. Not that i'm disagreeing but what game are you stating st.kilda has reached stage 3 ? I dont see all the non brisbane games, and my memory is shot but I cant think of which one you refer too. All the others I think you're spot on.

Stage 1 may be St Kilda beating West Coast in '03 at the Dome by 10 goals, or the previous year by the same margin. That is the most recent case I can think of when we've smashed a top 6 side.

Stage 2 is clearly the last 2 Lions vs Saints games in Melbourne, plus, in the loss column you could add the Geelong game from R18 or the Port prelim.

However, knowing the Saints as I do, it is as much about us building up the confidence and momentum to believe we can win the thing as it is progressing in stages of development. In our only premiership year, we needed the added spur of being done in the previous years GF by the side who fibished 4th after we finished on top. In those days, stuff like that just didn't happen.
I see similarities with the dissapointment of this year, failing by so little after dominating much of the season.

But the points raised by iameviljez are very astute, it was good work by him.

riccardo said:
Stage 1 may be St Kilda beating West Coast in '03 at the Dome by 10 goals, or the previous year by the same margin. That is the most recent case I can think of when we've smashed a top 6 side.

Stage 2 is clearly the last 2 Lions vs Saints games in Melbourne, plus, in the loss column you could add the Geelong game from R18 or the Port prelim.

However, knowing the Saints as I do, it is as much about us building up the confidence and momentum to believe we can win the thing as it is progressing in stages of development. In our only premiership year, we needed the added spur of being done in the previous years GF by the side who fibished 4th after we finished on top. In those days, stuff like that just didn't happen.
I see similarities with the dissapointment of this year, failing by so little after dominating much of the season.

But the points raised by iameviljez are very astute, it was good work by him.

Indeed agreed, very interesting theory to work on. Just dont know if saints have reached level 3 yet. With brisbanes recent run I would say the win over collingwood at the MCG where they learned to win away, learned to win on the MCG against good opposition that was when they reached stage 3. Think st kilda need to win a tough mcg or interstate game to get there

Vidman said:
Indeed agreed, very interesting theory to work on. Just dont know if saints have reached level 3 yet. With brisbanes recent run I would say the win over collingwood at the MCG where they learned to win away, learned to win on the MCG against good opposition that was when they reached stage 3. Think st kilda need to win a tough mcg or interstate game to get there

Last years effort against Hawthorn at the MCG was a tough game, and the final there against the Swans was meritorious considering the form we were in.
I know interstate success hasn't been a hallmark of our side, but we won 2 very competitive games against the Crows at AAMI this year, and knocked Freo for 6 at Subi, too.

But I agree with youre line of thinking. Pertaining to that, I think the Round 1 fixture at the Gabba will determine our readiness for the Flag in '05 or not. Should we win, I think we will be in the box seat depending on the sizer and strength of the victory. Get smashed as we did in R21 and the final, and we are probably another year away from winning the big one.

West Coast wasnt a top 6 side, finish 8th each year

1. Port v Essendon- rd 1. One of the best Essendon games in years, never thought they could play that well but they hung in there and Port fell 4 points short in the end

2. Collingwood v Richmond- rd 18. 2 ******** sides put on a thriller

3. Collingwood v Fremantle- rd 19. Had to include, we were ******** this year becuase of injuries but managed to knock off the dockers at subi.

4. Port v Brisbane- GF. The 4 in a row is stopped and the media have to throw out all their papers they had made up to celebrate this milestone and report on a team that doesnt cheat to win

5. Port v Saints- PF. Great game, even better live at AAMI. Never doubted the Power and got the feeling they were just playing with the saints most of the night. Always knew the Saints would struggle once Gehrig got the ton and the Power were best off letting him kick the ton as early as possible

Vidman said:

I mean that they may have done this when they almost toppled the Power at Footy Park. I mean, underdogs, frenzied Power fans with all to lose... in a Final... how tough does it get?

johnnyhoward said:
Anyway, I think the Bombers v Eagles game was a ripper. Essendon burst out of the blocks to lead by 8 goals to nil. Then slowly, West Coast got back into the game and by the third quarter the stage was set for a thrilling finish. James Hird's last quarter was spectacular, and with scores level in the dying moments, he provided a fitting end to a great contest.

Port v St Kilda was another great match. The underdog got off to a good start and then the momentum shifted after a respite of some description. :mad: It was close all the way, with a despised team incensing the port crowd. Two of the best teams of the year played a great game, Stuart Dew kicked a great goal from 55 out that put Port in control in the last quarter, but Riewoldt levelled the scores and gave the Saints a sniff. Wanganeen, unfortunately, kicked the matchwinner and for the last 10 minutes it became a real arm wrestle - a great, tense atmosphere. If the Saints won that, it would have been better to see an underdog get up, and the choking tragedy to continue to haunt Port. ;)

9 posts till the one I was thinking of came up....I also think the drama surrounding the game lent a certain air to it as well...Hirds drama over the umpiring saga and his personal demolition of the Eagles ..also M Loydd wining on appeal at the tribunal and kicking 8 straight..just had everything IMO

The Port St Kilda game comes alive due to the stage it was set..a prelim final , the run on and Port looking like letting a game slip, Robert Harveys 300th ..has to be second

johnnyhoward said:
.....Port v St Kilda was another great match..... It was close all the way, with a despised team incensing the port crowd.....
:confused: Since when do Port fans despise St Kilda? For myself and the many I know we hold the Saints in high regard. Especially since our ripper Prelim Final this year.
We may have the wood on you at present but that can change in a heartbeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kangaroos vs Western Bulldogs at Manuka - the last quarter by the Dogs was an inspiration. Bought tears to my eyes it did.

Remove this Banner Ad

What was the best game of 2004

Remove this Banner Ad

Back