What were peoples thoughts on Darren Milburn?

Remove this Banner Ad

understudy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2002
North East
AFL Club
Collingwood
Had a great year in his first year of footy 1996? thought he was a champ would be great to see him get back to that form.

Cat tries to put past behind him
March 18 2003

After seven years at Geelong and with his 26th birthday next month, Darren Milburn has reluctantly taken on the role of a team leader in the youthful Cat line-up.
Picture: ANDREW DE LA RUE

After six years of virtual silence, Darren Milburn talks to Peter Ker about a tragic car accident, avoiding the media and that day at Carlton.

Football clubs are full of young men who don't particularly enjoy talking about themselves, least of all to the media. But, even by football standards, Darren Milburn is a quiet one.

While there are footballers who carry controversy with them throughout their career, for such a low-profile individual, Milburn is one who has carried more than most.

In his seven years at Geelong, "Dasher" Milburn, who turns 26 next month, has played 100 games and kicked 44 goals. But, until now, his interview tally stood close to zero.

And although his reputation as a key member of Geelong's defence has grown steadily, Milburn is still best remembered for two incidents he now says he is trying to put behind him.

In 1997, Milburn, the 48th pick in the 1995 national draft, was involved in a car accident on Geelong Road that left a man dead.

advertisement

advertisement

Just 19 at the time and with his P-plates on the dashboard, Milburn was driving to a training session at Kardinia Park when he lost control and collided with an oncoming vehicle.

The state coroner, Graeme Johnstone found that Milburn had contributed to the man's death. Johnstone said Milburn was not drunk, drugged or speeding and found that inattention on a straight stretch of highway had probably caused him to veer into trees on the median strip and run "almost head-on" into an oncoming car. Milburn was not charged over the incident.

Almost six years on, Milburn says the best way to move forward is to keep the incident as far from his thoughts as possible.

Milburn's counsel at the time, Rod Willcox, described his client as being shattered by the death. Even today, the incident is clearly something Milburn has difficulty talking about.

Milburn said he had tried to put it behind him and "try and play some good footy for the Geelong Football Club".

It's perhaps a reflection on the myopic nature of the football community that Milburn has since come under greater scrutiny, particularly from his detractors, for an incident at Optus Oval four years later.

Just minutes before the end of Geelong's 2001 season, Milburn carelessly crashed into Stephen Silvagni as the Carlton legend was following the ball in play.

Dragged from the field almost immediately, Milburn fanned the anger of the Carlton fans by clapping his hands and making gestures as he made his way off the ground.

The situation threatened to erupt moments later when the fans, enraged at the sight of Silvagni being carried off unconscious, started streaming towards the Geelong dugout, banging the perspex under which Milburn was sheltering.

Although happy to accept the three-week suspension for doing something he "probably shouldn't have", Milburn maintains that he would do the same again if the situation presented itself. "I would have done the same thing every other time," he said.

"It's just part of footy and I'd expect someone in the same position to do exactly the same to me. You go out to win the ball and I guess stop your opponent from getting it and, yeah, it was just a split decision and in the end, it was probably a bad decision, but that's the way it goes, I guess."

Contrary to popular belief, former Geelong player Bill Brownless said Milburn's dislike of the media spotlight had nothing to do with hiding from his controversial past.

"I just think he has always been like that; even before those (incidents), he was a quiet, shy kid," he said.

"The car accident would have been a hard one at the time because he was only young and he wouldn't have known what was happening. The Carlton thing, that was blown up a bit I thought, out of proportion."

Brownless said Milburn's refusal to talk to the media had led people to make their own assumptions and, in turn, fuelled the perception that he carried no remorse for the incidents. "I know he didn't mean to do what he did and he did feel bad about it, but I don't think he had the chance, because he is not the media type, to actually show any remorse," Brownless said.

Brownless, now employed by Geelong in a communications role, said Milburn ranks as the shyest footballer he has ever encountered, even more so than the famously reclusive Gary Ablett.

"You don't even know he is around . . . he comes in, he trains, he'll probably say five words, then goes home. He's unique," he said.

Geelong coach Mark Thompson said Milburn was starting to realise that he is one of the oldest players on the Cats' list and so, by definition, is one of the leaders around the club. "In a different sort of a way, he's a good leader, not by words but by actions," Thompson said.

"He is very quiet . . . I have to say hello to him every day because he'll never say hello to me first."

Milburn said his aversion to the media was simply because "it's not my personality". "It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I haven't really got into it. I don't like to get in there and say what's going on; I just leave that to other people, I guess."

While aware that he is not popular with opposition fans, nor a natural leader of men, Milburn is enjoying his new role at the club. "I wouldn't say I'm a natural leader . . . But I just sort of find it happening and hopefully it works," he said.

Growing into his new leadership role around the club is one way "Dasher" plans to move on. Becoming a father is another.

Brownless believes Milburn will handle the two new roles in his life in his own, unique style. "He's about to become a father for the first time and the baby will probably say more than Dad," he joked.

Printer friendly version Email to a friend

Originally posted by grinspoon
i think he is pretty crap, doesnt have much skills, and like ben graham, cracks the ****s all the time and gives the ball up. but on other hand, you have a great ruckman there.:mad:

Don't comment on someone you obviously know nothing about.

You're only embarrassing yourself.

Originally posted by understudy
Fair comment catman my good buddy.

Share us ur comments?

Am I correct in what I say?

You don't know anything either.

Dasher's first season of senior footy was in 1997, not 96.

He is a quiet achiever in our backline who goes about his footy without much fanfare, in the mould of Brenton Sanderson.

A very skilful and versatile player who could play anywhere if called upon.

Unfortunately he'll always be remembered for the brain fade against Carlton. Its a pity, because Milburne is by no means a thug. Honest, versatile footballer.

Without a doubt, one of the most underrated footballers going around. I have rated him as our best and most skillful player over the last few years. His ability to read the play is first class. Often running off his opponent to advantage the team. Tough as nails and rarely beaten. Any Geelong supporter knows his value to the team.

As for the brain fade as someone called it against Carlton, Silvagni even said it was blown way out of proportion - the fact that he hit his head on landing and got KO'd made the thing look a whole lot worse than it was. OK, the clapping wasn't clever, but emotions do tend to run high when playing footy.

Underestimate him at your peril.

Cheers
TW

Every team would like one Dasher in their side I think. He is the type of bloke that if you were going off to war you would want him by your side.

Definately one of the most underated players in the competition at the moment. :)

Just Average...

As for the brain fade as someone called it against Carlton, Silvagni even said it was blown way out of proportion - the fact that he hit his head on landing and got KO'd made the thing look a whole lot worse than it was. OK, the clapping wasn't clever, but emotions do tend to run high when playing footy.

While we can all agree that the bump he gave SOS is part of the game and fair enough, it was his antics afterwards when he showed no respect to the player he KO'd, laughing and clapping his way off the ground that upset alot of people.

Originally posted by Hornet
Just Average...

While we can all agree that the bump he gave SOS is part of the game and fair enough, it was his antics afterwards when he showed no respect to the player he KO'd, laughing and clapping his way off the ground that upset alot of people.

I have said it before and I'll say it again - I personally believe that his clapping was not a reflection of his respect of Silvagni as you put it, however a response to the Carlton supporters going bananas at him from the fence. I guess only Dasher knows the answer to that one, but I firmly believe it was merely a response to the abuse he was receiving from the supporters.

If a champion from my team was KO'd, I am sure I too would have gone bananas, so this is not a reflection of the Carlton supporters either - a natural response in a very emotional game.

Cheers
TW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Jars458
was just answering the question.

geelong games don't particularly interest me

dont remember much about him other than he gets a lot of the ball as eviedenced by stats.

what are your thoughts?

I've already given my thoughts on him Jars, but if you feel the need to give us a statement that states that you don't have a statement, knock yourself out.

And for the record, all games interest me, but hey I'm a lover of football, as one eyed as you can get, but occasionally I open the other eye just to make sure my opinions are based on something other than my gut feel.

Each to his own.

Cheers
TW

Solid competent League footballer, not spectacular, but not a hack. Which is pretty much the embodiment of Geelong.

Originally posted by T.W.Sherrin
Do I really have to spell it out to you? - oh hang on sorry, just read your name. Enough said.

Why did you name yourself after the Collingwood legend?

Originally posted by Jars458
geelong games don't particularly interest me

About sums things up for me. Geelong are the only team I have nothing but indifference for.

If they win I don't care.

If they lose I don't care.

Originally posted by hotpie
Why did you name yourself after the Collingwood legend?

I didn't realise he was a collingwood legend at the time I created my name, which has been pointed out to me before, but thankyou again for reminding me.

I used that name because I love the footies they produce - and it said that I was a lover of footy - to be honest I just thought it was a company - silly me.

Lord knows I don't want to be associated with anything Collingwood - or any other team for that matter (besides Geelong) - maybe I should change it.

Cheers
TW

Remove this Banner Ad

What were peoples thoughts on Darren Milburn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back