What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

So dial up the rhetoric then?

I think the point is that everyone in politics can tone it down a little and act with some more civility. Which is exactly I call on everyone to do, right now.
Why was the Airbus Albo rhetoric fine, but when the tables are turned, we need to 'dial it down' for the sake of civility?

It's the hypocrisy that gets me, people like Dutton and Trump dial up the rhetoric, then when it gets too much, suggest the burden is on others to tone everything down.

Why was the Airbus Albo rhetoric fine, but when the tables are turned, we need to 'dial it down' for the sake of civility?

It's the hypocrisy that gets me, people like Dutton and Trump dial up the rhetoric, then when it gets too much, suggest the burden is on others to tone everything down.

Did you not think I was talking about Dutton?

I wasn't engaging in any criticism of the Prime Minister going overseas - it's part of his job.

Did you not think I was talking about Dutton?

I wasn't engaging in any criticism of the Prime Minister going overseas - it's part of his job.
You were responding to a post that suggested Dutton needed to be called out for his travel and suggested we all needed to dial it down, which seems to me like saying time-out on the criticism. Apologies if that was not how it was intended but it's hard to see it any other way. And there is a tendency for these populist politicians to demand a time-out on rhetoric, right after they've dialed it up and the chickens are about to come home to roost.

You were responding to a post that suggested Dutton needed to be called out for his travel and suggested we all needed to dial it down, which seems to me like saying time-out on the criticism. Apologies if that was not how it was intended but it's hard to see it any other way. And there is a tendency for these populist politicians to demand a time-out on rhetoric, right after they've dialed it up and the chickens are about to come home to roost.

Sorry I was responding to another post which got deleted (and I didn't quote) - it was Senator Paterson commenting on political violence.

Probably one of Duttons best statements in terms of his position on the Union's regulatory administrator appointment.

Will be interesting to see how Albo handles this.

Dutton has somehow managed to seem logical in seeking accountability so far.

So dial up the rhetoric then?

I think the point is that everyone in politics can tone it down a little and act with some more civility. Which is exactly I call on everyone to do, right now.
i think politicians talking about how violence isn't acceptable when they enact and promote it every day is a bit rich

oh now that the violence might be directed at you personally there is no place for it?

funny that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did they get that fashy/authoritarian?
Early 2000's

Alex Hawke, the next generation;
“The army was great, I would have gone mad without that,” he says. “You can see why uni people go and do a lot of drinking and probably drugs – because there’s not enough to do.” Arts students on Austudy or Abstudy, he tells me, are “blatant frauds because they could go get jobs and complete their studies. They’re just coasting off taxpayers’ funds, rubbing people’s faces in it.” Alex often skipped lectures because he was on active duty, but out of a Reserve class of 120 he was one of 20 who graduated. “The training is very tough, very very tough.”

Alex is currently an assistant to the ultra-conservative state MP David Clarke, who can perhaps claim some of the credit for his protege’s rise to the NSW Young Liberal presidency. In his maiden speech in 2003, Clarke promised to “uphold and advocate the conservative, mainstream and Christian-based truths and values that I believe our nation is based upon … with missionary zeal”.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/month...morrow039s-liberal-leaders-have-issues-ga#mtr

What did people expect from the ALPs watered down NACC? The way the ALP defunded and disempowered Victoria's IBAC to protect Dan made it pretty clear the ALP was just pretending to care about integrity

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Labor does genuinely govern for more people than the LNP but their supporters take that to mean they’re altruistic and seekers of justice. They’re not. They’re straighter than the LNP (not that it’s an achievement) but just likes the Libs, they will do anything to get and stay in power. Incl pork barrelling, which is what the grants stuff is.

Labor does genuinely govern for more people than the LNP but their supporters take that to mean they’re altruistic and seekers of justice. They’re not. They’re straighter than the LNP (not that it’s an achievement) but just likes the Libs, they will do anything to get and stay in power. Incl pork barrelling, which is what the grants stuff is.
Yep the better option out of the 2 but they are really Liberal Lite these days.

thug has always been and will always be nothing more than piss and wind.

I love how they talk about “releasing” costings.

Call him out.

There are no costings and no policy. There is nothing to release.

They write a press release and that is it.

It harks back to the days of the pandemic when Morrison would get up and wave a piece of paper around with “Step 2” or “Step 3A” of “the plan to reopen” and how they would “reveal policy settings as appropriate”. The plan was literally a piece of ****ing paper.

Ffs.

There. Is. No. Policy.

It’s all performative.

Probably one of Duttons best statements in terms of his position on the Union's regulatory administrator appointment.

Will be interesting to see how Albo handles this.

Dutton has somehow managed to seem logical in seeking accountability so far.
Problem for the Libs is that they cried Wolf too many times about the Unions. They had a Royal Commission into the Unions not that long ago, and found next-to-nothing.

The LNP have called for an end to all unions all the time. So it's difficult to take them at face value.

Take Victoria. For all their faults the andrews merlino Allan govt have raised the standard in preparing Victoria infrastructure for population increase similar to the gold rush years….with no gold rush to pay for it.

Yet the age hun etc is constantly presenting the govt as the worst in this space. Som is warranted but some is just unhinged opposition. Their happily conflating unions and interest rates right now.

Take Victoria. For all their faults the andrews merlino Allan govt have raised the standard in preparing Victoria infrastructure for population increase similar to the gold rush years….with no gold rush to pay for it.

Yet the age hun etc is constantly presenting the govt as the worst in this space. Som is warranted but some is just unhinged opposition. Their happily conflating unions and interest rates right now.

Because infrastructure budget blowouts are directly related to the practices of the CFMEU detailed in the reporting last week, like taxpayer funded cars for criminals who "work" as safety inspectors but are too busy driving themselves to hospitals after being shot by associates to look after construction worker safety.

Civil construction workers were paid well under AWU contracts before 2014 - ask Bill Shorten.

Remove this Banner Ad

What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back