What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

A vote for Dutton is to remove protections for abortion.

If you're a woman, you simply cannot vote for this disgusting human.
Not sure that is true.

Protection to abortion rights is a state/territory issue and, as you like me are from SA, it's important to remember that in 1969, South Australia became the first Australian jurisdiction to legislate for the lawful medical termination of pregnancy when necessary to protect the life or health of a pregnant person. (back in the days when South Australia was at the forefront of social reform - those days are long gone with the religious right with a firm foothold in both the SA ALP and Liberal parties).

Abortion has now been fully decriminalised in all states and territories of Australia - although I think that references to the provision of abortion care is still in the criminal codes in Western Australia. There are also variations between states/territories with respect to the particular medical procedures available at certain gestation periods.

The danger to protections for abortions is real - but at the state/territory level from the religious right who are seeking to wind back the reforms of the past 50 years and taking legislative action to take it out of the hands of women and their medical carers. As we saw in the SA Upper House last week, BOTH the ALP and Liberal Party have shied away from taking a firm policy position on this issue and have allowed individual members to take a conscience vote - this has allowed religious organisations to exert leverage and intimidation on all sides of politics, although that influence is far more visible and pervasive within state L/LNP branches than it is within the ALP.

I have no doubt that Dutton and certain other conservative aligned politicians at the Federal level would love to use abortion rights as a Trumpian style wedge issue in the lead up to the next election. But my point of clarification is that the very real danger to abortion rights in Australia lies elsewhere and is already upon us.

Last edited:
There are prominent members of Dutton's party room coming out against Jacinta Price's comments on abortion. I would tap the brakes on any suggestions that this is something the party will pursue, but there's no denying there are party members who would be very happy with Price's comments.

As more and more of these "conservative" political action conferences pop up, we're going to see more and more stuff like this come out from them.

A vote for Dutton is to remove protections for abortion.

If you're a woman, you simply cannot vote for this disgusting human.
That is a complete lie.

Back it up.

Also note the seperation between Crisafulli and Dutton. They are never seen together. Dutton is pragmatic, not batshit crazy.

That is a complete lie.

Back it up.

Also note the seperation between Crisafulli and Dutton. They are never seen together. Dutton is pragmatic, not batshit crazy.

People said the same republicans in the US would never let it happen, despite what their base supporters wanted. That turned out well

Got a link to pics of this?

These all say things like "The U.S. Department of Defense is pursuing the concept".

I thought the way you were talking about it that it had been achieved.

Remove this Banner Ad

What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back