What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

So it no longer generates?

the concept is one pumps water upwards (using energy), then released down providing 150 hours of 2.2GW (but less than what was used to pump upwards).

It is a great idea but a costly one. In the absence of nuclear, and better than damming rivers, it is a good project.

There are issues though and Snowy Hydro is already telling government it can not meet its mandate in 2028.

Proven not affective?
Ask south Australians how many black out since they had batteries….
Brocken Hill now has power again thanks to FIRM renewables which includes batteries …. 👍

effective:

There is not one jurisdiction on the planet with a renewables strategy based on wind and solar, that delivers low CO2 (14-70g CO2 per kWh), unless it is supported by hydro or nuclear.

Meanwhile jurisdictions like tassie, NZ, ontario, france, sweden etc delivered low CO2 in the 1980s.

Sunk costs mean that existing end of life plants are cheap up until the point they need to be upgraded, then renewables are far cheaper.

renewables by themselves (without hydro or nuclear) do not deliver clean energy

the concept is one pumps water upwards (using energy), then released down providing 150 hours of 2.2GW (but less than what was used to pump upwards).

It is a great idea but a costly one. In the absence of nuclear, and better than damming rivers, it is a good project.

There are issues though and Snowy Hydro is already telling government it can not meet its mandate in 2028.

Snowy 2 will be able to power 3 million homes for a week….
Wind and solar will pump the water back up…

There is also a thing called rain.

effective:

There is not one jurisdiction on the planet with a renewables strategy based on wind and solar, that delivers low CO2 (14-70g CO2 per kWh), unless it is supported by hydro or nuclear.

Meanwhile jurisdictions like tassie, NZ, ontario, france, sweden etc delivered low CO2 in the 1980s.

There isn’t yet …. But there is a thing called transitioning….

California and Texas are leading the way… Australia will overtake them soon…

exciting times…

renewables by themselves (without hydro or nuclear) do not deliver clean energy

Renewables need storage … Firm renewables includes battteries …. The first large scale Battery anywhere in the world was in South Australia….
It’s new to every jurisdiction….
Be patient because it won’t be long before Batteries absorb the excess renewables in the grid.

Exciting times.

Last edited:
Renewables need storage … Firm renewables includes battteries …. The first large scale Battery anywhere in the world was in South Australia….
It’s new to every jurisdiction….
Be patient because it won’t belong before Batteries absorb the excess renewables in the grid.

Exciting times.

I agree batteries are improving but what cost are they today and what has to happen to metal prices for them to decrease?

FYI - i visited NIO's facilities last month, along with Longi, GCL, CATL, Jinko etc. I'm excited by the future but also pragmatic when it comes to what the limitations are on energy storage and production technology can deliver.

FYI 2 - My biggest financial exposure is: UHPQ for solar panels, silane for solar and semiconductors, nano silicon for batteries and hydrogen.

There isn’t yet …. But there is a thing called transitioning….

California and Texas are leading the way… Australia will overtake them soon…

exciting times…

california and texas are dirty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can thank mass production in china …..

That’s not correct

Local government in china has been subsidising production of batteries and solar panels to encourage production in their jurisdiction

There is four times more solar capacity than global demand, which is leading to low prices but also government bankruptcy

Australia is entering the race with $2b to add more capacity

California achieves 100% renewable energy for 100 days​

Great…..so what is their CO2 per kWh?

200 plus?

And 70 plus percent more expensive than the national average

Isn’t it interesting that the facts don’t marry the narrative?

Last edited:
Great…..so what is their CO2 per kWh?

200 plus?

And 70 plus percent more expensive than the national average

Isn’t it interesting that the facts don’t marry the narrative?
Huh?

So now that I’ve supplied you with examples of Jurisdiction ….. you’ve jumped to the cost …. Do you think the transition from fossil fuels to renewables should bare no costs?

Renewables in Australia is bringing the wholesale price down…. Blame the retailers for not passing this cost on.
At the moment most retailers are giving sign on bonuses to avoid bringing prices down.

Last edited:
That’s not correct

Local government in china has been subsidising production of batteries and solar panels to encourage production in their jurisdiction

There is four times more solar capacity than global demand, which is leading to low prices but also government bankruptcy

Australia is entering the race with $2b to add more capacity

In a world first mass production doesn’t bring price down …. Wow your insight is invaluable.

Do you think china doesnt understand that in order to help save the planet that there is a cost involved?

They have the capability to produce 10’s of millions of EVs per year… these EVs are having a massive effect on pollution in it’s cities…New York now has more pollution than most Chinese cities… China decided not to wait for the rest of the world and the legacy car makers to make EVs.

Australia is going to benefit massively from China if we don’t go bat sh!t crazy and put tariffs on EVs and Batteries like North America and Europe.

1 million EVs connected to the grid via V2G will almost single Handley solve your storage issues…

Exciting times

I'm all for renewables and storage. However, to what extent are large battery fires going to be a hazard in the future when they're widely installed domestically like solar panels? I've heard that once they catch fire, firefighters give up and I've seen a video claiming to show an electric bus burning to a crisp in seconds. I'm surprised Dutton and the COALition haven't done any scaremongering about it.

I'm all for renewables and storage. However, to what extent are large battery fires going to be a hazard in the future when they're widely installed domestically like solar panels? I've heard that once they catch fire, firefighters give up and I've seen a video claiming to show an electric bus burning to a crisp in seconds. I'm surprised Dutton and the COALition haven't done any scaremongering about it.

I have a home battery … it’s completely safe, it’s not the old lithium ion, it’s lithium phosphate and it’s safer than my BBQ gas bottle statistically…

All you need to know in the Dutton space is his policy is to have no policy

And even if the lib leader was moderate, the rump of denialists would neuter them.

How did Australia get to the state where the extremes call the shots? It wasn’t always that way

All you need to know in the Dutton space is his policy is to have no policy

And even if the lib leader was moderate, the rump of denialists would neuter them.

How did Australia get to the state where the extremes call the shots? It wasn’t always that way
GFC was the tipping point I argue. A bunch of people realised they could do whatever they wanted without any consequences which coupled with the explosion of digital media has led us here.

Remove this Banner Ad

What would a Dutton Liberal leadership mean for the Liberals and the country?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back