What's the best case scenario for 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't say that they were a great group of players. But they are our players. The represent 5 years worth of drafting and development investment. We need to try and get a return on the investment. And with so many players failing to come on we have to consider that our development program and coaching might be part of the problems aswell. It is a pretty big deal to throw our entire second tier out the door.

Which 17 year olds do we have banging down the doors to selection with great WAFL form do you want us to replace them with? You forgot to tell us the names of these great 17 year olds on our list that we are refusing to play.

And your standards are pretty unrealistic. if a player hasn't won a Brownlow or become AA by 50 games they are worthless and we should just chuck them out. How many players in our clubs history were AA standard within 50 games? Probably none except Judd. In fact many decent players are never AA. I don't remember Sheed, Barass or Cripps even being AA. Should we have sacked them all 5 - 10 years ago? You don't have to be AA to be contributing and winning your position more often than not.
Again ...

I can see little sense putting more games into e.g. Witherden, Waterman, Langdon, Rotham, Petrucelle. At best they are honest toilers, at worst list cloggers. How many more games do they need to fulfil their 'potential'? Sure, if we don't have a younger player to fill a position then give them a game. But I'd rather be taking a punt on the younger players who'll be with us in 7-10 years even though it's likely some may get no further than the above names.

I didn't say that they were a great group of players. But they are our players. The represent 5 years worth of drafting and development investment. We need to try and get a return on the investment. And with so many players failing to come on we have to consider that our development program and coaching might be part of the problems aswell. It is a pretty big deal to throw our entire second tier out the door.

Which 17 year olds do we have banging down the doors to selection with great WAFL form do you want us to replace them with? You forgot to tell us the names of these great 17 year olds on our list that we are refusing to play.

And your standards are pretty unrealistic. if a player hasn't won a Brownlow or become AA by 50 games they are worthless and we should just chuck them out. How many players in our clubs history were AA standard within 50 games? Probably none except Judd. In fact many decent players are never AA. I don't remember Sheed, Barass or Cripps even being AA. Should we have sacked them all 5 - 10 years ago? You don't have to be AA to be contributing and winning your position more often than not.
Didn't mention 17yos. Just thinking of the existing players with less than say 50 games getting a better go. And not having them sit in the Beagles behind the 2nd tier list cloggers.

As to AA etc, I don't expect the second tiers to all be AA etc. Just reckon none - not one - of them have shown even the faintest likelihood of even getting close to being AA. Not one. And that they'd pretty much all be selected in the second half of our team. As you say we've invested years in them. As some point we might have to admit they weren't worth it. 'Potential' is okay for a junior but after 50-100 games?

Agree we need to get more out of the second tier but I can't see that happening on the basis of what they've shown in their 50-100 games. But e.g. try Rotham in the ruck or forward. Or change the body shape of some to be better suited to different roles.

I guess it depends on whether we judge 7th-10th as success.

I think being realistic the best case scenario for 2023 is to finish 5 to 8 if everything goes perfectly and the older players can turn back the clock.

Realistically id hope gor a ladder postion of 10-14

My expectations would be as follows.

1) No more excuses, players fitter than they have ever been. Massive off season for our coaches and conditioning staff.
2) Game plan turned on its head, it’s not just about faster ball movement, we set up poorly in defence and very poorly forward. We don’t spread as forwards and make life extremely easy for our opponents. Midfield needs complete overhaul as we all know. Huge season for Simmo and Coaches to make the changes required to start building a good team again. Winning and losing secondary to how we play.

A+ = Flag
A = top 4
A- = top 6
B+ = top 8
B or B- = 8 to 10 wins
C = 6 to 8 wins
F = <6 wins
Give the state of our squad, you'd lower these gradings;

A+ = win a final
A= Make the 8
B+ = challenge for 8 but just miss out
B = solid year with 6-8 wins and close loses, including taking a scalp along the way
C = 4-6 wins
D and below = Less than 4 wins

- Establish Optus Stadium as a challenging away game for other teams. Only top four teams (and Freo) should be able to beat us at home. This probably won't happen in 2023, but the fortress needs to be rebuilt.

- Pump games into our next premiership midfield. I could see Hough and Culley being two key members, possibly L. Edwards as well, as well as Chesser. I will wait and see who we draft, but you would hope we can draft an elite midfielder. O'Neill is an interesting one, will still only be 22 at the beginning of the 2023 season, and he has made significant improvements this year, but his ceiling doesn't seem as high as the others.

- Ideally, B. Williams continues his form from his game against the Cats, and becomes the quality ruckman we need. Otherwise, we need to jump on the Ruck merry go round again and find a 23-27 yr old ruckman to fill the gap Naitanui will leave when he retires.

- Allen comes back fit and firing, and forms a potent partnership with Darling. Hopefully, the step up from being the third tall to the second isn't too much for him.

- A Young defender stands up, and proves they are worthy to take on Hurn's role in 2024. Could be Bazzo, Witherden, Rotham or Foley. I am not counting Cole as I have him earmarked for Sheppard's lockdown role.
Like this, and would add that a draftee (currently unknown) has a big year and plays 20 odd games.

A bunch of improvement and positive signs from a wide variety of younger players along with more consistent performances game by game.

I'm not so much worried about ladder position, unless we surprise significantly to the upside like 2011.

I think being realistic the best case scenario for 2023 is to finish 5 to 8 if everything goes perfectly and the older players can turn back the clock.

Realistically id hope gor a ladder postion of 10-14
If we made the finals in 23 that would be an AMAZING effort

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I will always respect Simpson for winning us the 2018 flag

But lets not kid ourselves, he is soft on the players. There was no putting the acid on the players, no taking them to task, no real accountability, so many were out of shape this year and yet again, they got a free selection pass each and every week

I have long maintained, and will continue to maintain, that Simpson works best with a head kicker as on offsider, because he refuses to be the bad guy.
Now in that regard, i do genuinely regard Knights and Schofield as headkickers.
What is your source of this information?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My expectations would be as follows.

1) No more excuses, players fitter than they have ever been. Massive off season for our coaches and conditioning staff.
2) Game plan turned on its head, it’s not just about faster ball movement, we set up poorly in defence and very poorly forward. We don’t spread as forwards and make life extremely easy for our opponents. Midfield needs complete overhaul as we all know. Huge season for Simmo and Coaches to make the changes required to start building a good team again. Winning and losing secondary to how we play.
That would be turing the corner

The 2 best scenarios for me would be:

a) Seeing some positive development of younger players, players given opportunity or dropped based on form rather than credits, and more phyical/attacking (i.e. time to hunt) mindset in the squad;

OR

b) Greg Clark cracking open Simmos and Nesbitts skulls, and feasting on the goo inside.

Willie Rioli will be at another club. After all the support the club has given him, this is how he repays them.

If he ends up at Port Adelaide, he can Join Scott Lycett who also jumped ship. Hopefully we get something in return if rioli leaves

Fyfe, Waterman & Langdon to Claremont
JK to East Fremantle.

Wait for all drafts & trading to be done will let ya know.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the best case scenario for 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back